Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO just brought home a Kenmore Save a Meal. This is the machine that vacuum seals the food. We have tried it on all the meats we could find in the house. Seems to work really easy. This will save us money since less food will be wasted. SO will not eat things that have freezer ice on them. Does anyone have one or something similar? What do you like or dislike about it? What foods work the best and what doesn't work at all? We have lots of fruit on the trees and want to try freezing it this way but don't know how it will really work. Any thoughts?

pat

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i have a food saver and loveit..there are only 3 of us here and i like to shop in bulk..this allows me to save items in smaller portions and not have it get burned..

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Good for you! I LOVE my FoodSaver. You might find it easier to freeze some of the juicier stuff before you seal it. It will suck the juice right out of the food and not seal properly. Also when I do a roast or something that is already the right size from the store, I poke holes in the saran wrap with a fork then seal it so I can still see the label.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Good for you! I LOVE my FoodSaver. You might find it easier to freeze some of the juicier stuff before you seal it. It will suck the juice right out of the food and not seal properly. Also when I do a roast or something that is already the right size from the store, I poke holes in the saran wrap with a fork then seal it so I can still see the label.
Both good ideas, thanks Karen! :)

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
They are great but the bags are costly, reuse them when you can.....

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
The only thing that I hate is the cost of the replacement bags. I have used and reused all my bags to death. But I can say that I love my food saver.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I did figure that the bags would be the costlier end of it, but plan on reusing them all that I can. Thanks for the other tips. SO is cooking chicken tonight and is doing enough for leftovers. This is his favorite new toy. Has anyone done fresh fruit with theirs? Our cherries will be ripe this week:) :)

pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts