Frugal Village Forums banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I recently discovered the men's room door is installed backwards. That means it was supposed to swing into the men's, not away from it. Of course, there isn't room for it to do that. But that means it will have the correct swing once we enlarge the bathroom, and we won't have to buy a new door. I keep finding more and more ways to save $100 here and there. It's adding up.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
We had a great discussion concerning our someday 3-season porch. That's it right there in the corner.
Plant Sky Window Building Tree

There is no door in it, just an opening at the left end, which is directly opposite the front entry doors. Today's plan is to close that opening and add a door approximately where the window is now. Door placement depends on if there is enough height for a standard door, which will be most likely next to the main part of the house. I'd rather have it centered, but since a stock door is now over $300, I shudder to think how much a custom door would cost. So we'll put a stock door wherever it fits, if anywhere. We already have a door, so really want to use a stock door. Anyway, putting a door where the window is now would leave the entire other wall available for windows. That wall faces north. Husby was disappointed the north wall in the main house (where the cross is) won't have appropriate windows for viewing the northern lights, but he will be able to sit in the porch when it's done for that. We will both enjoy it. We have two glider rockers to go in the porch and I plan to add a cushion on top of our deck box that will also be in the porch. That will become extra seating. We looked up electric fireplaces and can possibly get a small one for around $200. Thought it would be much more. With so many higher priorities in the house, the porch has mostly been ignored, so it was fun to give it our full attention for a couple of hours. It's also good to have a rudimentary plan in mind.

Still trying to figure out the best way to arrange the plank bedroom, which will also be my tiny office. I've concluded I can't figure it out on paper but have to wait (torture!) till we close and I can move around in that space for a while, and rearrange our fake furniture in there. I have several options, all of which involve ripping out the bedroom wall, so may need to do that before making any final choices.

Decided to build the pantry shelves in 3 sections, instead of doing it all in one. That will give me more flexibility for placement of various elements such as drawers and lazy susans. It should make the whole project a lot more manageable.

It feels like we're just spinning our wheels, but I guess all this planning is progress of a sort.

·
Registered
965 Posts

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
That's clever. I like the handles on the side. In my family we used to store the jars on 2x4s nailed between the framing in the cellar. Of course, if you don't have a cellar.....

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I finally followed up on a theory I've had for years, that Damp Rid was the same thing as ice melt. Turns out I was right, and ice melt is way, way cheaper. Can't wait to DIY several pails of Damp Rid. I've never used or needed Damp Rid before, but I'm hoping it will help dry out and unstink our basement. I bought a pail of Damp Rid for $10 at Menards, so I can just duplicate that and never have to spend $10 again. It's not like we don't have a stack of ice cream pails all ready and waiting.

Husby was saying yesterday how this house deal doesn't seem like it's really happening because there's nothing going on on our end. I realized with all the houses we've bought, we've never done a conventional home loan. Wonder how we escaped that.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Today's wild idea is to repurpose FIL's antique radio. Husby doesn't want to get rid of it. I've been trying to make that happen for at least 20 yrs, but no. My idea is to make an electric fireplace out of it for our front porch. I can't recall the details of the front of it at all, so I'm hoping it will work. It would be nice upcycled into something useful and unique, and it would also be nice to have a decorative way to take the chill off in the porch during the shoulder seasons.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I've been thinking about this cart for a while now.
Wood Rectangle Flooring Gas Tints and shades

It's been a disappointment since the day we got it. It's just too flimsy for heavy loads. We've used it but not much. It converts to be either a hand truck or a push cart. It's very annoying in push cart mode because the front wheels don't turn. But it might have some potential as a house cart if I have some different wheels. It would be easy to remove the big hand truck plate on the front, make a couple scrap wood platforms for it, clean it up, and paint it. It might work just fine in the pantry and kitchen. It's the size I want. We plan to use it for light loads at the house right now, and if I can get it to steer nicely, I can do the whole upgrade later when we need it as a house cart. I'm looking for the win-win-win, not having to buy a house cart, putting something to better use that has always been underutilized, and getting excess clutter out of the garage. Hope it works out.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Ours would have been much more useful if it was heavy duty. We bought from one of those catalogs that were popular yrs ago, that always made big promises they didn't keep. I figured out I could drill 4 holes in the cart handle and attach it to the big plate instead of getting rid of the plate, and then the steering wheels would be on the front, with the big straight wheels in back. I haven't thought about the project much beyond that. It's a long way off, and who knows, maybe I'll find an actual house cart at a garage sale for $2 and save the trouble of having to mod the cart I have.

We are finally at the end of all the hoop-jumping. The loan closes next week, house sale closes in 11 days, 9 hrs, 20 minutes, 36 seconds. Then the madness really begins.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
I'm so bored with looking at the same crappy pics of the house. I especially hate the ones with stuff still in the building. Yes, I would like some cheese with my whine.

I'm also frustrated with my bedroom. Everything almost fits but not quite. I hope once we're in and can start rearranging fake furniture, a solution will magically present itself. Which reminds me, I can distract my whiny self by making some fake furniture now so we'll have something to rearrange.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I recently bought a couple rolls of "ram board" (stiff cardboard that protects floors...) and now with massive construction delays (more on that elsewhere), I have all this nice stiff cardboard that I may not need. I'm thinking it will be excellent for cutting window sizes and fake furniture/fixtures out of...like how big is a toilet really and do I have room for a shower and/or tub in the odd bathroom that seemed like a good idea years ago. If you need to protect floors anyway, one could put that down and grab chalk for the moved walls etc, door swing space (sounds like previous occupants weren't super good at accounting for door swing space).

I like thick cardboard cutouts for furniture too.

·
Super Moderator
24,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I think the only floor we will need to protect will be where we will remove the closet wall. We asked for and were given all the heavy industrial floor mats which will help protect the tile. We get the fun and expense of putting new flooring everywhere else. I'm hoping we can deconstruct some of the plank flooring in the bedroom because it will need to be changed when the closet wall is removed, so might as well move it out of the way first.

I made my sewing room closet 1ft smaller today. I think I'll still be able to fit everything in it, and 5x6 is still a lot bigger than the 4x4 I have now.

Still tinkering with ideas for my bedroom. The latest problem is the giant 50" dresser my mom wants me to inherit. She had it custom built by a craftsman who hand carved the numerous drawer pulls it has so it's a quality piece, and it matches the smaller one she gave to Husby when she moved to her apartment about 10 yrs ago. She wants the set to be together when she's gone. I think by giving up a foot of my sewing closet it will make room for the big dresser, and the smaller one will fit in my bedroom. Then I hope my bead cabinet, still unknown desk, and printer stand will fit in my bedroom, too. It will be tight, but I keep reminding myself we did want to downsize. 🙄🙄

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I'm also thinking about someday building a tiered closet above the steps in this gigantic waste of space. That's so far down the priority list I can barely see it from here, but if we can't get the basement dried out, we may need it for storing things that can't be in a musty place. I'd rather have the doors for that storage in the long hall and not the LR.
I'm thinking you can frame in a cabinet or storage closet accessible from the hallway or whatever is on the far end of that. (entry?)

101 - 120 of 122 Posts