Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having a conversation lastnight with a Triscuit box...I have decided to go low carb due to my family history of diabetes...My weigh in this morning was 264lbs...my height is 5' 10"...and a size 20w...will be adding my measurements later(once I find the tape). Mt goal weight is 180lbs or a size 12. I will post my daily struggles and once a week weigh in...will also share some before, during, and after photos(so no laughing). If you'd like to post your support,it would be most appreciated as it's hard to do it alone. If you are also wanting to lose weight and need support I can offer it as well. Thanks so much! Janine

Breakfast- bacon,eggs,cheddar cheese...total carbs 6

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks Janine for starting this:) I'm going to be joining in probably won't make low but I do need to restrict as I'm a huuuuge carbohydrate fan & I've just been told I'm pre-diabetic ie at big risk of developing, so weight needs to go and sugar needs to be sorted.
I had started already by switching out to decaf tea (big one for me) Seems that tea/coffe interferes with insulin production. I had 2 and a half stone lost but I've put back up half a stone & need to loose another 2 stone.. What's that in American?
Lost - 28pounds.
still to loose - 35 pounds.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Thats awesome Janine, I'm glad you are making healthier choices for yourself. Way to go! DH and I have majorly changed the way we eat and now we feel better, have more energy and he's lost 10 lbs and I've lost 7 lbs in the last 5 weeks since we've started. We are focusing more on the healthier eating aspect rather than the losing weight aspect - that's a side benefit. We're getting older and realized we have to change things up if we want to stay healthy and live longer.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Good luck. DH made the change years ago and it had a great effect on his health and his energy levels.

It can be a struggle at first as you adapt to different foods. Just try and focus on what you CAN have (fresh fruit and vegs, nuts, dairy, etc.) and not what you have to give up.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'll join. Dh and I have been doing well last 3 months...but from now until Christmas will be a challenge.

Myfitnesspal is a good app to track food. Once you realize how much fat carbs and sugar are in your favorite treat it doesn't taste as good!

·
Registered
9,304 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I thankful we already had Thanksgiving(Canadian). So just Christmas to worry about lol. No I think if I'm prepared it will be just fine. I sure appreciate the recipes...so if you come across anymore please feel free to post them here.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
You can do it! There are so many good low carb recipes. If you like tuna one of my all time favorite lunch salads is a bag of broccoli slaw, a smashed avocado, 1/2 a chopped onion, a can of tuna and mayo . I could eat it daily!

I follow a paleo plan to keep my BG in check. I however eat just darn to much. I just joined TOPS for the accountability of getting weighed in weekly. I had just shared in an email with another Villager that my goal is to make it through to Jan 1 without my normal gain. I hope to lose don't get me wrong but no holiday gain in goal 1.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I learned a lesson yesterday...Do not start a lifestyle change on the SAME day of hosting a dinner party...ate 2 brownies lastnight...should have sent it home with guests instead...then it wouldn't have been wasted...and I wouldn't have eaten it...but other than that...it was a good day. Today is a fresh start...breakfast will be eggs and spinach with green tea and ice water.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Congrats on getting started. :clap: That's sometimes the hardest part but I think you've taken the biggest step by putting your goals out here.

Someone mentioned eating healthy with lots of vegetables. That is something that has worked best for me in the past - knowing I can eat all the veggies I want and placing focus on healthy eating vs. dieting or elimination of certain foods. The minute I tell myself I'm on a "diet" all I want to do is eat, eat, eat. Immediate and instantaneous cravings. And not for the good stuff. :(

Another thing that works well for some people is eating 5-6 very small meals each day. With advance meal planning, you can just divide your meals up rather than having the traditional 3 meals. That helps regulate blood sugar which is one of the drivers of hunger and cravings. 5-6 small meals is frequently recommended for diabetics. The website for American Diabetes Association: American Diabetes Association Home Page - American Diabetes Association
If you go to the Food and Fitness section, there are some good recipes and ideas. Take a look at My Food Advisor - lots of info. Home - MyFoodAdvisor™

As for the brownies, don't deprive yourself of something you really want. If you want a brownie, allow yourself to have s small one. If you're feeling deprived it is much more difficult to stick with a program. Plus, once you see those numbers going down, you may not even want the sweet treats.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I carry my weight in the stomach,so I guess I would be apple shaped as was my grandma on my dads size and his sisters... they were all 5'2".
I don't want to be diabetic so at the age of 32 I need to make a change. Breakfast was really filling, I heated half a cup cream in a frying pan and the added 2 tbs of herb and garlic cream cheese to make a sauce..then added 3 cups fresh spinach and cooked until wilted down, then added 2 xlarge eggs. Does anyone know if green tea has carbs? It doesn't say on the box. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Posting my food diary on this thread, cause I'm not so good at writing it on paper.

Lunch steamed garlic/butter mussels-4g carb
1cup steamed broccoli and butter- 2g carb
tea and water to drink

Supper 5 oz leftover beef with3 tbs mayo sauce-0g carb
raw cauliflower w/ dip-3g carb
boccacini cheese balls(10)-1g carb
tea and water to drink

todays total carb count 16 grams

The librarian reccommended a low carb recipe book this afternoon...reading it now and there are tons of food options to make this a lifestyle choice permanently. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Brewed tea and coffee of all kinds, as long as it is unsweetened, has little or no carbs. It is fine to drink on a low carb diet. You can even put cream in it. Milk does have natural sugars, so should be avoided.

Reactions: Sophiasmama

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I carry my weight in the stomach,so I guess I would be apple shaped as was my grandma on my dads size and his sisters... they were all 5'2".
I don't want to be diabetic so at the age of 32 I need to make a change. Breakfast was really filling, I heated half a cup cream in a frying pan and the added 2 tbs of herb and garlic cream cheese to make a sauce..then added 3 cups fresh spinach and cooked until wilted down, then added 2 xlarge eggs. Does anyone know if green tea has carbs? It doesn't say on the box. Thanks for reading!
That sounds awesome. I'm going to try that recipe.

Reactions: Sophiasmama

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for answering my question about green tea. It is how i like to finish my meals.
Lastnight before bed I had a snack of 1.5 oz cheddar cheese and 3 oz kubi which was 4 grams on carbs meeting my 20 gram limit for the day.

Today I will try make cauli(fried)rice from the low carb recipe book...and making Franks red hot chicken wings and I will even be able to dip them in a couple tbs of ranch dressing...MMmmm

·
Registered
694 Posts
Btw watch out for too much sugar. After all that's what carbs are, complex sugars. Too much sugar is stored as fat.

Low carb is a good way to go but don't neglect other areas like your sugar intake (dips, sauces). Recommended sugar intake is very low. I had a hard time keeping under my limit when I tracked my food.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts