Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on the DR plan, but have never agreed with the $1k clunker- where I'm from, a $1k car will be costing you another $500 a month in repairs, easy. Time to get rid of my '01, which at 132,000 miles is beginning to need extensive work, and we recently figured out we've been spending maybe $1500 a year the last few repairing things, but the repairs are just getting bigger, and more frequent, so we decided it had to go. Recently found out it needs a new cat. convert.

Have been planning and saving, planning and saving, all this year, knew we needed another mini van. Found an '03 Pontiac Montana in great shape, only 72k on it.....long story short, we are paying $3500 cash and trading in my current clunker for it! Yes, I spent the $100 to have a mechanic of my choosing check it out- needs fluids changed, will need struts soon, but mechanically sound. the book value is $6-7k, we're really getting a deal here.

Just had to share- I am VERY proud of hubby and I- while we have good credit and could run out and take out $10k for a vehicle, I am determined to get, and stay, off the loan round about! We planned ahead for this, saved, and I am also proud of ME for finding this car and setting it up and checking it out- without hubby! Great find, great price, it's ours, all ours, the minute I sign those papers, without a cent owed to anyone for it- YAY!

Now to just beat his car loan off into oblivion...working on it, but this is the first step to getting out of the car loan cycle!

·
19,119 Posts
Very impressive work there khaski!!....and you did it all yourself - congrats!!

Reactions: khaski

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Way to go!!! I have a hard time agreeing with the clunker, to a point as well. I think it is necessary if you are paying off debt and such, but also DH has had many clunkers in his life and they have always costed us SO much money we might as well of paid a monthly payment, but yours sounds great!!!!!

·
27,948 Posts
Hope it gives you many years of trouble free service. :tay:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts