Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the day after the Superbowl just about every school in this area was closed because of the cold, it was 1 degree. Today it was -3 degrees this morning and just about every school had school. How come it wasn't too cold today?

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Perhaps the schools have used up too many school days? I can't imagine it being - 3 degrees. That is just too cold for this southern born girl.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps the schools have used up too many school days? I can't imagine it being - 3 degrees. That is just too cold for this southern born girl.
This northern boy can't imagine being in a hurricane.:thunder:

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
It's been pretty snowy up near you...I wouldn't be surprised if you hadn't used all of your days, and therefore, closing school isn't really a choice, or else they have to tack more days onto the end of the year.

Or, maybe your thermometer is broken and it was really 80 degrees and sunny!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey... I don't know why they changed their minds, but like the others said, most likely they used up their snow days. Or perhaps that day it was 1 degree there were other factors - bad roads or something. Who Knows?

On another note, from the perspective of a northern girl (up here in North Dakota), 1 degree or even -3 degrees is warm! :) We've been in the -20's over night and during the days (sometimes even colder) for weeks now... when it's that cold for that long, even -3 feels like a heat wave! Today it's supposed to get up in the 20's above zero and that is quite a heat wave! If our school's closed because of those temps, no one would ever go to school. :) It's all relative though, when I was abroad last year it stayed around freezing, but that felt really cold to me because that's what I was used to. Just this year I'm used to something different, so it makes me smile to hear someone say around 0 is cold, when I would love to just be around 0!

:)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Aound here it depends on a few things. Road conditions, wind chill and if it is dangerous, and whether or not the kids will be safe. That is the big thing here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Probably ran out of snow days. I know we're 1 away from them having to go to school during spring break. Then again thats because we got 12 feet in roughly a week, lol.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I think you guys and gals missed a key point of the original post...
"On the day after the Superbowl just about every school in this area was closed..."
They can't exactly call off school due to hangovers can they? :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts