Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all!

Just signed up a while back. I've been actively cutting down on extravagance for a year now, and I believe I can do more.
I hope I can learn a thing or two about serious frugal living. I also really enjoy reading--both fiction and non-fiction. As for the latter, I've mainly been reading economics-, finance-, and environment-related titles.

Anyway, nice to meet you all! :)

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Welcome to the village. :vs_coffee:

Reactions: rainman

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Welcome.

I like to read a lot too. Lately I have been reading free books online at wattpad. There are some that are sample and some incomplete books. However, they have a pretty high rate of completed books.

If you have a job that offers people money for training, you might be able to get some non-fiction books with money from the training budget. I did that at my work. I started a learning library of books at work. I had to go through a lot of hoops to get it approved, but it was worth it. Some books are clearly work related, but I have included ones in the general categories of work life balance, employee well being, stress reduction, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome.

I like to read a lot too. Lately I have been reading free books online at wattpad. There are some that are sample and some incomplete books. However, they have a pretty high rate of completed books.

If you have a job that offers people money for training, you might be able to get some non-fiction books with money from the training budget. I did that at my work. I started a learning library of books at work. I had to go through a lot of hoops to get it approved, but it was worth it. Some books are clearly work related, but I have included ones in the general categories of work life balance, employee well being, stress reduction, etc.
That's remarkable!

Please excuse the late reply. I thought I'd responded to your post. Besides, I hadn't logged in for what feels like a lifetime. My password somehow didn't work, and I was too lazy to generate a new one.

Yes, it's great when one can apportion training funds for books. How is the library doing now? I work as an academic editor, and I get books at good discounts from time to time. I've learned not to mark all promo-like mail as spam. I hate spam, don't get me wrong, but the discounts I've availed because I somehow had the patience to open mails from my editing associations have really helped!

Hope you're all doing safe and well! :)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The library has kind of died down because I moved to a new office that does not have space for it. I had to move the books into a hall closet because someone in my old office wanted the space for something else.

I am sure my current boss would be supportive, there just is not room where I am now.

It annoys me that my co-workers were not as enthusiastic about it as I was. One lady down the hall seemed interested and took a bunch though. There was another lady who got a lot of use out of it, but she retired last year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The library has kind of died down because I moved to a new office that does not have space for it. I had to move the books into a hall closet because someone in my old office wanted the space for something else.

I am sure my current boss would be supportive, there just is not room where I am now.

It annoys me that my co-workers were not as enthusiastic about it as I was. One lady down the hall seemed interested and took a bunch though. There was another lady who got a lot of use out of it, but she retired last year.
Ah! That's too bad. But really glad to know that it benefited two people. That's more good than most people do (including myself) :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello there. I like reading too, especially in that quarantine time. Funny thing that I usually like reading some books about psychology. But in this time some of them are just so useless to me. Same goes to some books like "How to gain a lot of money for short period" etc. I think I should stick to some literature books lol

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Shortly after the pandemic happened my workplace offered some free online training on dealing with stress and anxiety. Of course all the training was done pre Covid. A lot of the suggestions were just not relevant to the current situation.

I used to read a bit of psychology and pop psychology. I gradually came to realize that individual differences can be huge. There is a tendency for psychology to present things that work for "most people" as being good for everyone. If you dig deeper into original sources, you sometimes find that "most people" is sometimes as low as 54 percent.

As a personal example, I am very introverted. But many self help books have very extroverted suggestions on how to feel better.

I think the key over all is learning what things make us feel happy, relaxed, or other good feelings. And learning what things make us feel bad. And then ideally doing more of the good things and less of the bad.

Also taking more time to do feel good things when we are in situations that are stressful to us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts