Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was selected to serve on jury duty for the month of May. Originally, I was picked for March but I was granted a postponement since March was dead middle of tax season. Anyways, I have been picked to serve a few times but so far each time the trials have been settled out of court. I might add, this is district court, so only minor cases such as DUI's and assaults, etc. I am very thankful that I did not get selected for the circuit court which deals with the murder trials. Well, I got to thinking about it and was curious how many of you have ever served before and what time frame did you have to serve for? Here it is only 1 month at a time unless you are on a trial that runs over. Also, once you have done your service, you do not have to serve for at least another year. But, back home, it seems they have you serve for a minimum of 6 months.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have had jury duty a couple time but only once served on a trial a DUI and it was a full day that is all...
I have know people who got called for grand jury duty and it was a 6 month thing 1 day a month for 6 months..
I haven't gotten called in a long time...

Eileen

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I've been called 3x's in 6yrs, I just got done serving for the month of Feb. I've never had to sit for a trial...but did have to go to the court house weekly for the all day long interview process....I don't much care for that process. Here if you get picked for a trial you are done for the remainder of your mo, if not you keep calling in nightly. Here they can call you once every 24 mos.....and they do me!!

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I've been called twicw, served on a jury once, here you only go for one day unless the trial runs over or it is Grand Jury and then it is 2 weeks.

Now last year it the county where i work they didn't have enough jurors show up one day and the judge sent the deputies to Wal-Mart to get jurors..lol. No joke, one of the men I work with happened to be going in and they got him!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Angie, that it too funny. I can just see that happening here too. I can also see the judge in our little county seat telling the deputy to go ahead and pick him up some fishing tackle while he is at Walmart.

I have been called at various times to serve on jury duty but usually I have been dismissed due to the fact that the cases were plea bargained or dismissed or the defendent pled guilty. I have been lucky. I have never had to spend more than 1 day at a time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts