Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are hoping to relpcae my '01 Town and Country, 130k miles, this year- if we can swing it. No financing, just cash/trade in. Naturally the dang thing has decided to need repairs left and right- just spent $170 replacing broken mirror and one tire, now needs exhaust and rear brakes to the tune of $500+ for inspection. Have $2100 officially saved for new vehicle, could scrape up another few k's if HAD too, but not an ideal solution....just frustrated, feel like dumping almost $700 into a car I hope to be rid of soon is a real kick in the pants when we've been trying so hard to be ready for this and buy the next car with cash only! Crossing my fingers I can get another 6 months- 1 year out of the thing- it's in tough shape!

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Only 130K miles? With the repairs you have done I would suggest you could get another 70K miles out of that EASILY unless it has MAJOR issues such as engine, trans or rear end.

Brakes and exhaust are normal wear and tear so I would not consider those major repairs. I say keep the van and save as long as possible.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should mention- rust becoming an issue, these NH winters are tough on cars, even with frequent washings!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Can't you have some kind of rust proofing treatment applied?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Rust proofing an already rusted car is a waste of money. The damage is already there. If it's just body rust and your state allows it in the inspections, forget about it and run it until it drops. You could get some rustolium (sp?) primer, wire brush the bad spots and paint it to slow it down. The Chrysler products do have a tendency to have the hood rust out first from the inside followed closely by the doors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts