Frugal Village Forums banner
61 - 80 of 122 Posts

Registered
nice you got to get in there to measure and make plans! maybe you need a dehumifier for the church?

our cement laundry sink cracked so why we don't have it. but one of those things in old house that just get wrecked with the house so not easy to find but not that we are running around and looking either. I wanted our old iron tub for a pond but it had to be cut in half to get out of the house.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
We plan to cut our tub in 6. No way could we handle half of it by ourselves. Did you use an angle grinder with diamond blade to cut yours? Too bad your sink got damaged. We're planning on 2 dehumidifiers, one for the shop and one for the basement kitchen AKA utility room. We have 3 other small rooms down there that probably won't need one. One or two will probably be called the paint room because I plan to store paint and paint supplies in it. Other things like RV batteries, air tools, AeroGardens, paint sprayers and other things that can't freeze will probably go in there. It has some kind of glue on the floor we have to clean up and then I think we can start building shelves in there and in the long narrow closet-type space adjoining it.

They left this bulletin board.
Property Window Wood Flooring Interior design

I didn't measure it but I'm guessing it's 4x8. They removed the stuff over it, but the big board is still there. I will need to look at it better once we take it down, but right now I'm hoping I can cut it in half and make it into doors for this rack in my sewing room, instead of a curtain. That would be so handy for a project board. The rack is currently 8' high and just over 6' wide, and will probably be cut down to 7'h due to lower ceilings in the new house, so I think it might work and shouldn't be difficult. I can back it with paneling if it's too flimsy. Another project. 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ
Curtain Interior design Wood Gas Window treatment

They also left this white board, which will be nice in my shop. We think they're done moving stuff out now, so hope they don't take anything more. The rest of the stuff in this pic is already gone.
Handwriting Waste container Gas Wood Room

Registered
That bulletin board would be great for projects! hopefully they leave it.

No we didn't do it, the guys did it when we were gone. The bathroom got gutted. not that we have a big one only as wide as a tub lol so went out the window I think over the tub or maybe the door. not a nice one like clawfoot just molded w a updated cover on it. The sink well the drain died or something but talking like 70yr old sink.

They did find a 1949 calendar behind the wall paneling in the bathroom lol the kind w big picture but little pull off months.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I think they will leave the bulletin board. It's attached with 8 lag screws so there will be wall damage when it's removed. Not sure how the white board is attached. I hope it's not glued. We have a mess to fix where the stuff was glued on above the bulletin board. Fun! With ladders! 馃檮馃檮馃檮

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Here's one of the surprises CH referred to us potentially finding a while back. If you look at the bulletin board pic, you can see part of a little red table. The table is gone now. This was behind it. It looks like there was a kid sized water fountain there. The water line and drain will have to go. I'm putting a corner hutch in that space. Also putting in a corner. 馃榿
Wood Flooring Floor Road surface Wood stain

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I ran across a YT about removing carpet tack strips. The guy used a shovel! I wouldn't have thought of that in a million yrs. It seems much easier than crawling around with a hammer and pry bar. We will definitely be trying that with the pantry carpet, which is only 9x9. I'm also going to try it with the great room carpet trim, which is held down by little nails. I hope it works for that, too. As you can see by all that gold, there's a lot of that trim to rip up. Worth a try.
Wood Flooring Floor Rectangle Material property

I suspect we will rip up the pantry carpet before anything else. It should be fairly easy and get something accomplished immediately. We might not have our carpet cutter for the glue-down carpet in the basement on closing day, and won't want the dirty job of cutting up the bathtub on the first day, so something simple that doesn't need many tools would be a nice easy way to get started.

The plan is to cut the pantry carpet and pad to correct sizes and shapes to use as cutouts for pretend furniture. It should be a big help to see where some of our stuff will go.

Registered
Using the carpets as stand ins for furniture will work. If you have a local store that sells large items like refrigerators, dryers etc check with them if you need more furniture clones. At church we always went to the appliance store for large boxes to make a maze for the kids to crawl in at our church harvest festival.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
We don't have appliance stores here, but can get boxes from the grocery store.

We are getting the big blue mats in the mud room (white tile floor). The red carpet is glued down and we have to remove it. We want to see if we can cut long strips about 5" wide to lay out the new walls. Don't know how that will go. It would be easier to lay out walls with the strips than any other idea we've come up with.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Now that we know where the vent is in Husby's office, we have planned accordingly and figured out what furniture he can keep. No we didn't. 馃榿 We had the plan already redone after I blew up the other plan by telling him he had to keep my desk which is nicer and bigger with more drawers, to which we will add about 18' of shelf space. I won't have room for that desk after all. The new plan just happened to work with the vent location. Dumb luck. Great for him, he gets my desk. He still doesn't want to get rid of the buffet or the double secretary. The secretary has been in his office a few yrs and he likes it, but we decided to move it to the LR and put the buffet in his office. It will be better storage for the kinds of things he needs to put in it, with a smaller footprint he needs. It occurred to me this morning he could just as well take the pot rack surrounding it, too. It's sturdy enough to store all his sports memorabilia till he figures out the best way to sell it, which is difficult when he's not an expert and lives in a small town far from actual experts. At any rate, it seems like a good plan. I don't want to sell the buffet either, but since it will provide more efficient storage in his office while taking less space, it can stay. It's currently our baking center and holds a lot of stuff. It will only need minor modifications to make it into better office storage, plus a curtain to cover the unpretty contents and protect them from light. Simple. I'll probably stain or paint it to more closely match the buffet, too. It will be a long time before all this happens, but I'm looking forward to it.

The double secretary has a bookcase on each end and a drop down desk plus good sized drawers in the center with room for decorative items on top. It's a very pretty old piece. I plan to use it for my knitting, tatting, crochet, etc storage so I can sell the repurposed entertainment center it's all in now. 鈽

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Oh, no! That's a great idea! I read your post to Husby and we both like the idea. I know they're available so will have to look into it. I would probably have to sell the corner hutch though. Still, Husby is already researching. It's so tempting because it's already roughed in and ready to go. We wouldn't pay extra to have the plumbing put in, but since it's already there...

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
We're intrigued by it but the ones we found require the basin to be drained into a bucket for cleaning. There's no drain connected like a sink would have. It seems easier to keep using the enameled roaster we've been using, especially since we will have a handy laundry tub to wash it when it's gross. I also looked again at the corner hutch and decided I'd like to keep it. We're keeping the waterer in mind but right now we're leaning toward not doing it. But as you know, plans are subject to change around here.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
We priced the cheapest wrought iron deck rails. The rails aren't so bad, $45/6 ft. But then I looked at gates. $200! And we'll probably need 3! Crazy! Guess who's going to be building gates next spring.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I drew up a preliminary plan for the pantry shelves, but I can tell this will be one of those pantser projects where I fly by the seat of my pants while I build. But at least I have some ideas on paper. Here it is so far. This drawing only shows the plan to the bottom of the window, but there's almost 3' on each side of the window, too. I know I want can rotators on one side and possibly both. I will build those so the tops can be used for shelves where we can store things like large pots or stuff TBD. The rotators will just be set in place, not built as part of the shelves.

Handwriting Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

I guess I can't rotate this pic.

I will end up with less shelving than I have now, but it will be deeper and more accessible. We'll be going through our kitchen stuff and getting rid of a lot. I still think the new pantry is the right size because a huge reason I wanted it is to have a place for the large upright freezer and the small overflow fridge, along with food and small appliance storage. I think it's going to work out well.

I'm hoping this will be a fun and easy project.

I still want a little house cart and Husby wants to buy one. I think I can make one free or low cost.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Well, this made our day. We ran the numbers for buying the same style of cabinets we have and love, and it's not going to be nearly as expensive as we thought. I expect we will start buying them before winter is over because we need to get the new walls up, and it would be so much easier to visualize the space with the cabinets sitting in place. We don't want to make a mistake with the wall placement, and it would be helpful for the plumber, gas company, and electrician, too. Don't want that stuff done wrong either. So maybe early next yr we can get some cabinets.

We just can't make the idea of used cabinets work. The odds of finding what we need at ReStore aren't good, IMO, plus it's $60 in gas to drive there each time and we would need to make several trips to get them home, or rent a trailer. Then they would probably need refinishing, another expense and lots of time and mess. By the time it was all said and done, I don't think it would be worth the savings, plus we wouldn't have the cabinets we really want.

I'm good with buying used cabinets for bathrooms and laundry room, so that will be an offset. Those will be much easier to find and easier to get home since we won't need such large amounts. We might even find something locally at garage sales.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I remembered we still have a small antique oak medicine cabinet from our 1904 house in Minneapolis. It will work for the basement half bath, so it's a free cabinet. We also have one we bought a couple of houses ago but never installed, so another freebie for Husby's half bath. It's out of style but no one will see it anyway.

My bedroom is 9x19, which sounds big but the 9' width means nothing is fitting like it needs to. I'm reluctantly concluding I need to rip out the existing closet and make about half the bedroom 11' wide. That would give me an area 11x11 which is much more workable than 9' and then my bed will fit better. I can then move the closet to the 9x8 portion of the room. I haven't drawn it up yet but I suspect this change would solve every problem I have with the room. It won't add much to the workload because the front wall of the closet has to come out regardless. A 2' door in a 7' closet just won't cut it. I'm not seeing any downside to this plan.

I may have to change my pantry obsession over to a bedroom obsession.

This is why we wanted to buy a house we didn't have to move into right away. It takes too much time to work through all the problems and potential solutions, and if we have to hurry all these important decisions, mistakes are more likely.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Ah ha! I think I have the final answer to the sewing room layout. What I had was okay, if weird, but it just didn't seem quite right, being L shaped and all. It's been vexing me, but I very much want the walk-in closet. The catalyst for change isn't even in the sewing room. The problem is the cross on the outside of the wall where my sewing table was supposed to go. I needed windows there, and that would mean cutting through 3" or more of faux stone and brick, plus the wall underneath it, then getting it all framed correctly, etc, for 2 windows. All we were seeing were big dollar signs, all so I could avoid losing the closet in the corner. I finally realized it would be far less expensive to DIY remove the closet and just move it. Putting it directly behind the faux stone cross eliminates any need for windows and I won't lose any wall space or storage. A new wall will have to be framed, but it won't be much extra since it's only 6' and a straight extension of another new wall. Other good things include making the sewing room a normal rectangular shape, a big comfortable 13x16, both of which should be good for resale. You just don't see bedrooms that big here. Husby gains a foot of floor space in his room and closet, which is also good. I will modify my fabric and pail rack by cutting it apart. The section with the rolls of fabric will be mounted on the wall at the end of the table, making cutting easy, and the pail section can go back to back with a sewing machine and serger. I gain more walking space from that, so another win. I'm loving the changes. I hope this is the last big change. It feels right, finally.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts