Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alternator also took our battery to the grave, however, the former owner had the receipt for the battery that was in there and it had a guarantee on it. The battery had been in there for years, but we still got $15 for it plus the $15 core, so $30 off the next battery.

KEEP RECORDS. Many car parts have lifetime warranties or other goodies that come with them. It will also help you in keeping a maintenance schedule for your vehicle, since you know what was replaced when. When you sell the car, a buyer will probably be more interested in a car that was taken care of with written proof and receipts. I know I won`t buy cars without records. That is a snake pit I don`t want to deal with.

·
27,948 Posts
Good advise! Glad you had all the paperwork. We too keep records & receipts, you never know when this info might come in handy. We're the kind of people that have manuals (receipt stapled to booklet) to all our appliances & stuff in a file cabinet in alphabetical order too, lol. Once again you never know and boy is it nice to just be able to put your hands on what you want.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Definitely keep all records and receipts. As I said in another thread:

We've got a 4-drawer file cabinet. My wife and I each have our own drawer, plus a "joint" drawer. Each vehicle has it's own folder. Whenever I buy something for the car (oil, starter, wipers, tires etc.), I just throw the receipt into the folder. You could go one step further, and just buy a small little notebook, and annotate the date & mileage any time you change the oil, or do any maintenance on it. Even though it may not be serviced by a "professional garage", you will have valid proof with receipts that you have been maintaining the vehicle all along. Having these records will help greatly with resale as well, gives the buyer a warm fuzzy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts