Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering going to Kentucky next year for our vacation. The only problem is I know nothing about the state (one of the reasons it is on the list of possibilities) and I have ordered the tourism guide. I would love to hear from anyone who lives there or visited the state on some suggested places to stay and go.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you are in to yard sales the best time to come to KY in the first weekend in October. We have something we call Roller Coaster Fair. It is miles and miles of yard sales that run through KY to Tn. Around where I live there is Mammoth Cave if you like nature and if you are into cars you could visit the corvette musieum(sp?) in Bowling Green KY. I would check out tourism guide though.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I used to live in Kentucky, and I love Lexington. It is so beautiful with a lot of estates where they raise thoroughbred horses. It is very scenic and enjoyable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you are in to yard sales the best time to come to KY in the first weekend in October. We have something we call Roller Coaster Fair. It is miles and miles of yard sales that run through KY to Tn. Around where I live there is Mammoth Cave if you like nature and if you are into cars you could visit the corvette musieum(sp?) in Bowling Green KY. I would check out tourism guide though.
:teddy2: looks like we are very close to each other!!!!
Mammoth Cave is great! Dont forget all the lakes in our area you can camp/ fish and boating, jetski all available
for rent .

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Mammoth Cave is a must and allow at least 2 or 3 days to do all the different things there are to do. Then don't miss the Daniel Boone locations and Lincoln's birth place. Also the Shaker Village is a good day visit. Enjoy the back roads at an easy pace because their are many Old Order Amish and Mennonite Communites you may happen upon a buggy or two. In the spring and summer farmers markets and flea markets are a blast. We have also visited a number of wineries. Factory tours like the one at the Covettee plant and Mayfield Dairy are a don't miss if you've got kids.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
674 Posts
Don't forget to visit us here in Louisville, too! We have an amusement park (Six Flags), the zoo, the Louisville Slugger museum, etc. Check out the state website and maybe you can find things to do on there! There is also the state capitol of Frankfort that is lovely and has tons of beautiful historic buildings. There are tons of things to do here in Kentucky!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also check out Buckhorn Lake. It is in eastern KY. They have a nice lodge there and beautiful natural scenery.

Buckhorn lake is beautiful. The Hotel is on the lake. They also have cabins. Not really sure what else they have as we were only there for a family reunion.

The caves are great. When we went you almost had to have a reservation to get to go through them as they were always packed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts