Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to quit smoking I am very unhealthy right now from smoking so I have picked a quit date of Feb 16th 2011 as my quit date. Plus DD has high anxiety and she is always worried about me dying of cancer, and I don't want to put her through that. I am looking for some quit buddies. My plan is to start cutting back and do it cold turkey. Anyone intrested?
This web site has some great info
http://www.smokershelpline.ca

·
Registered
540 Posts
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheergrl::cheergrl::cheergrl:

You can do it!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Rhiamon

·
Registered
948 Posts
good luck to you! I quit 27 days ago. Cold turkey. It is so rewarding everyday you don't pick one up. I hope someone else can be your quit buddy, that would def. have made it easier!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would be your quit buddy, but I am battling to quit one addiction right now, couldn't try both at once... I am smoking half a 100 at a time tho', instead of the whole cig... I'm trying to keep busy.. Hope you can too..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Count me in! I will have to use the patch to help me along but am really motivated to quit this nasty habit!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Good luck, I will be rooting for you. You can do it.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I'm rooting for you too you can do it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wish you good luck and hope you can do it.
Myself I'm cutting down and am currently at 10 a day. which is waaayy less than what I'm used to smoke.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Quitting smoking was by far one of the most difficult things I've ever done in my life!

I think that people underestimate the addiction.

It's soooo easy to give up, it's soooo easy to bum a cigarette off a total stranger and noone thinks twice about it -

It's HARD. It's really, really hard.

I believe that the MENTAL addiction to smoking far outweighed the physical addiction.

I don't know if it'll help or not, but here's a few things that I did to ease my way through.

* NO, you can NOT smoke "just one"

* Drink LOTS of water.

* Suck on LOTS of candy

* Chew gum

* Personally, I eat ice. I like it. :toothy:

* take up a hobby that involves your hands. I crocheted constantly. Even if you don't know how to crochet, pick something else -- latchhook, needlepoint, something that keeps your hands busy.

* Do NOT visit friends that smoke until you are SURE you can be around them - this could be MONTHS. I know it sounds horrible, but if they are really your friends, they will understand.

* Do NOT drink. Do NOT go out to a bar even if you aren't drinking.

* Go to the dentist. It'll just feel good.

I didn't use anything to "aid" me in not smoking - Are you really clean if you put the nicotine in your body from another source?? JMO.

I still smoke in my dreams. I still want one sometimes. I don't think it ever really goes away.

You may get sick at first - snot, cough, grossness. Espically this time of year. I like to think it's the body's way of cleansing all that built up crap out.

After a few weeks, you'll realize how much better your sense of taste and smell are. I have a hound dog nose now. Sushi tastes WONDERFUL! Smokers STINK.

YOU CAN DOOOOOO IT!!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I wish you luck!

I am going to quit too! Right now I am not feeling too well and I know that the cigaretts are not helping. Feeling the way I do right now I am determined to quit!!!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I believe that the MENTAL addiction to smoking far outweighed the physical addiction.
I agree!

I don't know if it'll help or not, but here's a few things that I did to ease my way through.

* NO, you can NOT smoke "just one"

* Drink LOTS of water.

* Suck on LOTS of candy

* Chew gum

* Personally, I eat ice. I like it. :toothy:

* take up a hobby that involves your hands. I crocheted constantly. Even if you don't know how to crochet, pick something else -- latchhook, needlepoint, something that keeps your hands busy.

* Do NOT visit friends that smoke until you are SURE you can be around them - this could be MONTHS. I know it sounds horrible, but if they are really your friends, they will understand.

After a few weeks, you'll realize how much better your sense of taste and smell are. I have a hound dog nose now. Sushi tastes WONDERFUL! Smokers STINK.

YOU CAN DOOOOOO IT!!!!
I agree with all of the above too. I have another point to add, for me it literally was a "smoke screen" what I missed wasn't so much something to do with my hands and mouth but something to hide behind. I found that putting on/taking off my reading glasses worked instead.

It isn't just the money and/or physical acts you have to fight, it's the emotional stuff too; tell yourself that it's bigger than "just" stopping the habit, there's the other stuff too, and when it gets too hard? Tell youself "It's just a habit, just don't light up."

Or at least that's what worked for me.

Good luck!

Judi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good Luck to you.
I quit September 20,2010. I did use nicorette, but only one box and I'm still finding pieces laying around the house and in the car. I did'nt smoke in the house or car so that made it easier.
If you use the gum spend the extra money and use the nicorette. I don't know how many, many, many times I tried the store brand gum and it was so awful I gave up trying.
Again good luck to you.
Carol

·
Registered
163 Posts
I smoked for 40 years......and tried to quit so many times. It wasn't until I got hypotized on Sept. 29, 2008 that I quit. I walked out of that session fully expecting to pick up a cigarette. Did happen and hasn't happened since. That was the only way I quit.

Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
299 Posts
OK, Im quitting smoking, and haven't had a gig for a week. so how do we get one of those butts out awards? I think we should at least get an award as hard as it is to quit smoking!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have found that when the urge gets unbearable, brushing your teeth takes a lot of the urge away! Cant explain it but it works!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I know you guys have probably heard this many times before, but seriously, even if you aren't a reader, read Alan Carr's book .

It will help tremendously with the mental issue, which ultimately calms the physical side of it.

I quit several years ago, took it back up last year for a couple months when my son tried to commit suicide ( no excuse, but I gave myself permission to do whatever I felt I needed to at that time to get thru it) . He's currently locked up as of two weeks ago and I'm proud to say, this time I'm painting some outside parts of my house (old wooden home) that really needs it.... but I digress.. sorry, just trying to explain there are other productive ways to deal with stress.

And actually cigs trigger a stress response for the next one.

Another thing, if you need a health motivation story, is that I was hospitalized a couple years ago after quitting due to a sudden asthma allergy attack. I had originally quit to hopefully slow the progress of chronic kidney disease.

NOW the good news.. and there is LOTS. It's not as hard as we are told, that's why I recommend the book, it just doesn't make sense psychologically why it's not as hard till you read his fine explanation which boils down to a couple simple sentences, but if I tell ya, I take away the experience that you need to go thru.. I think of it as cathartic(sp?) to read and digest the why's ..

Often we hear something is so hard sometimes we just get it stuck in our head and that freezes us up. Sure I still think of them,sometimes I smell when I step outside a restaurant and get a brief urge... but then it's gone in a matter of a couple minutes.

And what I'm left with is fresh smellling hair, clothes, and breath. :)

I hope this post doesn't come across as all about "me"... I just felt I needed to relate to you on a level of someone who's experienced the dread of knowing they must quit, and hearing how you never lose the urge... I like that quote , can't remember who said it, "if you think you can, you can, and if you think you can't, then you can't"

BEST OF LUCK!!!!! I send u and everyone else thinking of quitting my sincere wishes for success. And if you slip up, just dust yourself off and go at it again. That used to be my excuse many many years ago... ( well I screwed up again, might as well buy another pack now) lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts