Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my utility bill today and it is ridiculous.. I pulled out the bill from this time last year and it was at least $70 less.. I wrote down all the things I have been doing less or not doing anymore this time, than I was doing last year and it shows my bill should be a lot less than it is.. I have been a lot more cautious this year..

I know prices go up every year, this is going beyond..

Example: Doing a lot less laundry, using less hot water, one less person in the home, using the dish washer less, unplugging things, etc.. There is at least 5 more things written down..

Last year I would run the dryer twice just to dry one load, every load, but got a better dryer earlier this year and only have to do it once.. I did anywhere from 2 to 3 loads of laundry every 2 days sometimes 2 in a day, now I am down to doing 5 loads a week.. Dish washer was being used daily sometimes twice a day and running it through rinse cycle twice every time, now I am down to every other day and once through the rinse cycle..

We are on a tight budget with no spare money, so this kills us and our town has no payment plan like the previous cities we've lived in.. We will be disputing it, but as we live in a small town and the city does "no wrong" it's gonna be hard..

Our utility bill includes ~ electric, water, sewer, trash.. Every thing is close to last year except electric, thats what is at least $70 more..

Thank You for letting me vent!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I live in a small town too and electricity is ridiculously high. Our commissioners have voted to also add a $5.00 tax on our meters on top of the electric increases. I hope you can get them do do something.

Reactions: Syn D

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I feel that electric prices have just gone up and up. So if yours bill is only $70 more than you must be doing a good job at conservation of energy. I also understand how frustrating it is to work for something and not seem to see any rewards.

To hugs to you and I say pat yourself on a good job with your energy conversation efforts.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel that electric prices have just gone up and up. So if yours bill is only $70 more than you must be doing a good job at conservation of energy. I also understand how frustrating it is to work for something and not seem to see any rewards.

To hugs to you and I say pat yourself on a good job with your energy conversation efforts.
Thank you!!!

I am also comparing it with last months bill which is almost the same amount as this bill is and on last months bill we had a window a/c running 24/7 for the whole month/time frame and one more person in the home using electric, yet it is almost the same amount as this bill which the a/c wasn't ran once in the time frame...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be very upset! can you find out if they did have a rate increase, when it went into affect and by how much?

Is it a actual reading or an estimate?

that stinks big time!
My hubby doesn't know yet, but after he comes down from going through the roof after he sees it, we will go check in to it Monday..

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Thank you!!!

I am also comparing it with last months bill which is almost the same amount as this bill is and on last months bill we had a window a/c running 24/7 for the whole month/time frame and one more person in the home using electric, yet it is almost the same amount as this bill which the a/c wasn't ran once in the time frame...
For my experience when there is a sudden big drop in usage. The company doesn't trust itself and charges the same or so as the month previously until they can figure things out. Then the fix the bill.

This happened to us with our water bill. We installed lots of water saving stuff. saved 50% on water usage but our bill didn't go down. They can out and replaced the meter found out it was reading right. the next bill be had a credit as we have paid to much before.

Like frugal fun said you can call them ask and say you were wondering because you had worked on reducing energy consummation give examples if you can and that you had expected your bill to go down. I have found that face to face conversations work best for these instead of phone conversations.

Good luck hope you find a answer

Reactions: mauimagic and Syn D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, we will not let this be an over the phone conversation, I have a list for them to try to dispute...

I had no problems that my summer bills were between $250 to $300 (yes, problem with the amount, but was understandable), cos' the a/c was on 24/7, but this bill is for middle Sept. to middle Oct. can't except it being in that same amount range now.. My a/c has been covered sense early Sept., so I know it hasn't been used..

Oh and fyi imagine,, this is how I handle Murphys mood swings, just vent.. ;)

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That sucks! I hope you get it straightened out in your favor!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does your bill state a fuel charge? In my town, the "fuel charge" has gone up over the past year. The fuel charge is a surcharge they charge you to generate electricity.

For us, usage dropped, but the fuel charge increased zeroing out any savings we would have had from reduced usage.

·
19,119 Posts
Venting is good - now go get them on Monday and let us know what happens!!

Reactions: Syn D

·
Registered
669 Posts
i have a second meter for a room that the former owners used to rent out - reall need to get rid of it. Anyway, I got a bill that was larger for a room that was not used than for the rest of the house. Contested it, and they checked and found that the meter was wonky.

But otherwise you end up their hostage. My folks lived in California and the water dept did a huge campaign for conserving water. Well. Everyone did it and did it very well, so that the REVENUES for the water utility dropped to the point that they could not meet their bills, but more importantly, could not guarantee payouts to their shareholders. So the rates almost doubled. I thought my dad would explode....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I grew up in Cali.. Got to say, my utility bills were the lowest I've ever had.. Midwest living is very costly (only comparing summer and fall months)..

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Consider:
1.What were the number of kilowatts used? Did this number change?
2. Do they do a rate change between seasons, such as summer/fall being a different rate than winter?
3. Ask them to do a meter check.

We had such low rates in MO as we belonged to an electric coop. We were an all electric home, no gas used at all, and our bills averaged about $50 a month. Not only that, but we got about $100 back each year as dividends, since in a coop, everyone owns a part of the company.

What a shock to move to Iowa and find electric rates out the waazoo! I share your pain...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.