Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever have a day where you just wanted to go to work? I have been a stay at home mom for sometime now and I am very content doing this as my job but man sometimes I get jeloius of my husband who gets to run out of here in the morning while the kids are all screaming or crying for some nonesense and then the older kids run off to school and I look around at my destroyed house and realize I have to start the cleaning routine....only to have them all come home at night and destroy it again....I feel like I am in that movie groundhog day:bang:

Sometimes i wish i could get all dressed up and go back to work and talk to people who are taller than 2 feet :);) Go out for business lunches and bring home the bacon....but I know this too shall pass.

I love my job it's just so draining sometimes....at jobs outside of the home you get a yearly evaluation that tells you that youa re wonderful.....I want one of those right now LOL :toothy:

·
Registered
117 Posts
;) I know how you feel. I am a SAHM too. I worked up until 5 years ago, and I love being at home, but there are times that I feel exactly like you do! And I am stir crazy today! But to tell you the truth, today it is freezing outside and I am glad that I didn't have to get up early and go out in the cold weather! LOL Felt sorry for my son this morning, was freezing out and very windy too! Poor kid! Hang in there, we all have those kind of days where we feel like nobody notices us or what we do! But your kids will appreciate and realize what you did for them when they grow up! And then it will be "your time" again too! :)

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
:hugz: I used to feel the same way you do. Raising a family and keeping a home is the hardest job there is. There is no moneytary pay, no "sick" or "vactaion" days and it does seem like you are living in a rerun of Groundhog Day over and over again. However, this is the most important job you will ever have! You are raising your children and being there for them. Just think of all those kids who come home to an empty home each day without anyone to greet them, talk their day through and help them with their homework. As a former latchkey kid myself, former full time work outside the home mom and now a homeschooling working part time outside the home mom, let me tell you that your kids are benifiting so much from you being there. Never forget the importance of what you are doing.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I sometimes miss the goal setting and accomplishment of my career. It's very different at home. I get that groundhog day feeling. There are times I swear if I have to prepare chicken one more time I'll go crazy.

The thing is that I am so happy that I am able to be home. I know in my heart of hearts that I couldn't do both my career and be the type of mom I want to be. I admire women that find that balance and have chosen careers that make it all work. It wasn't like that for me. My career required way too much time that I prefer devoting to my family.

I do think it's wonderful that some women are able to show their kids that they are able to be career women and moms. It works for tons of women.

The money aspect of it is a tough thing for me. There are so many things I know we could provide for our children if I were working, but I think about the things I loved best about my own childhood and none of those money-related things are cherished.

These are the best days of our lives. Right now. Some days are mundane and some days aren't.

We're having chicken tonight. *sigh* But, I can't imagine taking on what I currently do and then adding a career to it. The tradeoff isn't worth it to me.

I watch my husband go to work daily and I don't know how he's able to be a great dad, husband, student, AND a good employee. When he has work-related stress, I feel horrible. I don't miss that one bit.

I definitely relate to the house looking like a train wreck. I like things tidy and it is work to have a system to keep it looking decent. It's a tough pill for me to swallow that I wouldn't take a cleaning job for minimum wage (not because it's beneath me, but because I couldn't afford to), but I work for free doing it now. lol Well, not really but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

Being a SAHM isn't easy at all.

I know what really helps me is making sure I take time for myself. I go out on Saturdays for a couple of hours alone. It keeps me energized.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
What I miss the most is what you mentioned. That is being able to talk to other people rather than those who are under 2 ft. tall or to the walls.

I'm happy though that I chose to stay at home with my younger kids. Although there have been more sacrifices on my part than on dh's, its been well worth it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I quit my job to stay home a little over a year ago, and I tell you I miss it soooo bad!!! I get bored easy. I mean, you can only clean the house so many times. lol This is the reason I'm going back to school this fall-to feel as if I'm accomplishing something for myself. kwim?

BTW, that's why I am SO glad that I found Frugal Village. This place really gives me an outlet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I love being a SAHM but occassionally it would be nice to go to the potty by myself, uninteruppted. No one at work ever yelled through the restroom door to ask me what I was doing!:curtain: It would also be nice to be able to start a task and finish it without interuptions.....like that really happened when I worked;) .

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can definitely relate to that Groundhog Day feeling :)

I have been a SAHM throughout graduate school (taking classes once or twice a week, mostly) and now that I'm not taking classes anymore the days do seem to run together sometimes. I have to be very careful not to go shopping "for household items" as entertainment. That's probably my biggest struggle. Trying to make sure that I have a little time here and there for my hobbies (writing, geneaolgy) helps a lot, because making progress on a novel makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something!

On the other hand, last year when I was commuting an hour and a half to school and basically didn't see DD at all three days a week, she and I were both miserable. She would beg me to let her stay home sick so she could spend time with me :( .

Marcella

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Once I felt like that several years ago and so I went back to work full time. I was never so happy as the day I got laid off:eek:

I would not trade for anything in the world. Of course my kids are gone all day and I do work a few hours a month so maybe I get the best of both worlds.:D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I certainly know how you feel!!

There are days, especially when the kids are on vacation or something, that I envie dh for being able to leave for the day!
I even have found myself being angry about it, but then I stop and calm down.
I also love being a SAHM, but there are definitley "those" days!! LOL

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
It gets sooo much easier as the kids get a little older.

For example, today:

Came back from my walk; oldest was awake; DH was almost ready to leave. Oldest helped me make a Waldorf salad; then she surfed. Then she played while I surfed. I started the crockpot.

2nd child woke up late. After hugs and kisses, she ate her breakfast. I did a few chores, then captured DD#1 for math. Then did lang arts and math w/ 2nd child; folded laundry.

It's 1 pm -- the kitchen counters are wiped; the laundry is done; most of the kids' seatwork is done. They're playing outside while I eat lunch at the computer. We'll do chores and finish school this afternoon. I have vacuuming; decluttering; and sewing scout badges to do.

Yes, it gets so much easier!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
"Being a SAHM isn't easy at all."
That just says it all, doesn't it? I have felt the same way so many times over the years, but in the end I am still so grateful and happy that I can be a SAHM. Here's a :hug2: for you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm also a SAHM of two toddlers. I was a latchkey kid growing up. That is why I am choosing to be a sahm now. I had some bad experiences growing up that influence my decision. My dad died when I was 11, and my mom worked hard to support me and my sisters. I was left to care for my sisters after school and during the summer. I was a good kid, but when you are left alone trouble seems to come knocking. Another reason for my decision, I remember when my mom would be laid off or home for some reason........Walking into our home with her there, supper on the stove, a clean house it was a wonderful feeling!!! Compared to coming home to an empty house... I am fortunate that my husband has a good career that I am able to be a sahm. It would be nice to have the extra income but we get by. I am going to school at night finishing my degree in education. So that when the kids start school, I'll be able to start my career. I hope to work in the same school district where they attend so we can ride to and from school together. I really love staying home at this point in my life. I am never bored! I do get tired of cleaning the same stuff over and over and over, but I have found that since I've decluttered a little, things aren't as messy and it takes no time to straighten up. This website has been a true inspiration to me. I'm so glad I found it! Moms are extraordinary women, whether stay at home or working.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Ground Hog Day reruns...do I know that feeling! January and February are like that here...Most know I work part time K-mart...From Oct. to Dec. it's nuts. The rest of the year, I work 12- 16 hrs aweek.

I like being home with the kids and I still get out a couple of days aweek. I wish I could have done this when they were babies, but at that point I was a single Mom working 40 -56 hrs aweek. I missed alot and envy anyone who gets the chance to be a full time SAHM!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I know how you feel! There are many days I think that it would just be easier to drop one off at school and one at daycare and head to a job talking to adults and getting rewarded with money. And then I get a hug from my 2 year old, or my 6 year old tells me how much she appreciates something I did for her. It IS tough, it is the toughest job in the world to be a SAHM. Society barely acknowldeges our existence, and support is hard to find. But, I know this is God's will for my life, so I take comfort in that, and sometimes just have to take a deep breath and not look down at the messes!

HUGS!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I know just how you feel. I think you need Calgon to take you away! :bath: Dh and I have set up in the budget for each of us to take $50 and one day to ourselves each month. We can do whatever we want, but our rule is we can't get anything for anyone else. It has to be spent on us. Dh likes to go to the movies and I like to go hang out and check the clearance racks at the mall, the half-price bookstore, and eat a nice dinner out. Maybe something like that would help?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone for your responses. I had been feeling better then was having another day today and to my surprise this thread got bumped up and reminded me that I am not alone. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I want to thank you all for this thread I had one of those days today

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am a SAHM also and I seem to have a lot of the ground hog day a lot lately. Sometimes I just don't want to get up in the morning but I do and once my child is at school my husband is sleeping. This is quite time for me but the problem is I want to get my house work done in the morning then relax in the afternoon but not able to because husband works nights and sleeps part of the day away. My days seem to run into each other a lot when my child is on vacation. I love my job but it can be tiring when all you have is a neighborhood of kids to talk to and no adult conversation. I need that a lot. I am also happy you all are here to help me to get through the days. Hope everyone is finding time for them selves and enjoying it.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts