Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make these all the time, never a complaint on "Fake" take out night. Great way to stretch out the meat, 1 chicken breast is all you need.

Layer 4 bowls with

Homemade Mashed Potato Recipe (I double recipe, as written this is just 1 recipe)

3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and quartered; 1 or 2 quart sauce pan with lid; small sauce pan, 1/4 cup whole milk, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper; pinch of salt; food mill or sieve; large mixing bowl.

Cooking Instructions:

1. Using a vegetable brush, scrub potatoes under running cold water. Pat potatoes dry with paper towels after a thorough washing.

2. In a sauce pan, bring 2 to 4 cups of water to boil. Add potatoes, cover with lid and boil until tender, about 20 minutes.

3. Just before potatoes are done. Add milk to separate small sauce pan and heat over medium heat, don’t bring to boil.

4. Now that potatoes are tender, remove from heat and drain water into sink. With potatoes still in sauce pan shake the pan over low heat for several minutes until the potatoes are dry. This is to remove most of the water before adding milk.

5. Add pepper and salt. Then add milk a little at a time, beating mashed potatoes after each addition, until fluffy.

-Then a layer of corn

-Then a layer of popcorn chicken

Popcorn Chicken ( I halve the recipe, as written it is the full recipe)

Things You'll Need:
1 cup milk
1 T vinegar
I use a homemade cultured buttermilk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 t salt
1 t pepper
1 t paprika
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1 t garlic salt
1 t onion powder
2 or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
oil

BUTTERMILK -- Making homemade popcorn chicken begins with buttermilk. Make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1 cup of milk. Set aside. I use homemade cultured buttermilk recipe

MAKE SEASONED FLOUR MIXTURE -- Next you need to make the breading for your popcorn chicken. Mix together flour and all spices. Set aside.

CUT CHICKEN -- This is the kid friendly part. Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. A 1 inch square is about right. I make them much smaller, it goes further

COAT CHICKEN -- Dip chicken into milk and then dredge in flour mixture. I find it easiest to drop a handful into the milk and then add all the pieces into the flour, using a spoon to stir the chicken and coat it. Using a small, deep container for the flour works well. At this point I dry off my chicken pieces in fridge, so the breading sticks really well. About 2-3 hours

FRY CHICKEN -- Fry the chicken in hot oil until light brown and crispy. As soon as the first batch of popcorn chicken is cool enough to taste, do so. Season your homemade popcorn chicken to your own tastes. If you like more salt, sprinkle salt lightly on cooked chicken before it cools so that the salt will stick to it

After this your supposed to put a layer of cheese on it, but we don't like it with cheese.

-a layer of country gravy

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups milk
DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Gradually stir in milk so that no lumps form, and continue cooking and stirring until thickened. If the gravy becomes too thick, you may thin it with a little more milk.

Stick a biscuit on the side

KFC Biscuits

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 dash salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup buttermilk

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in the buttermilk. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 2 minutes. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet, roll into a 6x6 inch square, and cut into 12 even sections. Do not separate.
3. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center of the square comes out clean. Separate into biscuits, and serve hot.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
sounds delish!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.