Frugal Village Forums banner
61 - 80 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
It's good to have you in the gardening club, Kay. We have a competition you can join and please share all your garden information and knowledge with us. We are all keen to learn.

G

·
Its been a while since I posted here, but I thought I'd check in with an update (kind of in keeping with the gardening notebook idea)

The weeping tomatos are going gangbusters. I haven't gotten any fruit from them yet, but there are little yellow flowers everywhere!

I bought some peppers and squash 2 weeks ago to replace my peppers and basil seeds that didn't work out. They have both been growing really well, although I'm worried that I may have to thin the squash (I didn't realize quite how big they can get). Last time I tried squash I got flowers but no fruit, so this time I'll make sure to try an pollinate them with a q-tip of something.

I'm giving my houseplants a summer vacation - and they hate it. They may be coming back inside in a day or two. I think that the bright sun is a bit too much for them (although I'm surprized that even the cactus is sensitive to it).

I bought some lavendar and fennel to try for herbs. The lavendar smells great. I've never grown or used fennel before, so its kind of a little experiment.

I did buy some Petunias just to get some color. They look fine.

The strawberries in the grow bags - the cats basically destroyed one before I could move them outside, so I ended up putting Petunias in the bag. The look cool. The other bag has mostly died, but I have 3 or 4 plants that are still hanging in there - I had 3 flowers yesterday. I think that the sun may be too hot for them as well.

This week has been unusually hot for us.

I may see if I can get DH to take pictures with his digital camera and post them.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Thanks for the update, Sara. Just a word on your indoor plants on summer vacation outside. All plants need to harden off before the go into full sun. They eventually develop a sun protective chemical in their leaves but before they do, they can get sun burnt. If their leaves are brown at the tips or have brown blotches, they are sun burnt. You'll have to cut those bits off, give them a good drink and put them in the shade. Most plants need light more than sun. To give your indoor plants a vacation, they'll love it under a tree where they can get dappled shade, a nice breeze and some rain if it falls. You can give them a good hosing to clean their leaves too.

I'm really glad the tomatoes are going well, I'd love to see some pics if you can post them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh I'm in. More than ten years of experience gardening in Southeastern US.

Currently saving money to purchase a small farm.

Angharad

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
handmerounds, I'm pleased you've joined us! Welcome Tiffany and Angharad, we always have room for more members. Check out our competition and please share all you valuable gardening info.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
OK I am a little slow on signing up. Please add me to the Garden Club... I love flowers of any kind, and I have a small veggie garden every year.. Thanks.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Please sign me up, too. This year is the first year I have some real growth. :) Last year, not so much. :toothy:

I really need help with veggies... I just offed my poor basil on my deck boxes. :( :inn:

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Welcome to our new members: bonnie :pumpkin: and maggie :apple:. I'm always pleased to get new members. Ask any questions you have regarding your gardens. We have many avid gardeners and I'm sure you get a quick response. And don't forget our gardening competition, it closes august 14.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'd like to join the club, please. I have but one lonely little aloe plant right now, but it's going to have some friends soon enough. Can't wait to learn from y'all. :)

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
welcome cheapgeek! Ask any question you like in the gardening forum. We have quite a few experienced gardeners here.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I need to join this club if you please Forestdale.
My garden started out very well and we planted tomatoes
in different spot than last year.
Well we now can't find the rest of the garden because tomato plants popped up all over and exploded. We will be making alot of spaghetti sauce and canned tomatoes....
I have managed to find some green beans.
I planted some flowers and if you go in the garden they can be seen :D under more tomato plants.
:bang:
I am starting an asparagus patch with mature plants ( way away from the regular garden, also planting some lavendar to come up next year and then a big garlic bed this fall.
Please sign me up...

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Welcome Holly. Sounds like you started of with quite a good vegetable garden. I hope you get lots of tomatoes from those bushes. :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would like to join this club.
In my other life I was a great gardener but I've taken two years off now and now that we're buying this house I am SO excited to get back into gardening!!!
I won't be able to get back on a big scale but I do intend to put in a cottage garden and also a couple raised beds for a few veggies.
Strange as it seems I miss composting the most, go figure! I have HATED throwing out my kitchen scraps and coffee grounds all this time.
I plan on using the winter, when I'm not working or working on the house, to plan on which plants to order. I will not make it too complicated because we do want to resell in a couple years and I don't want to scare away non-gardening buyers, but I do want enough to accentuate the cottage appeal.
Those are my beginning goals. Listen to me, we haven't even closed on the house yet...:D

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I would like to join the Gardening Club!! We are not allowed to have a garden, but I want to do some veggies in containers!!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Can I join to? I love to garden. My dad has already told me that I need to plant lots of tomatoes next year for him. I am already looking at what and where I can plant things in 06.

Kellie

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm in.. I'm already getting antsy, and I've got at least 3 mos before I can start any seedllings. In the meantime I've got a lot of planning to do to make sur I've got enough in the garden to make everything I want for the winter both in canned goods and in freezer stock!

Cindy :)

61 - 80 of 414 Posts