Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few articles I found after hearing an news report on NPR

Companies scramble to get what they need Story ends with "He says he suspects the trend — called "near-sourcing" — will become more popular after the disaster in Japan."
Japan Crisis A Threat To Companies' Supply Routes : NPR

another article "Japan's quake roils supply chain Last week's earthquake in Japan has disrupted global electronics supply chains, sparking concerns about higher component costs and shortages. "
Disaster in Japan hits electronics pricing Therese Poletti's Tech Tales - MarketWatch

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm heading back to college now that I've been laid-off from my job, and I need to buy a laptop. I was thinking of waiting until May, since I'll take a few summer courses starting after Memorial Day. Now I'm thinking maybe I'd better go ahead and order the thing. The article you linked to even mentions Dell... which is where I will order it.

Of course, I'm cynical of most companies.... will they use this as an excuse to raise prices even if their costs don't go up? Or is this just typical of oil companies?

And of course another part of me feels so guilty and petty for worrying about saving a few bucks on a computer in the midst of all of Japan's devastation. :cry:

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
There are already shortages happening in Asia as a result of this. Our Korean boarder had a phone call from home the other day and was told not to come home between semesters. South Korea is undergoing monetary inflation and consumer goods are hard to get these days. The hotels are full of Japanese fleeing Japan.

A friend pointed out that Japan has been buying up US debt for years. The US better be in there helping out, cuz if the Japanese decide to call the US on that debt to rebuild, it could have severe consequences for the US...and the rest of the world.

But that's scare mongering. I think world leaders are smart enough they won't want to cause a worldwide economic collapse just yet!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.