Frugal Village Forums banner

Job Search

Tags
job search
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Edna_E 
#1 ·
I am still searching for a job after being unemployed for almost 5 months. My obstacle is that I don't know if I should put my last job on my resume. I was there for almost 7 months, the last three months that I was there managment changed and the new manager started "cleaning house." He got rid of more than half of the employees to bring in people he already knew from his last job. I was terminated with no reason and I was told that they didn't need to give me a reason. I came in on a Tuesday and there was a box on my desk and the new manager handed me my termination letter. I was in shock, I knew others were being let go right and left but I had been a very hard worker and had never even had a warning or anything against me (ever)(plus I was fairly new). It was a very small office that I worked in and I had a feeling that everyone was being replaced.

I want to leave this place off my resume and work history, because I have enough employment experience without using them. I just want to know if a new employer would be able to figure out that I didn't put this place down and question me about it. Do employers have access to work history if the employee doesn't volunteer it? The job started out fine and I liked the actual work and my co workers and original manager, but 4 months into my job the new manager came in and turned the place upside down. He was a nightmare to put up with (verbally abusive and rude) and it was worse because he kept letting people go.

I need advice, I plan to just leave them off and put down the part time work I was doing during this time frame to prove that I was working. Does anyone know if leaving them off will come back to haunt me? I would never use them as a reference because there is no one that I worked with left at the small company to give me the kudos I deserve. I have never been in this position before and would rather avoid the hassle of mentioning the experience. Just wondering if a future employer could do a back ground check and find out I didn't put this job down. I don't want this awful experience to jeapordize any future employment in anyway.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think that whoever fired you, did so wrongfully first off.

2ndly new employers can do a credit check and see only the names of businesses you were employed, most often than not, potential employers do not ask "How come you didnt write down this one?" If it so happens they did, then you can give the explanation you gave here or something to the effect of: New Management took over and older employess were let go, therefore leaving no-one to vouch for my work history or ethics."

Another thing I notice is most companies do not actually call older employers for a reference, if it so happens they do, give them a phone number of someone who did know your work ethics, even if they were let go as well.

I wish you the best of luck, I have kept off certain jobs off my resume and never has it come back to haunt me, keep your head high!

#3 ·
I have been "laid-off" and"downsized" as well. I put it on my resume and when they ask that is all I tell them. Restructuring happens all the time now and interviewers are used to it. I have the burden of being from South Mississippi and moved after Hurricane Katrina. There isn't a single business I worked at that is still operating. I tried to get new contact information but wasn't able to. I put a line on my resume that states that fact. What I have been able to do is get letters of reference from people I worked with (professional as opposed to personal references) and I offer to bring those in to the interview or fax them/mail them in.

G
#4 ·
Just think about what a resume is - it's a listing of all of your good qualities that make an employer want to hire you. It's not a legal document that must contain all of your work history. There is one job in my work history that I never put on a resume - the only job I've ever quit and it was just a terrible situation - and I don't think that anyone will intentionally dig around to look for it. Don't worry about not putting it on your resume. I have never heard of any employer looking up someone's employment history and asking them in an interview why it's not on their resume, and if they did, you can always just tell them that it's not relevant to the position you're applying for. FrugalMomof3 is right in saying that they can do a credit check and might get the employers name, although every time I pull my own they never have my current employer - always one that I had worked for at some point in the past. So I wouldn't sweat it.

In being an honest person, I would list the job if you have to fill out an application that specifically asks for your previous employer. But in no way are you obligated to offer this information on your resume.

#5 ·
Thank you for all your advice. What I am afraid of most is leaving this place off my resume and then the potential employer seeing it on my application and wondering why I didn't list it on the resume and thinking less of me if I have to check that I was "terminated." I guess the worst part about being "terminated" is not having a clear answer of why this happend (other than new managment let most of the current employees go).

#6 ·
I have a period of time that shows on my resume as "various jobs for income, not career related" which gets me off the hook of discussing each in detail, and it is true. I have occasionally been asked about it, with a response of "hmm, that makes sense" or once "What a creative way to cover that!" I have always read that your resume should not leave anything out that occurred in the last 10 years, but it doesn't necessarily require great detail. I'd list the job title, company, and dates, but leave off anything else UNLESS there are skills you developed there that you want to highlight. Otherwise, it is simply insignificant - treat it as such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.