Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went from office work to retail...big, big mistake. I'm over 50 now, and finding retail too strenuous physically, and the management in the organizations where I've worked are money mad and not people friendly.

I want to get back into office work, and know I'll have to start at the bottom...AGAIN! I haven't really worked in offices for a long, long time, although I've kept up with the basic skills and programs, like Word and Excel. I'm trying to learn Power Point now. Have it on my computer, and have noticed a lot of vacancies are calling for it.

Anyway, in the meantime, I'm applying for receptionist jobs, entry level, just to get my foot in the door and establish some references, and I'm thinking of registering at the temps to get a temp-to-perm position, or just to work on my days off, so I can get some references.

There aren't a lot of jobs around here, and most of them are filled through networking, so I'm just sort of SOL with that, as I'm not a very social person. I was told that there is a professional working women's organization around here, but my schedule in retail doesn't really allow me to attend meetings, since I work mostly at night.

I just had a confrontation with my boss yesterday at the store where I work, and he's the type that doesn't let you say anything, so I just listened. He's been manager there for only a short time, and I came in right after he did. I've seen morale in the store go downhill quickly since he's been there. He's an autocratic type manager, and his word is law. He expects 100% perfection at all times. If you're injured, he makes it very difficult for you.

I'm thinking seriously of leaving Florida, but I own a home, such as it is, and the real estate market is really dead right now.

So I'm frustrated, which isn't helping much in my attitude at work. I used to go in there smiling and happy, now I don't know who to trust, and I'm just gloomy all the time.

Thanks for listening. I'm sure many of you have faced similar circumstances.

Jade

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Jade,

I am sorry to hear your having a hard time a work, just continue to look for other pt office jobs to get your foot in the door, I've seen ads that will train if needed. You seem like a very hard worker and you have a great head on your shoulders but you do what is right for you. :)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have done my fair share of retail so I know how hard it really can be. Often people think it looks like fun to sell clothes or shoes or whatever but their is a lot of pressure to sell , sell, sell. Your pay is often dependent on it and the women who work in those places are very competive and fight with eachother over customers. I wish you luck in finding a new job soon but in the mean time jsut hand in tight and go it work everyday and keep to yourself. Do what you are supose to do and dont worry about anybody else.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Ditto on the retail. Hardest job I've had! And most irritating. I'm not cut out to sell or cater to customers.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I hope you find a job in an office, I wish you luck with your job search. I am not a fan of retail work either, I didn't like climbing tall ladders to get down stock and inventory for annoying, rude customers. It was very sales driven and I think the worst place I have worked so far that has been overly sales driven was a bank, as a bank teller. I hope to never experience that again, we had to always be selling (no commission, if you didn't make your quota they just fired you). Of course that pitted each teller against the other one, because we all wanted "the sale," I started out as a people person in life and I still am a friendly person, but for the year and a half that I worked there I was miserable and my family thought I was seriously depressed. I even went on anti-depressants (they made me fat and didn't help my disposition). I felt much better about life after I left that situation. I am now applying to a behind the scenes banking job, where I won't be interacting with customers or have to sell anything. I feel for you and I'll send good vibes your way that you find a job that suits you best :).

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Working retail is a very difficult job! Just stick with it until something better comes along and it will! Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone. I'm definitely going to hang in there, because I need the $$. I hope that I find another job soon, though. I'm applying at all the banks, too, because teller positions pay o.k. and I'm definitely qualified.

The main problem is that summer is the "off" season in FL, so jobs are few and far between.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Jaded, what part of Florida are you in? The reason I ask is that we have an affliate bank in Florida that I could name drop you with.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Jaded, sorry to hear of your troubles at work. It is hard to be joyful when your supervisor makes the environment unbearable. Hang in there. Hopefully something else will come up soon in another line of work.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Jade,
I have worked retail for almost my entire working life. Most recently the retail clothing inventory. You were correct in saying that it is very draining both physically and emotionally. A salesperson always has to be "on" and selling. A manager who pits employees against eachother, threatens if not by words with actions, or intimidates employees is not a good manager. I have seen this bully style of management before, it may work in the short term, because those employees who can not afford to leave put up with it, and will work extrodinarily hard to make goals, just not to lose their job, but they get burnt out. It does not foster a good working enviroment. The long term affects of this bully style of management creates distrust, anger and frustration. I bet the turnover in your store is on the high side.
It is true when a manager pits the employees against eachother you dont know who you can trust. A bully style manager will usually have a snitch, and I know that there are plenty of takers to be the snitch, if the manager is a bully and they want to stay on his good side. You need your job, so vent in places like here a FG, also to outside work friends. Recently at the store I work, it was discovered that a women who I and several others thought was very nice and friendly was the informer to one of the managers. So now I will vent to my friends, husband, and here, never at work.
Bad managers are a real drain on everyone who works for them. Especially new managers. They are out to prove themselves, and make themselves look good. So the only way to do that on the store level is to increase sales and productivity. At the upper level of retail management that is all that really counts, it is the only measurable means of proving a manager is doing a good job in their eyes. It really doesnt matter if the workers dont like it. Sales are the bottom line. Another reason why managers push sales is to increase their personal bonus.
Retail stores offer department managers bonus money, more vacations etc, if they increase sales, come in under the dollar amount allowed for labor, and things like that. Department managers may get good bonus money, it is upper level store leve management (store managers, assit. store managers,) the ones that work in the offices, not the managers on the floor, that will get a insane bonus. The bonus incentive goes all the way to the top.
You said that you have office skills, that is great, keep up with them. A part time job in an office, may just what you need to boost your resume.
It can be a very hard transition from retail to office work. Human resource personnel I have spoken too have told me that I dont have any job skills, because I have been in retail too long I am currently looking to enroll in a microsoft office course. If you want to vent more, please pm me. I know what you are going through,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts