Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tank hold's 275 gallons and it still had 62 gallons left before I had them top it off..this is really getting me scared of what we will have to pay the next time we need to fill it...We paid $3.05 a gallon and that's through small business guy and not one of the big company's we have locally..I would imagine they want at least &3.50 or more a gallon...I just talked to my dh (whom is in Georgia for 18 day's)that we need to use the woodstove in our basement for the blunt of our heat source from now on..I will not touch it due to mental issues of my house burning down to the grown when I was a young child the fire started in the chimney..I know I will not have no choice at some point but to tend to the woodstove since I would be home more then my dh..I also suggested that we put a woodstove in our livingroom..he grunted over this suggestion..but I think we should follow through with this idea since we already have another woodstove out in our garage that my dad gave us...we have lot's of wood here on our property and my dad's property so no money spent just alot of physical labor..nothing that 3 teenage boy's can't handle!

What have you paid for you heating fuel?

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I have an all-electric home, so my bill is through the roof most months. :( I don't know what propane sells for out here, but I have been thinking about adding a propane tank and converting the stove, water heater, and clothes dryer.

·
2,688 Posts
Fuel costs continue to rise for all types of heating.

This house has a propane furnace. We used to use 500 gallons of propane a year to heat and the kitchen stove. Now we have a hundred pounder,approximatly 23 gallon tank hooked up to our stove. First tank lasted 7 months, second tank 10 months. Cost to fill it is about $ 70. So approx 7 to 10 $ a month. Not bad at all.
I wanted wood heat, and we ended up with a outside wood boiler furnace for our heat, and our domestic hot water. It runs through our existing inside setup. Propane furnace is now shut off. Our 3rd winter with wood. House is very warm in the winter, and I have all the hot water I want. I wish we had done it sooner. Our house had been paid off. We borrowed through a fixed HEL to get the money for the furnace. A few years ago, we bought a tri axle load of logs for $ 575. One has to cut this down to the size you want to burn. Now same size load is pushing $ 1000. About 14-15 face cords.
( which is about what we burn in a winter )
Cheapest price we could get a face cord now is $ 45 from the next door neighbor. I am going to see if hubby can strike some kind of deal with him. Maybe cutting on shares. The big sellers of wood are getting $ 70 a face cord, and that is on a big truck and in quanity. Not sure what they are charging for a single face cord, on a pickup truck load.

If we were still using propane, it is now around $ 4 a gallon or more, depending on how much you use. Last price we paid was $ 2.45 a gallon and I was totally unhappy about it. Every year, the price had continued to rise. No end in sight, it seemed like. We had no control.

The elderly neighbor just put in a new fuel oil furnace. They had always heated with wood. Big mistake for them. Fuel oil is $ 2.99 a gallon and because their tank is outside, they have to use kerosene at $ 3.99 a gallon. They have the furance set at 66 and a space heater ( not good ) in the living room. The adult daughter says they are safe because they have 3 carbon monoxide detectors. Sorry, but I would not bet my life on a detector sounding the alarm.

The old farm house we used to live in, had several chimney fires. Lots of time, smoke in the house, due to the old furnace drafting. Everything in the house had a smoke smell.
Our decision here was to put the furnace OUTSIDE.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It is $4 here for LP and not looking any better..I sub with wood stove in the basement but have so many wonderful friends and neighbors that keep me in wood now..Before DH passed we did all the cutting and stuff ourself..

To buy wood here it is $75 a face cord if you can get it.

·
27,948 Posts
Here are the current fuel oil prices here in NY:
NYSERDA - Weekly Average Home Heating Oil Prices

We fill our tank every other year and this was the year we had to do it and filled up in Sept at $2.799/gal. We tried to time it for the lowest price but should have called a few weeks sooner for a delivery. Glad we bought then & not now.
We heat with wood mostly and that we get from our property.
Bitter cold over the next few days and both the furnace & the fireplace insert with blower will be working hard.
Stay warm and safe all.

Reactions: ladytoysdream

·
2,688 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
We only use fuel for our hot water, so wee haven't filled our propane tank lately, but my dad just paid around $600.00 to fill his, which works out to about four dollars a gallon, I believe, so it's gone way up since we filled ours. We've used the wood stove more than ever this winter to save on electric. Moving in another wood stove sounds like a good idea. Perhaps you could install more smoke alarms to give you more peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I just spent some time reading on this site.
What I found VERY interesting was that , they do not track wood as a home heating fuel.
Thank goodness they don't track wood or there would be a ban on it, more taxes then we could take, and I could think of another 100 scenarios of how they want everyone broke right now or paying out the nose. Sorry for the soapbox rant....LOL But I live in Illinois ( the high taxes till you all move out state) for NOW...... Looking up moving vans and buying my farm elsewhere....lol

Brenda,

I use to have a wonderful wood stove and propane with two heating systems in the mountains of N . California, served me well and I could heat the whole house with wood. Now have gas and a wood fireplace insert, but am going to be buying a farm and will definitely be going to an out door furnace like Ladystoydream, a wood stove and more if possible... Good luck to you hon! I would get the house checked, the wood burner in the basement , chimney swept and use that baby with blessings. Blessings , stay warm and hugs to you all!

Reactions: brenda67

·
2,688 Posts
Thank goodness they don't track wood or there would be a ban on it, more taxes then we could take, and I could think of another 100 scenarios of how they want everyone broke right now or paying out the nose. Sorry for the soapbox rant....LOL But I live in Illinois ( the high taxes till you all move out state) for NOW...... Looking up moving vans and buying my farm elsewhere....lol
In NY, one is only allowed to purchase wood 50 miles or less from where you live. Elm disease spreading. Some counties are shut down and one can only buy/sell in the county you live in.

A wood vender is supposed to charge sales tax on wood.
Some have it figured into their price per face cord.

The DEC thought they were going to change the rules on outside boilers. They had some community meetings and realized they had a hornet's nest of angry OWB owners. Existing set ups, are now grandfathered in. New rules got watered down. And why they went after just OWB's is beyond me. They did not include wood stoves, inside wood furnaces, or fireplaces. Which also burn wood and make smoke.

In NY, we have high property, school and other taxes. We do have a different governor now, so maybe things will change some.
I sure hope so.

Reactions: HappyMama

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
This is very discouraging. Our most recent oil delivery was $3.169 a gallon in December, in October we paid $2.669 per gallon. Our home is heated by forced hot water by oil. I think I need a nap :(

·
27,948 Posts
On the bright side... I for one am so glad I don't live in a McMansion. ;) Smaller homes (especially well insulated) rock.:thumb:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
We live in a 1400 sq ft ranch, and have a wood stove in our basement, with a few small grills in the living area to help the heat rise, plus we leave the basement door open to allow the heat up. Our main living area is usually 74ish, the bedrooms 64-68ish. We use 3-4 cords of wood a year, we cut some off our 3 acres, buy 2-3 cords long length logs we have delivered and hubby chainsaws to size and then splits with a borrowed splitter. We have our chimney cleaned/inspected every late summer by the same guy who has his own small company to help do it safely. We 'pre-buy' our oil every year in Jan/Feb through a local company....it is a min. of 500 gallons for the next season, we bought 550 gallons for next year at 2.999. Most years we have saved $ doing this, only lost $ one year. It is a LOT of $ upfront, but peace of mind to know it's taken care of (no more scary 'here comes the oil truck, what will the total be?' moments), and again, usually we save $. It is hard to say, but I have a hard time seeing heating oil being less $ than that next year1 I think it is about $3.19+ here per gallon now, up the .20 even since we bought our prebuy 1/10. We would use much less oil if not for my hubby's machine shop, in our garage, which much be heated, we keep it at 62, bought a special extra insulated garage door, but I still suspect a lot of our oil is used in there.....'pre-buy' runs 9/1-4/1, you can use any monetary balance towards your purchases, we'll probably get topped off twice this summer, maybe once, depends how prices look (we use the oil for hot water too).

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am so glad we have our woodstove.This takes the sting out of our oil bill.We just had our first fill up this season,cost $440.00.Here in Canada the price is by the liter .95 cents.Then we get the HST tax on top.That was $50.00 of the bill.I am lucky compared to most as I use so little oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.