Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the 2 most stressful weeks of my life.

Monday, March 22, my 10 yo daughter and a friend was being sexually harassed and TOUCHED by 3 boys in her class, they girls spoke to the teacher, who responded, she'd talk to them...she never did.

My husband was at the school tuesday morning at 8 am waiting for the principal. The principal was very upset and addressed it immediately. We removed our 2 girls from the school that afternoon, we didn't have a good feeling about it. The boys received a 1/2 day in school suspension. We received a promise they would not be unsupervised. Well, they did it again, the next day to a 3rd girl. We were wanting to transfer to another french immersion school, but they won't do it.

I told them I was completely prepared to homeschool, the principal told me I couldn't just remove them from school and say we were homeschooling, that there was a huge long form to fill out. I told her I knew how to write. She said nothing more.

We are very disappointed in this whole situation. From the fact the boys did it, to the fact that the teacher didn't listen to the girls. And the fact that there is no policy for this kind of behavior. It wasn't just touching, there was sexual comments as well.

So tonight, we made our final decision, that the 2 girls will be home with me. And we will be home schooling. I actually started after spring break. Though the paperwork will be submitted tomorrow. I have found some gaps in their education, and found some real strengths. My husband asked, what are we going to do if the girls don't want to go to school next year. I asked him if it would be a problem if they didn't. And shockingly, he said no. He feels much better knowing they are with me. DD10 has been bullied her whole school career, including this year, aside from this incident. She has been body slammed into lockers, thrown to the ground by her hair, had bruises the shape of hands on her legs and arms. All ignored. So now, we have made a decision, and look forward to the adventure.

It sucks to just jump into this with little prep, but the change in attitudes has been wonderful. DD6, is sleeping about an hour later than she was for school, as they left at 7:30. She is a ray of sunshine, the tantrums are slowing down, she's less aggressive. She is following her personal rhythms. She is willing to sit and learn, in just a few days we have really increased her french vocab. DD10 is now sleeping through the night again. The nightmares are going away, she has a smile on her face most of the day. We are focusing first on areas that she is weak in. Building up those skills, and it's not taking long! How she got all A's in math is beyond me, she didn't know her multiplication facts! But it's getting better and better. I love Timez Blaster! Great tool.

So, we are embarking on an adventure of a life time! A little scary, and lots of work, but anything worthwhile in life is!

Would love to hear about everyone else's experiences! And any tips or suggestions most welcome!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I am proud of you and your decision. It sounds like you are off to a good start. I would caution you about doing too much too soon. It is often suggested in homeschooling circles to take a month off for every year they were in school (called "deschooling"). That is to get rid of the negatives associated with school. You kids may not need it but do keep a close eye on them. Right now, if they get stressed about anything, just put it on the shelf for a few weeks then come back to it. It sounds like they are off to a great start.

We do not follow the school calendar. We school year round with breaks every so often (VBS week, Christmas musical week, etc.) We like the way that works. Less stress = more learning. We do 4 day weeks in the summer.

Enjoy!

·
8,714 Posts
~Welcome to the homeschooling world! Sorry that it had to be under such lousy circumstances but it sounds like your kids are responding well to the change.
The whole situation with the school they were in makes me so angry that I don't even know what to say. :( I hope you and your girls can put your horrible experiences behind you. ((hug))
I agree very much with 2GG, don't try to do too much. It's better to add in curriculum and activities when you notice a gap in their progress or when their progress is incredibly fast than to be frustrated that you can't fit it all in every day. We school year round too so we can take breaks wherever we need and want them. It's so relaxing having an entire calendar year to complete a curriculum. My ds will complete two years of curriculum in two subjects this year because I decided to encourage his interest in learning by letting him work at the pace he preferred. And seasonal review is a thing of the past. No wasted months reviewing what you learned last year because there's no gap in time to forget anything.
I'm still pretty new to this myself and still scared silly. But it is so exciting seeing your child grow up and learn in your home and thrive from your efforts. It's such a wonderful challenge and blessing being a homeschooling mommy and I'm excited for you as you start your journey!~

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just wanted to say congratulations on your decision! It sounds like everything is going great, and although we have no kids - I think homeschooling is a great option!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!!

We aren't taking a break as this is trial, so I want to finish what they would be doing in school. This is important in the event they want to go to a new school in the fall. We need to be sure we cover everything, especially in the math, English language arts and French language arts. But right now, we are focussing on where they didn't get it.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Congratulations! I pulled my youngest three out for similar reasons. Bullying, school unable/unwilling to put a stop to it. Dd was actually in therapy because of it.

Now we are on our second year of homeschooling and loving it. Dd went back to school for a couple of months at the beginning of the year but is back home for the duration of her high school years.

They are all MUCH less crabby now that they don't have to get up at 6am. They are eating foods that are good for them rather than pizza & burgers for lunch every day and candy as bribes from the teachers.

My boys are close in age to your girls. When I brought them home, my oldest son was 10 and didn't know his multiplication facts, didn't know the months of the year in order, crazy stuff! But he knew how to fill in those dang bubbles on the mandated state tests :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Yep, I have one at home too..... pulled him mid year again this year, so I know the struggle too.

The other day, he said to me "Mom, after math can we do History? I love to listen to you read."

ummmmm..... sure!!! Music to a mom's ears!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Welcome!! :)

I'm so glad your daughter is sleeping better. I really have been thinking about you and your family.

Just a thought. We follow the traditional school calendar so that my kids can still have their friends over and down time together. Although, you can be very flexible with homeschooling I like to keep a schedule. It helps me stay organized.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we are the home stretch for the year ;)

DD6 is officially reading at an advanced level :) She has nearly completed the full grade 1 curriculum, we started over as she was lost. She still struggles at times, but considering she was completely lost when she came home. She has pretty decent spelling as well.

DD11 is nearly completed the years math, putting her about 8 months ahead of her old class mates:rollsmile so we are doing well. We are building grammar, as she has had 0 instruction in it. We are working on writing as well. So it is all coming!!!

We are slowing getting the routine down pat. I have a harder time with history and science. But we are working through it. Hopefully it'll be easier as we go.

Reactions: Mom2-3

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of what your kids have went through. We are no strangers to the evils of the public schools. I actually witnessed with my own eyes a boy in my son's kindergarten class jump over a table and stab a little girl in the arm with a pencil. The teacher said "I've sent him to the principal so many times. I don't know what else to do." I took my son from class & went straight to the principal. At first he tried to smooth things over saying the boy was on medication, etc. But he decided to listen when I told him I was leaving his office to file a police report, speak with my attorney and the local news.

Just this year my daughter (12) came home and said "We gotta talk!" In class a boy grabbed her breast, so she decked him. In turn he hauled off and punched her back, in the face. Again, I took action, meeting with the superintendent & principal in tow w/ my husband and my ex husband. They were told by my ex husband (dd's father) that the school had one chance to make it right. We were told that any fighting was not tolerated. We educated the superintendent and the principal on our beliefs....Our children are told to protect themselves. Do not start a fight, Do not be a bully...But by goodness don't let someone else hurt you either. We stand firm on that belief. Come to find out, after she told on the boy, several other girls came forward. They hadn't told before out of fear. He spent a couple of weeks in juvenile for it. We were satisfied with the outcome. Now when he sees her.....he walks his happy little rear the other way.

I've considered homeschooling and would love to do it. However I work far too much and fear my kids would miss out. I just have to have faith that they will learn to stand up for themselves, make the right choices and be better people than some of those around them.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We did get an update from some of her old classmates. The one bully that was body checking her, pulling her hair, has actually STOPPED. He thinks dd left completely because of him. While he played a significant part in it, he isn't the main reason. But that he stopped, is a good thing. He often sends messages through her friends to her. Please go to this school for Jr. high for grade 7, I would really like to apologize to you. Can you please get facebook so I can say sorry. etc. I don't know how sincere, but it's kinda nice.

That said the 3 that assaulted her have done it again, have been repeatedly in trouble :( so it didn't do anything to their attitudes and behaviours.

We are continuing to homeschool. DD11 said we'll see after grade 9 what she will do. DD6 is loving just being home, and for the most part, doing her own thing. She works and plays, works then goes outside, works and then watches a little tv. But she has learned to read, do math facts, done several science experiments, many art classes and swimming.

So for the 2 month trial, I would say it has been successful indeed.

We are blessed that I work from home, and that what I do, is really flexible. In fact I have started preschool with the 3yo I have in care! Maybe he'll learn to read in the next year too :)

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Sorry this happened to your children. You did the right thing ...congratulations and good luck! :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am so sorry to hear what has happened. It's great that you was able to turn such a negative thing into a positive thing. Home schooling is great. We do not have children yet but hope to some day and we will be homeschooling.

I went to public school from k-9th grade... once in 9th grade I skipped school more then I was there, would walk in one door and walk out the other door with my friends, hated school, was teased like crazy because my brother got a girl pregnant when they was in 9th grade. I truly hated school and didn't care if I was going to graduate. Well school calls my mom after me missing 3 weeks of classes straight(can't believe they waited that long) in return my home pulled me out and put me in a small church school. I was so mad at her at the time. I stayed there for the rest of my 9th grade. Ended up loving school again. My 10th grade year my mom started homeschooling me threw the church school. I loved it. I learned more from 9th grade to 12th then I ever felt like I learned in public school. With that being said my mother was the best teacher ever, and was the strictest too. I am truly grateful for the time and effort she put into homeschooling me.

I loved homeschooling and hope your children do too!

Jenny

·
Registered
566 Posts
It sounds like you made the right decision. You must do what is the best interest of your kids.

I pray that your homeschool journey is a blessed and a wonderful experience.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!

We are looking forward to it. The girls are chomping at the bit to get started..lol. However, in logging in, they won't be able to until late August. Just like the regular school kids. Well, the older 2 anyway. The youngest can start anytime :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
We are also homeschooling this year. We are using connections academy. Kids are excited.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats on your decision! We've been homeschooling for four years now and will never go back. We love it! My kids are much happier, well rested, and relaxed than when they were in school. Good luck to you!

Edie

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I just want to weigh in and say 'good on you' for having the guts to take them out and homeschool them.

I too, had two girls. One was being bullied and ostracized because of her advanced vocabulary. The other had health issues that would have placed her in a special ed class that would not have stretched her intellectually. We pulled them out and homeschooled 12 years. Yes, from grade 1 - 12 for my baby, and grades 4 to 12 for my oldest. Though she says grade 4 to first year university!

My girls have both stopped mid-university career due to the cost of university these days. We are not fixated on university being the be all and end all of an education. One child wants to be a writer. She is a writer. She's always been a writer...since she learned to read at 9 years old. Or since she admitted to being able to read maybe! ;) Turns out she was afraid if she let on she could read that I wouldn't cuddle with her anymore and read to her. :lol: Poor little tyke. No such luck! This Mommy reads whenever asked!

My older daughter is a software trouble shooter for a call center. Not great pay, BUT this girl has PLANS. :lol: She is determined to reach Financial Independence in 15 years and is busy developing a lifelong learning plan for herself right now...mapping out things she wants to learn more about and how to go about doing it.

Currently her interest is in paying down debt. She has approached it in a methodical fashion with her husband, complete with a schedule/calendar of what has to be done when in order to achieve this.

Another interest is in music. She is looking at joining a music society, and taking up an instrument again, or doing voice lessons. She is reading copiously on Medieval and Baroque music at the moment.

I am telling you this so that you are aware when you homeschool them the most precious thing you can give them is a love of learning and the tools to carry on themselves long after you're out of the picture.

It sounds like you're doing a great job! Keep it up!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts