Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was re-evaluating things in life the past few days. My husband and I have had a really hard time this year, doing without so our kid can have etc. He has resumes out and cannot seem to land a job, so its been difficult.

So I was sitting wondering at what it is I do to stretch the money, and what it is that I can do to stretch it further, then what it is I can do to stretch items further.

It dawned on me that I have been using toothpaste a little too freely, been using a strip the size of the tooth brush when in reality you dont need that much....so began using less, told the kids they dont need to use as much, they used to put the brush full and end up spitting more into the sink then what was actually brushed....

So thats just one little thing that came to mind that I could have been doing to cut back...

Whats something that has dawned on you recently, something that you took for granted, and realized mmm, this might help?

Reactions: Wendy99

·
2,688 Posts
I do my share of pushing things to the max.

My most recent one yesterday, was talking the hubby into going to a slaugter house about a half hr from us, and taking some totes along as I had a major purchase in mine. Got 50 pounds beef liver at .50 cent #, beef heart, about 12 pound at .79 #, beef suet for $1.20 # and then a couple of nice steaks. Good thing the liver is in 1 pound pkgs, so it went into the freezer into small areas. Plan is to do some canning for dog food. Suet I let out yesterday is now in freezer bags for lard that we can use. The cracklings got reheated this morning, and I added some other items, and the chickens had a warm stew of sorts for breakfast.
Best part the hubby never questioned my bulk buy.

Reactions: Laux

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I try and use as little as "product" that will still do the job. That goes for all liquid soaps/detergents, lotion/cream, toothpaste, etc... I also sometimes dilute liquid soaps with water. Better on the pocketbook and the environment. hth!

·
Registered
708 Posts
okay love this thread...

I wrote up a list of every toiletry that we use...

One thing that i am going to cut back on is no more shaving cream for myself...I can use shampoo and lather it up very well...I also am going to cut back on razors....I'm not going to let the hair on legs grow to the point of looking like a garden but once a week should be sufficient.

Toilet paper i am being very anal about how much people are using... we use way to much....and we can cut that purchase probably by 25%....

I am only going to purchase toothpaste when it is on sale for $1 a tube and if it gets really tight....there is the old fashioned baking soda......

Toothbrushes....6 for $1, no more $2.49 a brush that doesn't last a whole lot longer than the cheapos....

This past week was very rough for us due to some mortgage issues getting totally out of hand but after talking to the main office we were able to get it straighted out...Phew....but it came down to the point of having to take some laundry detergent and water it down and using it for dish soap.....

I also take the laundry soap and empty half into an empty bottle and fill the rest with water and then do it with the other half.. I buy tide but get two bottles for the price of one... I wonder if i could water it down more...?

I would love to hear other peoples ideas...

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Clothes detergent...I get the WalMart concentrated powder brand and I am only using 2-3 Tablespoons per large load of clothes. I am not a coal miner and my clothes get clean with that amount of detergent. I do put them in the washer with the detergent and let them agitate for 2 minutes...then let soak them for at least 30 minutes...then turn the washer back on and let them finish washing.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tear my dryer sheets in half and sometimes 1/3's. And I use a very very small amount of laundry detergent. It gets my clothes clean and they smell good, so :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I try and use as little as "product" that will still do the job. That goes for all liquid soaps/detergents, lotion/cream, toothpaste, etc... I also sometimes dilute liquid soaps with water. Better on the pocketbook and the environment. hth!
Isn't that it "just dawned on me" but has become a way of life.

I do the same as stated above.........always dilute the soaps - except dish soap...but hand and shampoo, I do. Even creme rinse, if it is a thick one.....only use about the size of a dime....smear around on my hands and then put it in my hair.

Refill the foaming hand soap dispenser with body wash/water ---since I get this for a gift and don't use it. (makes the tub too slick!)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i also water down anything liquid! to include dish soap..but, to dishsoap i add a pinch of blean and a pinch of vinegar.

i also use 1/2 of required laundry detergent and some borax. i use vinegar as softener in dark clothes and towels and sheets.

i wont give up my venus razor blades! no way no how...lol

·
Registered
708 Posts
nice idea on adding the pinch of bleach...gives it the disinfecting thingy that i need....

Reactions: rebecca and Gibs

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
i also water down anything liquid! to include dish soap..but, to dishsoap i add a pinch of blean and a pinch of vinegar.

i also use 1/2 of required laundry detergent and some borax. i use vinegar as softener in dark clothes and towels and sheets.

i wont give up my venus razor blades! no way no how...lol
Your post made me laugh, my family wondered what in the world I would do with 87 venus razors I got for free a few years ago in my mega coupon spree. Well tada still have tons in my linen closet....lol

Reactions: Gibs

·
Registered
92 Posts
...One thing that i am going to cut back on is no more shaving cream for myself...I can use shampoo and lather it up very well...
I make a bath oil with grapeseed oil and a few drops of essential oil, and after soaking in a tub with that, not only do I get an incredibly close shave (using the Venus razors I got at Costco with a coupon...), but I also don't need to put on body lotion after I dry off....grapeseed oil = shaving cream and body lotion in one!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I wrote up a list of every toiletry

Toilet paper i am being very anal about how much people are using... we use way to much....and we can cut that purchase probably by 25%....
Pun intended? Cause it made me laugh!

I have been making a more conscious effort to turn off lights. I have my electric, water, trash, sewer bill down to $85 and shooting for even lower.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I've always used bar soap for shaving legs and I use hubbys used before razor...always on that one also...I'd kill myself with a sharp one..
I cut back a long time ago on amount of clothes detergent and fabric softener...I bought a gallon size jug of softener about two years ago and after emptied I use a half gallon jug of purex or all softener in the empty gallon and fill not quite full of water.
I use arm & hammer detergent and use about 1/2 the recomended or less.
I use Walmart bags for trash and take them to the trash can in the garage when full...I hate buying/spending money on garbage bags...ugh! HUGE waste....I do have them but only use when have to..
Agree, TP could be cut back by rest of house...man, has it gotten expensive...I've seen some of it close to $10 in the stores for a larger pkg...geesh...talk about money going down the toilet...

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
One thing that we do is stockpiling bars of soap. When bar soap ages it becomes like an everlasting bar of soap. I keep rotating them, putting the newer bars behind the older bars. I use Extra bucks, sales and combine with coupons so the soap is free/or near free.

I've been stockpiling everything I can get free/or near free. Tonight I added 3 pairs of Revlon tweezers.

A couple of weeks ago I put up 28 gluten free cake mixes.

Reactions: HappyMama and Paws

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Hi all, yesterday thanks to this thread I organized my toiletries into decorative hat boxes and labeled them. Just so I could see where I could use some stocking up. Today I'm going to check out the survival thread and stockpile thread to see what all I should be focusing on. I've come to the conclusion that there's a lot more I should be doing than turning off lights. Thanks, all!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
It finally dawned on me that soap is soap so any cheap liquid soap I can find gets put in the hand dispenser. One of these days I will buy another foam hand dispenser. That will even make things cheaper for washing hands.

I love my rags!!!! Whenever I buy new towels the old ones become rags. I no longer buy paper towels. I keep one or two rolls for the whole year. Which I never pay for because of coupons or someone gives me a roll. Oh and the old washcloths become great dustcloths. Just moisten them with some water and the dust gets picked up right away.

The other day I realized I needed some turkey gravy. Forgot to buy some them realized I had all the ingredients in my stockpile to make some. What a relief and money saver!

·
Registered
816 Posts
We put almost everything in our house on strip plugs. When those things aren't in use, we turn the strip plug off. Computers, tv's, appliances (other than the fridge/freezer), basically anything. I am not sure what draws power when it's not on, but I know nothing in my house is drawing power if it needn't be :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.