Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and wanted to share the recipe. I don't know what it tastes like cooled, so am only raving about this cake while hot. lol

Here's the recipe:

* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*1 tsp cinnamon
* 3 eggs, beaten
* 3 1/2 cups chopped apples
* 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Glaze:

* 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
* 1/3 cup milk
* 1/2 cup butter

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.

2. In a large bowl, Sift together flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix well (batter will be thick). Fold in chopped apples and nuts if you want nuts. Spread into a 9x13 inch pan.

3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Glaze while still hot.

4. To make the glaze: In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, milk and butter. Bring to a boil and stir constantly for two minutes. Pour over cake while still hot.

This isn't an apple spice cake. This is sorta like a regular cake with apples and a sorta caramel glaze.

The batter is very very thick, but the cake is dense and moist. I poked small holes into my cake and poured the glaze over the top, so it seeped into the holes.

It's delicious.

It's a lot of oil, but I'm sure you could use applesauce in it's place or half oil/half apple sauce.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Very yummy with vanilla ice cream. ;) Kid approved over here. Ally had two pieces.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Oh, I'm so glad you posted a photo. It looks moist and yummy. One of my coworkers thinks she's the queen of apple cake. I'll have to make this so we can have the battle of the apple cakes.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Sara, how did you get my aunt Lola's Apple cake recipe? lol
I make this every fall and my family loves it, especially my dh.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gabe came home from class and loved it. I'm so happy to find a cake recipe he likes and a decent recipe to use apples in. I often purchase them in a bag and sometimes we get through them all and sometimes I'm struggling to find a way to use the leftovers.

I tried it once cooled today and it's just as good. ;) Still yummy a day later. I was concerned the glaze would harden overnight, but it didn't.

·
27,948 Posts
oooh that looks good!Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Thanks Sara. I am always looking for new cake recipes. I can't wait to make this one. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sara,
Thanks for the recipe. I made it for home, but didn't want my husband to eat too much of it so I brought most of it to work. It was a hit!! 3 people got the recipe from me, 2 of them made it over the weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts