Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
l am going to try my best to explain this and sorry if long or if it has to be remove l am very interested in the Christian religion and was wondering about speaking in tongues our farm vet is very much for this and l just don't have it l have tried and its not there l get dreams and feelings about things that are going to happen l know this is a gift or am l wrong he told me that because l don't do this then l don't believe,is he wrong if someone can explain this and help me with it please.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Oh :yikes: Tammy! He is WRONG! Not everyone speaks in tongues. Good Grief. He needs to read his Bible better. You can't make tongues happen. Can't wish it, or try to make it happen.

http://bible.org/article/speaking-tongues

Just wanted to add, that I'm not in agreement with all of what's written here, like women teaching and being silent, but this is a very good article in the sense that it has specific scripture that relates to the subject. You can use those verses as a jumping off point on your own study of God's word.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
There is just one "rule" in Christianity - at least the kind I practice. "No man comes to the Father but by me."

The rest is all embroidery, so to speak, on an already beautiful tapestry.

As far as knowing about things before they happen - different faiths have different thoughts on this and it's origin. I think if you are pure of heart, these are often divinely inspired warnings.

Look for your answers within yourself and your Bible. That is your Christian instruction manual. :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
We all have gifts from God,One of those is speaking in tongue.But when some one is speaking in tongue there must be a person that has the gift of understanding what is being spoken.God has blessed me with the gift of Hospitality. I work well with others and involved in different areas in the church when it comes to dinners, meet and greets, ect.

Tammy my sister has the same gift has you.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That was just wrong for that person to tell you you don't believe if you don't speak in tongues.

I agree with what the OP's have said.

To be sure for yourself search and read your Bible and you will have it straight from the source not embellished with what someone else might try to add on to it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all for the answers you gave me it makes me feel so much better l though there was something wrong with me that l didnt have this gift and l do know it will happen when and if it does thanks again

·
19,119 Posts
Look in your heart Tammy - the truth lies with you and God. How sad that that person tries to use power in that form to convince others of his 'talents'. When you discover what your true gift is then you will know the truth and be blessed to share with others. What I have discovered is that a lot/most of the time everyone is sharing their gifts without knowing it.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I don't believe in speaking in tongues. I have seen the same behavior in those with mental illness, or who claim that a demon is possessing them. I have yet to see the difference.I think what this man did was to be condescending to you.You are not lacking in anything you need to be the best Christian you can.

Reactions: tammy8701

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Oh, for crying out loud! Your vet reminds me of a guy I called for a flooring estimate, and he came out to the house and saw my (then) young sons watching Ghostbusters cartoons, and told me I shouldn't be letting them watch that stuff because it was against God, and God should be their only God, not the Ghostbusters. Huh? :shrug2: Rest assured, our kids were in a Christian grade school, and we never let them think the Ghostbusters were even close to being God.

I was like, "This is MY house, right?" "My house, where it is up to ME how I raise my kids?" Needless to say, he didn't get the job. The nerve!

I may rub a few people wrong when I say this, but I can't understand 'my way or the highway' Christians. The Jesus I know was a loving, understanding, guiding, self-sacrificing being. Other than an incident at the temple/marketplace(rightfully so), he taught kindness and love.

I agree with others---read about Jesus and look into yourself for a relationship with Him.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I always thought that "speaking in tongues" was a gift given to the early disciples so that everyone hearing them could understand them no matter what language the listeners spoke.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Oh, for crying out loud! Your vet reminds me of a guy I called for a flooring estimate, and he came out to the house and saw my (then) young sons watching Ghostbusters cartoons, and told me I shouldn't be letting them watch that stuff because it was against God, and God should be their only God, not the Ghostbusters. Huh? :shrug2: Rest assured, our kids were in a Christian grade school, and we never let them think the Ghostbusters were even close to being God.
Reminds me of this pseudo pastor who told everyone I was a devil worshiper because I wore black!!! I happen to be a musician who has to wear formal and informal "concert black" so I just have more black in my closet. Plus, I think I look good in it too.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I've known a lot of Christians in holiness churches and only rarely have I heard anyone speak in tongues. My Great-Grandmother did it a time or two in my presence when I was a child and it kind of scared me 'cause I didn't understand it much at the time, but at the same time it was rather fascinating! To me it sort of sounded like German, but who knows? She certainly never learned German. I think I heard someone else do it also when I was much younger, but that wasn't a relative. Has anyone else here heard anyone do it? I also know someone who claims she can speak in tongues, but I don't believe her...I've never heard her and I am pretty sure she's not right with God. If she's hearing anything from the Holy Spirit, it's screaming "Repent! Repent!"...

·
Registered
933 Posts
I do not believe in speaking in tongues. The verses I have in bold are the reasons I do not believe in speaking in tongues. I've gone to church my entire life and I have yet to hear anyone that can interpret when someone is supposedly speaking in tongues. This is my beliefs and thoughts on the subject. If someone wants to believe it that is their prerogative.

1st Corinthians Ch. 14 says...

1Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

3But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

4He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

5I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

6Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

7And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?

8For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?

9So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

10There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.

11Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

12Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

13Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

14For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

15What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

16Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

17For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

18I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

19Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

20Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

21In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

22Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

23If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

24But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

25And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

26How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

29Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

30If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

31For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

33For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have never heard anyone speak in tongues. Does that make me a non-believer? No, I believe that I am a child of God and He does not want me to feel that I am unworthy to come to Him and put my faith in Him.

My faith and belief in Jesus is between him and me. No one has the right to tell me I am unfaithful just because I have never spoken in tongues.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I know I am a believer and have never spoken in tongues.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I know I am a believer and have never spoken in tongues.
Me, too. :)

The best example I've heard of speaking in tongues is this: a woman working in a Christian bookstore wanted to help three Hispanic men find a Christian study workbook they needed. She couldn't speak Spanish, they couldn't speak English. She prayed for help and spoke to them in English. Another customer came in the store and heard her talking to them. After the customers left, the clerk commented that she wished she could have spoken Spanish to them. The new customer said, 'but you spoke to them in perfect Spanish!'

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have spoken in tongues. It is, generally, for me, a prayer language between myself and God. However, when I pray it is not always in tongues. I have only 'spoken out' in tongues, in church, several times and there was always an interpretation by someone else. I have spent probably 25 years in Penticostal/Charismatic type churches. Of course it can be used and abused just like anything else in a church. We no longer are attending that type of church, but still use our prayer language as happens. My personal feeling is that it is simply one of many gifts given by God for his peoples' edification and most Christians have several gifts and they are not all the same. Tongues makes you no better/no worse than any other Christian.
I hope I have not offended anyone.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I do not believe in speaking in tongues. The verses I have in bold are the reasons I do not believe in speaking in tongues. I've gone to church my entire life and I have yet to hear anyone that can interpret when someone is supposedly speaking in tongues. This is my beliefs and thoughts on the subject. If someone wants to believe it that is their prerogative. [/B]
I hope this wasn't directed at me 'cause I didn't say I'd heard anyone interpret what someone said while speaking in tongues. I don't think any human can interpret it. I said that when I heard it as a child, I thought it sounded sort of like German not that it WAS German. I'm glad that you realize that it's my perogative to believe in the speaking of tongues.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I hope this wasn't directed at me 'cause I didn't say I'd heard anyone interpret what someone said while speaking in tongues. I don't think any human can interpret it. I said that when I heard it as a child, I thought it sounded sort of like German not that it WAS German. I'm glad that you realize that it's my perogative to believe in the speaking of tongues.
My post was in answer to the original posters post. It had not one thing to do with or about you or your post. I never even read yours when I posted. I said I don't believe in it and I posted the verses to show why I don't. Nothing more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.