Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has been searching for work for a couple months now. We are starting to get second interviews and a lot more first interviews. There is a company 5 hours away near my parents' place that is sort of interested in him. They have said stop by if you are in the area. We wouldn't be averse to moving down there and were thinking that if we were in the area anyway, we could research that company and some others too.

Well. My family has a little reunion the second weekend in October. We were thinking of going to it and working in the visits either on the way down or on the way back up. It would cost us 2-2 1/2 tanks of gas plus food. We'd be staying at my parents or the reunion spot ($5/day - owned by the family, $ for upkeep). So for around $200 or less (probably much less) we could have a vacation plus job search stuff.

Worthwhile or not?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Have your husband contact the hiring manager and set up a formal interview. Research other potential employers and set up formal interviews. I've never heard of interviewing with a company and them not paying for his travel and accomodations. Make it formal and they should foot the bill.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Let's be honest ... you want to go to the family reunion. If it weren't for that, you wouldn't be "researching" jobs in that area. I have no idea if you can afford a vacation at this time. Only you can decide that.

You can't collect unemployment for the days you are out of state unless you have a bona fide interview. "Drop in sometimes if you're in the area" isn't an interview. If they want you for an interview, they'll pay your travel expenses. They don't pay for the travel expenses unless you've already had a telephone interview or two.

When hubby was unemployed if applied for jobs all across the country and internationally. We didn't go anywhere. We couldn't afford to. $200 is money I wished I had when the grocery budget got really tight.

I vote for not going unless and until you're employed - unless of course, you are independently wealthy and don't really need income from a job.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I say "Go for it!". Count it as a mental health break. Go and enjoy the reunion.

Reactions: MissSeetonFan

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only part of the unemployment reporting about having left the area in the past week is whether or not we have been out of the country, at least the way it is presented in his weekly reporting. Since this company is not only in country but is also in state, we are covered (yes, 5 hours away is in state). We are interested in the area. We are researching other companies in the same area as well as trying to set up something formal with this one company.

Yes, we do want to go to the reunion and yes, this is a justification. We do have a bit of cash reserves we can use for this. But it helps to be faced with the reality of what is going on.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've never heard of such a thing. Do you have some online source for this information?
Yes, my husband was on unemployment for 14-months. Everytime he went out of state for a job interview it was a huge hassle and delayed the unemployment check because they had to talk to him by phone to verify that he wasn't just taking a vacation. (During this time my best friend died and he came with me out of state for the funeral - we didn't get paid in full that week and he was only gone out of state on Sat and Sun!) It got so bad one state unemployment rep told him to just lie and say that the interview was in state. Luckily he got a job offer before he ever had to do that.

Another thing you can't do while on unemployment is volunteer. It broke my husband's heart because he used to go down to the veteran's cemetery every year to help them mount flags for Veterans Day. He couldn't go because that was against the rules - stupid I know. I know there are people who would have gone anyway but my husband is THAT honest. And it IS a silly rule because volunteering is a great way to build word-of-mouth-contacts in order to get job leads.

It is that the state wants you to spend every waking moment looking for a job. And since unemployment benefits are paid by state (with federal dollars) you are supposed to be getting a new job in your home state. In our case that was ironic since my hubby only had one customer in our home state. The rest of the work hubby did was across the country and international. Even the company that he worked for was out of state. The only in-state presence that they had was hubby's home office - ha, ha.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Yes, my husband was on unemployment for 14-months. Everytime he went out of state for a job interview it was a huge hassle and delayed the unemployment check because they had to talk to him by phone to verify that he wasn't just taking a vacation. .
Not sure when that was, but I collected unemployment 2 years ago for a brief time and never stepped in an unemployement office or spoke to anyone at the office. Everything was done on-line.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't dispute the volunteer work thing while on unemployment as I know nothing about it. However, that is just about as stupid as anything I've ever heard. Many jobs are obtained as the result of volunteer work. It is always listed as an excellent source of networking. It is a way to display your knowledge and skills to multiple people and sources. i just don't understand this at all.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Not sure when that was, but I collected unemployment 2 years ago for a brief time and never stepped in an unemployement office or spoke to anyone at the office. Everything was done on-line.
March, 2010 to June, 2011. I never said he went to the office. As a matter of fact, we have friends in CA who are on unemployment and there is no office that a member of the public can even go to! Yes, people from the office would call hubby if they were unsure of an answer he gave on-line. We lived in a state where we were used to getting that kind of personal service. Case in point, one time I had trouble with filing my state income tax return. I went down to our state income tax office and not only did I talk directly to the representative handling my return, she came out to speak to me face-to-face and had my return in her hands! If we didn't like the picture on our driver's license, the rep at the DMV would let us retake it for free. People who live in big bureaucratic states like CA and NY are really missing out.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes. The rules are very weird. He had his mandatory interview to see why he doesn't have a job yet. The lady said he needed to change his resume to a more traditional format even though all of his interviews have been coming from the fact that his resume is a bit different, interesting and focuses on the skills he wants to use in his next job rather than just the experience he already has. If he keeps with the experience he already has, he would never break out of his rut. Getting laid off has helped him try to break out.

I wonder if different states have slightly different rules. UT only asks if you have been out of country not out of state. I haven't heard him say anything about not being able to volunteer. He does his stuff mostly online except for that mandatory interview.

We are trying to make the trip worth it. He's contacting them to see if they will set up an interview since he will be in the area and he will be looking at other local companies to see if he can connect with them and set up something. The reunion is just motivating us to make it worth while.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
. And since unemployment benefits are paid by state (with federal dollars) you are supposed to be getting a new job in your home state. .
Not so, only if you are drawing a "fed. extension" is the unemp. paid by the feds. Otherwise it is paid by the businesses in THAT state......usually with quarterly payments made by the companies. However, some state gov'ts are on a "pay as you go basis".....in other words, if they have people unemp. then they pay.

AND.....you may have been in a small area, where they verified every job check, but with even word of mouth job opportunities you can do a job search............IN TIMBUKTU if you wanted to.....and yes, it could be more hassle........but you DO NOT have to have an interview set up to qualify for a job search. I won't argue the hassle it can create by doing this..........as it will vary from office to office..........but it is okay and can be done.

I worked in the unemp. field in Wa and Ca........and we had people going out of area all the time to job search........not saying that some weren't checked...and that could have held up the $ but a job search is a job search..............no 'specific interview' was needed.

To the question............I say "go"...........just be prepared: 1. to answer some additional questions about the 'job search'.......2. RECORD the names of the people you talked to for the job 3. give dates and times of each..4. be prepared FINANCIALLY for your money to be held up while any investigating is done........as there could be some!!.........and I would go on more than one interview while gone.....again, noting everything!

Each case is INDIVIDUAL and will vary............your DH could have been questioned more due to his field......or ????

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think this volunteering thing must be state specific. I did a quick google search. NY has something listed about volunteering with specific caveats - can't be for a company you were laid off from, can't receive any type of monetary or other compensation. Couldn't find anything on Texas but didn't look too hard. It just strikes me as really strange. What if you had been volunteering somewhere for a long time prior to lay off/termination? Are you just supposed to quit? And as for going on a vacation, well IMHO jobless people who have been searching for a job may need a vacation for physical and emotional reasons even more than those that are working. Being jobless is a serious stressor for most. I just don't understand some things.
I do think it is a good idea to set up an official interview, MissSetonFan, rather than make the trip and risk people being away/out of the office, etc. Other than that, if you decide to go, enjoy the break! :)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I said hubby was job searching nationally and internationally, however, he ran into trouble if he left the state. Why? Because that made him unavailable to look for work in the eyes of the state.

Also, even though he was laid off by a company located across the country, he received unemployment in our home state. The company paid our home state for the unemployment insurance. If we opted to move while on unemployment, his case would have had to be transferred to our new state.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is just weird all the different variations there are. However, we do have an official visit set up now. Time, date and everything. So now we will research other companies in the area to see what happens.

I guess it shouldn't be easy to take unemployment. The difficulty should encourage you to get another job as soon as possible. I'm just amazed at how much it can actually hinder your job search in various ways.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts