Frugal Village Forums banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Thanks, Maggie. I know I'm rambling and boring people, but it helps me think.

Can't wait to see and hear about your progress, too. We were interested in doing a cordwood house when we moved to the lake, but decided we'd be over our heads. I can't wait to see yours all done. Any idea when you can move in, even if not finished?

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I was so busy planning cabinets for the kitchen, I completely forgot about the dresser I wanted to repurpose to use as a baking center for our present kitchen. 🙄🙄 You'd think the $750 price tag for the three cabinets needed in the new house's baking center would have rung a bell about the free dresser just sitting here, but nnnnnnoooooo. Ope! It's 5'6" wide compared to 6', and almost all drawers, so will have to figure out what would need to be stored in it and how it fits, and how our flour jars would fit on top. It would need to be made 6" deeper front to back so that would require a couple boards, and I would want better drawer glides and updated hardware and paint. That would cost a little, but I bet I could save at least $600 by using it. It's certainly worth trying to make it work.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Thanks, Martha. I like hearing about other people's projects, too.

It just occurred to me I might be able to take 4 of the drawers in the dresser and make 2 cabinet doors from them, with pull outs. I have a long time to think about that project. It probably wouldn't get done till we moved in.

The dresser came with a tall mirror. I was already planning to use that in the main bath over the vanity. Using the dresser too would just be gravy. I paid only $15 for that dresser at GW yrs ago, so it was a nice bargain.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I've been looking at closets made from pallets for weeks and not having much luck. I like this one though. Haven't made a final decision yet, but this looks simple enough even for me. I will need two 3x4 cabinets and two 3x3 for the two sides of the mud room, plus then I want to stack shorter ones on top to make them floor to ceiling and finish them with crown molding. That room is 16.5' wide so there's plenty of room for them. The cabinets will make that room far more useful. This is a long term project that I won't get to anytime soon.
Door Wood Wood stain Hardwood Gas

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
We used to have Freecycle. I don't know if we still do. I hate FB with a passion equaling the heat of 1,000 suns, but might have to hold my nose and start using it.

I had some new ideas about furniture arrangement in the sewing room, so I redid that this morning.
Rectangle Handwriting Font Parallel Pattern

By moving the table to the other end of the room, I can take full advantage of the entire north wall to put a couple machines against and put in a window over them, plus space to move a wardrobe out of the closet. Moving the wardrobe gains me a rack that holds 8 totes, all of which I can make good use of. I will be losing 3 totes that are now under the fabric rolls and pail storage, so I will need those. I also have a 1x2 shelf unit in my current closet, which I've never liked and won't have room for. It's full of fleece, quilted fabrics, upholstery, etc, all of which can go in the totes and be a lot less of a mess. It's a constant battle to keep that stuff on the shelves now, so good riddance, shelves. I like the new arrangement so much better. I do expect things will end up being moved around after I have my stuff in there, not unusual. It has helped so much to move the closet, because the main part of the sewing room is now 13x16, same as our current master BR. That makes it much easier to envision the space. It's hard to grasp it now when my future sewing room looks like this:
Wood Flooring Floor Rectangle Material property

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I get the strangest random ideas.

The house had a brochure rack left in it when we were there last. You can just see the bottom of it in this pic. It has 2 rows for sure, maybe 3. I haven't looked it over closely yet, but I'm wondering if I could remove the dividers and make a wall rack for my quilt rulers from it. Or maybe Husby could put it in his office for the tourism info he likes to collect.
Wood Flooring Floor Road surface Wood stain

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I've decided (for now) to stop thinking about the sewing room furniture arrangement. I keep getting new ideas, but I don't think I'll really know what goes where till everything is in the room. I know I have room for everything and that's all I need to know for now.

Time to switch gears and start planning the nitty gritty of the boring stuff like cutting up carpets and a tub. We're almost to the point where the time that's dragging now will start rushing by. I expect that to happen sometime next week. We need to have a plan and be ready. We need to go out of town, so need multiple lists for that. We need to pack tools and minimal household items for the temporary "kitchen." Need to call contractors and set up meetings. Need to start identifying items we don't need here but will there, so they can be packed and moved. Need to get more boxes. So much to do.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Yup. I'm looking forward to seeing where everything fits. That's a long way off though.

Not getting much done today. I think I need a mental health break. I just don't want to think about anything.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Since I quit thinking about the sewing room, I started thinking about the kitchen again and had to recognize some realities. First is we really like having our current island. We just hate not having space around it. Second is we know we would hate having any kind of upper shelving between us and the LR. Third, putting the table where we can't see out any window isn't a good plan. Fourth, Husby doesn't like the dresser-as-baking center idea, though he would live with it. All this together forced me to redo the kitchen plan. The main change is putting it back where it was and planning again to buy standard cabinets. The big dilemma was the vertical storage we'll need for the quart, pint, and smaller glass jars we use for assorted baking ingredients. We simply can't block the view into the LR, period. The obvious answer is to put a 24x10 shelf unit on one end of the baking center island. I think it will solve everything. I drew it up and it looks like everything will fit. I sure hope so. And I hope the kitchen dimensions aren't off because if so I'll be back to square one and very unhappy. I hate not being able to measure things!

I also just realized when we enclose our future 3 season porch, we can put our deck box in it where we store bird seed. The bears won't even know it's there. (I hope.) The bird seed has to be somewhere yr round, and it will be nice if it doesn't have to be in the main house in the summer any more.

The more I think, the better things fall into place. 🙂

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
It's good to have time to plan. I had years to think about what I wanted in a kitchen, although we weren't able to make all of it happen with our space or the resources available. Do you have any kind of floor plan for the existing space? I'd like to see what you're working with.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
No, I don't have the existing floor plan. The building is an L, with the bedroom with plank floors (9x19), mud room, office, pantry, stairway, and the ladies' room and men's room plus coat room in the short part of the L. That area has all walls already in place. We will be making only minor changes. The main section is the long L section, 25x37 or so, with two 6x6 rooms taken out at the front, and that's where most of the changes will be because we'll split it into a bedroom, sewing room, LR, and kitchen. One of the existing 6x6 rooms has a second staircase in it which will be removed so we can put a bathroom there along with removing that entire room, and I will be moving the other one to a different place in the sewing room. One of our limiting factors will be the wall vents because I suspect they would be hard (expensive) to move, so if there's any way to work around them, I prefer that approach. I'm also trying to avoid paying to add new headers for windows and doors. That means using existing openings even if it's not our first choice. There are some that won't be optional though.

I can't wait to get in there and lay out potential walls so we can pinpoint various obstacles.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Maybe this will help a little.
Sky Window Shade Architecture Building

The wall to the right of the doors is Husby's office wall.The doors open into the mud room. The windows to the left of the doors are in the bedroom with plank floor.
Sky Plant Window Cloud Building

From the right across front, the high right window is in the plank bedroom, center window in ladies' room, high left window is in men's room.
Fixture Wood Door Building Flooring

Men's room from inside. Coat room is in foreground. We will remove men's wall and combine with coat room to make new bathroom. Ladies' room is next to this area on the left and will become laundry room.

Another view of men's showing the double front doors across the hall from the basement stairs. It's not a hallway, just a landing. The archway in between is not the coat room wall. There isn't one, so we will have to add one to enclose the bathroom and create an enclosed hall to it, or open the other side of the stairway landing to create a hallway if the mens' and coat room don't provide enough space.
Fixture Door Wood Building Flooring

This is looking down the hall from the ladies' with doorway to coat room and stairway wall on left, plank bedroom on right. The tile floor at end is the mud room, the door is the pantry. The first doorway on the right is the bedroom, the sliver of door across the tile is the office.
Wood Fixture Interior design Floor Flooring

I'm hoping to get better pics after closing, so things might make more sense when I post.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Not sure I understand what's going on in the restroom/coat room/stairs area, but I think I got the rest of it.

Reactions: marthamfi

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
That area is confusing, for sure. I have a hard time remembering the details because there's a lot going on in that area. Here's a quick sketch. The bathroom measurements are fairly accurate. Coat room, not so much. Don't have any measurements at all for front porch since it was a low priority, although that might change. Mud room, office, and pantry are already built so those measurements are correct and won't be changed, although we'll add a doorway so we can walk between kitchen and pantry. That side of house not even close to scale.

Rectangle Font Parallel Handwriting Wood

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Ah, that's what I thought, stairs right in the middle of everything and more hallways than you need

What do you think about incorporating that hallway into the master bedroom? It seems like a waste of space to me. I know you want to avoid demo, and you'd need to match the flooring, but look at the space you'd get back. The en-suite laundry/bath area should be really handy.

Rectangle Building Font Slope Parallel

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
We did think about that, and I agree there's a little more hallway than needed, but decided against it. It just doesn't seem to flow as well. Without the access from both sides of the stairway, the bathroom would seem buried and cut off, and the laundry would be in the bedroom. But of course, I can't promise we won't change our minds.

The hallway by the bedroom isn't as long as it looks in the pics, so it's not as much wasted space as it seems. Everything looks way bigger than IRL. Also, the LR is right next to the double entry doors, so there isn't really a hallway on that side of the stairs. The "hallway" is just a strip of carpet, part of the LR.
Property Wood Building Interior design Flooring

I'm also thinking about someday building a tiered closet above the steps in this gigantic waste of space. That's so far down the priority list I can barely see it from here, but if we can't get the basement dried out, we may need it for storing things that can't be in a musty place. I'd rather have the doors for that storage in the long hall and not the LR.
Building Wood House Floor Fixture

81 - 100 of 122 Posts