Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds#2 (Michael - Down syndrome) is up for sale, cheap!!! Grrrrrr.

He is in my bad books right now and he knows it. He just keeps messing in his pants, laughs about it and knows it irks me. I'm at my wit's end in knowing how to train this kid to use the bathroom. (I've been walking away without saying a word, but its very hard to not say anything!!!)

Its so frustrating!!! Dh says "will you be doing this when your 40?" Today, I'm beginning to think he will. :(

Any suggestions????

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
No suggestions CJ, just a hug and want to thell you to hang in there.

·
27,948 Posts
I'm gonna say bribe him. I know that may not be the right answer but I though I'd throw it out there.If you bribe him & it works, you'll both get what you want. Big hug to you CJ.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Oh CJ, I'm sending you lots of (((HUGS))) right now. You are the most patient woman, you really are. I agree with Darlene. Is there something that you know means so much to him that if taken away he would be VERY upset or does that matter to him. Or a special outing that he loves that he could work towards.

I should ask though, does he do this all the time or does he do well sometimes and then slack off?

:hugz:

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
Let's not call it a bribe-how about a token economy reward system? How does he do with charts--make a potty chart, give him a smiley face or a sticker to put on each time he goes appropriately, then at the end of the week he cashes in those for a reward--5 stickers= a favorite snack, 10= renting his fave movie, 15= a new cd etc. Modify it to fit his functioning level/ interests. Generally this will help encourage him to form better habits, exstinguishing the ones you don't like while providing positive reinforcement. Reward the good behavior rather than punishing the bad. After a few succesful weeks you can modify the system where he can lose points for accidents, or not helping with the clean-up of them etc.
Now you all know what I do when I step out of the village.:D

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh how I wish he understood rewards or bribes - he doesn't. Thats why this is so frustrating.

Heather, he does this all the time, again why it is so frustrating.

Today just got the better of me!!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
calico said:
:hugz: X 100 my friend!
And again from me - you have the patience of a saint! I thought the star chart was a good idea - but obviously not if he doesn't understand it.

I take it you've already explained that it makes you very upset and disappointed with him etc etc ???

I'm thinking of you - really. (((C.J.))))

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
CJ, try making him clean the mess........

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
I'm going to do some research with what I have at work--what is his current functioning level-emotionally and scholastically? I have a few curriculums in my office, I'll see what I can dig up. Til then, don't kill him;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts