Frugal Village Forums banner
121 - 140 of 231 Posts

· Super Moderator
24,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I may have found our kitchen lighting! I would love this over the ktchen island.
Glasses Eyewear Vision care Twig Wood

And this over the table.
Hair Rectangle Shade Material property Twig

They are both 5' long and cost $3,600 and $1,900 respectively, plus tax. 😳😳🤯 Oh, and I would need a smaller one over the sink, too. Can't wait to see the look on Husby's face when I inform him of these finds. That $2,000 double basin double drainboard sink will look cheap in comparison. 🤣🤣 I'll torture him a while before informing him I want to DIY them. Or maybe I will have changed my mind by the time I wake up.

Weathered pallet wood would work nicely for these.

Gonna need lots more deer sheds.

· Super Moderator
24,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Today's topic of conversation here is attic ladders. The new place doesn't have one. But we bought one for our garage right before my arm injuries. Needless to say it never got installed, and now it won't be. The attic access in the new place is about the size of a postage stamp, so we're hoping we can get the pull down ladder installed before the electricians have to work up there. I'm happy now we never got the ladder installed in the garage. They are selling for about $300 now, so it's a big savings not to have to buy one.

We packed up the Zero Day tools and stuff, so that's ready. Not as much as we had planned, but the locksmith who was supposed to rekey our locks now can't do it, so we are awaiting new locks, scheduled to arrive Friday. We're hoping to get them installed Sunday. Then we will be more comfortable leaving things in the building.

· Super Moderator
24,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
What a week! We were supposed to close Wednesday, but there's a problem with the title, so we signed an extension to close on or before 12/21. No idea if that will actually happen. Very disappointing. The docs are in a lawyer's hands now, and we're not sure what the problem is, how or if it can be resolved, or how long any of this is going to take. So we wait. Frustrating.

We got the new lock sets and they're really nice. I'm glad we got new ones instead of rekeying the old ones. We can either use the old ones inside the house on new doors, or sell them at our rummage sales this yr. Either way, it will offset the cost of the new ones. I don't think we'll lose much, if anything, by buying new locks. The old ones also have levers instead of knobs, which we prefer.

It occurred to me last night we're going to want some way to transport stuff from our parking lot into the house, like groceries. I also want a house cart that lives in the pantry. I thought about a folding wagon for bringing in groceries, but then it's another expense and something more to store. I've been trying to figure out the house cart using things we already have, but not getting very far. I keep coming back to this little cart.
Wood Rectangle Flooring Gas Tints and shades

It's generally the right size and shape and very sturdy for kitchen tasks, but there are things we dislike about it. The main things are the front wheels don't pivot so it's hard to steer, and the big wheels are too clunky and could damage our brand new cabinets when we get them. I think we can correct both problems. And I think it can be modified to work as a kitchen cart and a general purpose cart for hauling groceries from the parking lot. If we can make it a multitasker, we won't need a wagon or a place to store anything more. Much better. And it would be sturdy enough to handle a 50 pound bag of bird food or other items that seem to get heavier every yr. I'm liking this little cart more and more. The short term plan for now is to clean it up and switch the handle to the opposite end, so the pivoting wheels are then at the front, like a grocery cart. Then we'll use it for hauling stuff during the remodel and see how we like it. If we do, then when it needs to become a kitchen cart, I'll build a couple shelves for it. Who knows? It might actually work.

· Registered
984 Posts
I throw a rubber tub on my foldy cart like that. And I've gotten used to swinging the back end (heh heh) wide to make turns. I use mine to haul stuff in and out of storage and for small stuff, grocery bags, and keeping slush of everything, the rubber tub helps and seems to be fairly stable.
I also got one of these sleds for outdoor hauling at my property. I can use it on snow or grass all year:
Boat Watercraft Plant Liquid Fruit

The one I got is pretty small, the size of 1 bale of straw. They make smaller too. I no longer want a garden cart. This is a bit harder to haul around, but it does NOT run down the hill the minute I let go. even in snow it has sticking power. I've had it 5 years and other than replacing the tow-rope, it's been perfect.

· Super Moderator
24,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
I can see where those sleds would be handy in many different ways. It wouldn't work inside our house though. I've found it easier to pull carts like mine instead of push them, but don't want to do that for everyday use. I will need a kitchen cart that has a top shelf approximately counter top height. Right now, there are different places I can set stuff I pull out of the freezers, big fridge, and pantry, but I won't have that in the new place, which would be too inconvenient. A "counter top" on the cart should do the trick. It has to be small so it can be parked right in front of the pantry shelves when not in use, but easily movable to get to anything behind it.

I'm currently debating about buying windows a few at a time, starting next month. I'm afraid if we wait till spring or summer and try to get them all at once, they might not have enough available when we need them. Plus if we got two or three at a time, we could bring them home ourselves and save a big delivery charge. We pretty much know where we want windows and how many, just not down to the inch where they will go. Have to think. We really don't want to buy too far ahead but all I keep hearing is "low inventory" and not just on the news but on store websites. We have to have decent windows before next winter and won't have time for back orders.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
SD, have you checked into any of those places that do $199 windows? We got all ours replaced about 10 years ago, and they were custom made double pane windows. Every window in our house is a different size. They measured, and came back a week or two later and put them all in during one day. It was significantly less expensive than any other options I looked at and are pretty nice.

Reactions: marthamfi

· Super Moderator
24,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I think it's easier to find that kind of service in urban areas. Besides, we will have few, if any, windows that will be replaced with windows of the same size, so it's going to be much more involved than removing old windows and popping in new ones, unfortunately. I wonder if anyone does custom windows for $199 including installation anymore. That seems very cheap these days.

· Super Moderator
24,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
We're currently dead in the water, waiting for closing. It sounds a lot more involved than previously expected, so we just have to wait for a legal opinion.

I found this light online.
Sky Light Cloud Lighting Tints and shades

I think this is a bad pic with all the stuff in the background and I don't like all the clutter on top of the sled except maybe the lantern, but I like the sled/light itself. We happen to have just such a sled in our garage. I'm thinking about it. I think it would fit our lodge/rustic decor very nicely.

· Super Moderator
24,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Thanks. I keep focusing on the fact that every day we don't close, it's money in our pockets since we're not paying taxes, insurance, snow removal, and other expenses, and every day is a day closer to the end of heating season, too.

We thought we were buying 2 parcels with the house, but it's actually 3. Okay, then.

The wind is picking up. Forecast is for 15" of snow between now and Saturday. It's a really good week to not own a second house.

· Super Moderator
24,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Kinda thinking of buying a big honkin' china hutch for this space. Yes, it's another of Husby's weirdly composed pics, but it's all I have ATM, sorry.
Tile flooring Rectangle Wood Road surface Floor

This wall is in the mud room between the pantry door on the right and the kitchen wall on the left. Don't have a measurement, but I deduce it's roughly 6 feet. I want cookbook space with doors at the top, plus shelves and doors at the bottom for board games and puzzles, and a couple drawers in the middle for card games and loose recipes and small recipe booklets, recipe cards, etc. I keep trying to make something we already own work but nothing does. Frustrating. It will be interesting to see what we find in the next couple of yrs, or what I think of using instead.

· Super Moderator
24,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Tuesday: Finally, it's a done deal. This whole thing has seemed unreal from the beginning, and now that it's done, that doesn't seem real either. I got the new locks put in Tuesday. It was sunny but around zero and windy, so no fun to be had there. I'm glad that's over.

We moved in some supplies but the goal was the locks, so not a lot. Husby tested the carpet cutter on a 4' cut and it seems to work as advertised. He's excited to get started onthe basement carpet but we have some other things to do first.

The windows-- uffdah. They do have storm windows, but they're about ½" from the inner windows and held on with plastic clips, so not much air in between the 2 panes and probably no seals on the storm windows. The frost on the inside is already ½" thick in some places. Crazy. Can't wait to get new windows.

Wednesday: I started this post yesterday and fell asleep. I knew we would be mentally exhausted once we took possession. I was also frozen to the bone after putting in the new locks, so spent the evening under blankets by the fire, not wanting to do anything.

It's fun exploring the place with all the time in the world now, soaking in all the details we've been wondering about but couldn't check out.

The sellers left us a large piece of plexiglass I was hoping to get. We didn't ask for it, so that was nice. I have plans for it and that's a savings. Other little bonuses include a nice whiteboard I wanted for either the shop or pantry, a corkboard for same, two 30 gallon trash cans with lids, one large and one small bottle of Dawn dish soap, two sets of plywood shelves containing at least $100 worth of lumber we can reuse, and the big giant bulletin board.

They finished removing the small bulletin boards they had above the giant one, which I really appreciate. Last time we saw it, it was quite a mess. Less work for us now. I have to say they left the entire place pretty much spotless, also much appreciated. Even the paint is clean. That's doubly thoughtful since the water is shut off for winter and doing any kind of cleaning would have been problematic.

Per the purchase agreement, they left all six of the big industrial floor mats we had asked for, plus 2 smaller ones I had forgotten about. We also got the cordless lawnmower plus 2 batteries, charger, and grass catcher. Husby was planning to buy one as soon as we bought any house. They're very expensive so it's a significant savings and very nice of them to have agreed to include it with the house. It's still a current model that sells for about $800, money we can now put into windows instead.

I was too tired to look at the floor plan last night, but I think the measurement for the kitchen might be right after all, 9x22. If so, I won't have to redraw that and give up cabinet space.

We're still getting paperwork done for stuff like insurance and propane, but that should all shake out in a few days. Insurance's computers were down yesterday, but they assured us we're covered. Hopefully we can get that dealt with today.

Today's plan is to move a bunch of stuff like small tables, a couple chairs so we can sit at the table, micro, fridge, Porta Throne, etc and get ourselves set up so we have what we need to work there comfortably. Once that stuff is in, then we want to cut 5" wide carpet strips so we can lay out fake walls and get some idea of whether our floor plan will work. It will be interesting to see how far we get. Moving in zero degree weather is not fun. Right now the main priority will be the Porta Potty.

We might have to buy some groceries today, too, somewhere in all that.

My bedroom is only 8'8" wide, which is a problem. However there are several options for dealing with it. One would involve moving the bedroom doorway closer to the laundry room. I've been obsessed about that idea because I thought there might have been a doorway there before but couldn't tell from pics. But there was not only a doorway, but a 4' wide archway! That means if it's a load bearing wall, there should already be a header there, and also I can adjust where to put a normal size door to make best use of the space as I want it. Moving the bedroom door has now become a much easier project, if we decide to do that, and also a much cheaper project we can DIY. I'm very excited to rip out the closet wall, which has to be done regardless of what plan we choose for the bedroom. Then I think the answer to the bedroom dilemma will become obvious. I never wanted to deal with small bedrooms, but no house is perfect and I'm confident there will be an acceptable solution at some point. I'm very happy about the discovery of the hiddn archway. It has the potential to easily solve so many problems.

· Registered
13,526 Posts
Happy to hear the news, SD, and glad you got so many of the extra things like the cork board and mower.

· Super Moderator
24,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Found some other minor treasures today, 2 kitchen drawers full of brand new pkgs of trash bags, scrubbies, rubber gloves, and stuff like that. All useful and much appreciated.

I dragged home the brochure rack today. As I suspected, it's nailed together with little brads. It should be easy to take apart unless it's all glued, but it looks like it might not be. It's about an inch deep front to back, but I think that might hold quite a few quilt rulers on the wall by my sewing table. I will still need the rack I built to sit on the table but that would work best to have that for the ones I use most with the wall rack for the others. I'm hoping this works out but it's only a theory at this point. Here it is with an 18" ruler. If I remove the top shelf and all the vertical dividers, it would hold all my square rulers, and if I remove the third shelf, it will hold several like the one in the pic. It's a pretty nice rack, really. I think I'll like it by my table.
Rectangle Wood Shelving Wood stain Hardwood

It's starting to feel more like ours now that we're moving in our own stuff. We're using Husby's future office for our temporary kitchenette. It needs the least work of the 4 rooms we're starting with, probably just a new window and wiring, so it will require less shuffling when work does need doing, and it also has a door that can be closed for privacy and dust control when we have crews on site. It also has a wall cabinet and shelves for kitcheny stuff, so it's going to work well for a kitchenette.
Shelf Shelving Pink Wood Drinkware

We ditch-picked this little table a few yrs ago. It's holding up the salvaged microwave ATM because we need to move in another table for that, but it will make a nice lunch table for now. I was going to sell it but I think it will end up in the mud room after the remodel. Right now, our washer is right inside our most used door and we use that all the time to set stuff on, going in or out of the house. We would really miss it if we had to just dump everything on the floor in the new place. Anyway, it's perfect for current needs. The chairs are from my sewing room. Not fancy, but comfortable. I'm trying to avoid buying things if we can make do with what we already have.
Table Furniture Wood Flooring Floor

We made some actual progress today, too. We cut all of the aisle carpeting into 5" strips to use to lay out our walls. It should be more than enough. We have more carpet to cut into 24" wide strips to lay out the kitchen cabinets. It will help so much to visualize how things might work. The carpet cutter is worth every dime and so much easier and quicker than using a utility knife. Husby was kinda lukewarm about spending so much money on a single purpose tool we will probably never use after this remodel, but after today he's completely sold.
Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Hardwood

We also got the one stubborn nail out of the corner of the whiteboard, so it's out of the pantry now.

We got a good look at the underside of the stage area and it looks like they raised the subfloor instead of building on top of it. That means I can't use the stage floor to build my pantry shelves because it will have to be used to fill in the subfloor under the stage after it's removed, so that's a financial setback. Oh, well. We can't be lucky every time, and if I have to buy new materials, it's an opportunity to explore options. I'm lookingvforward to the rip and tear on the stage so we can see what we're dealing with. It may more involved than anticipated.

All in all, it's been a good day, even with a high of minus 2. So glad we closed yesterday andgot locks changed. As cold as it was yesterday to work outside, it would have been much worse today.

121 - 140 of 231 Posts