Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have to tell my recent adventure in the hospital with kidney stones.

The story started last Tuesday evening. After eating dinner I was hit with this terrible pain and the sensation to go from both ends (I know TMI) It hit so hard and fast it scared me. I was thinking it was the stomach flu or something I ate was bad. My dh didn't feel good the night before.

I went from Tues thru Sat in pain and just feeling bad. Finally on Sat my bff (dh was working) took me to an Urgent care office. The Dr there thought I might have diverticulitus and needed to have a CT done because if it was infected I would need surgery.

The hospital is just across the street so off we went. I could not sit, stand or lay down with any relief. It didn't talk that long to get into the actual ER and get a bed.

Here is where the fun starts!!!! I was placed in a room right in front of the nurses station and doctors. They completely ignored me for over an hour. No one even can in to say they were busy anything. The curtain was open so I could see what was going on out there. People just chatting away. They literally would not even look my way. Finally I was thinking I was going to have to go out in the parking lot and call an ambulance and take me to a different hospital.

I know they take people in the worse shape first, but geez I was losing control the pain was so bad. My bff finally went out to see how long it might be and they just huffed "she's next". Finally when someone came they gave me morphine twice while waiting to get the scan done. The morphine didn't even cut the pain for very long.

Mind you I had already been in pain for 5 days. I ended up having kidney stones. Once they admitted me into the hospital there were a few nice nurses and one really nice doctor. They changed the pain meds from morphine to dilaudid and I could only get it every 4 hours. Sometimes I could find a position and I could be pain free for longer than that. One night close to a shift change I had asked for my meds and by the time the new nurse came I was resting with little pain so I told her that at the moment I didn't need it. Well she got so huffy and says "well if you don't want it I will just throw it out! She said it so mean. Then she was all in arms because my IV line was beeping and she was like are you supposed to still be on these fluids blah, blah,. Well she is the nurse she should know not me. I burst into tears. My dh came shortly afterwards. Oh, I just told her to give me the meds. T

The male nurse during the day was very nice when he put the meds through the IV line. he did it slowly so it would not just shock my system all at once. It is still a wierd feeling, but easier if given slowly. Well nurse wratchet just pushed the stuff in fast as can be. I could not barely breath, I was sweating. Needless to say I did not ask for anything the whole night.

From Sat to Mon they forgot to call the urologist to come see me. Finally Mon night one came in. Tuesday after the procedure to put a stent or shunt in to open my Kidney area the pressure in my bladder was terrible. This same nurse was on duty that night. Yippy. After sitting on the pot for 7 hours. (I felt like I had to go constantly.) I buzzed for the nurse. I was on the verge of losing it. She comes in and after I told her I could barely take anymore. She says "well what do you want me to do about it? She is the da m nurse!!! I told her intellectually I understood WHY I was in pain, it was just that emotionally after 7 days I was at the end of my rope. I needed something. She looked at me like I had three heads. Finally all I could think of was the pain meds. So that is what I asked for.

I will never go back to that hospital again. I know every one says bad things and good things about all hospitals, but this was over the line. Every Step of the way I felt passed over. Sure there were a few very nice people, but they did not make up for the bad that happened.

What have others experienced?

Has anyone had kidney stones before? Mine is 7mm and there is no way I will pass it on my own. I go monday to have it taken care of.

thanks for letting me rant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The first thing I would do is report the nasty nurse to the hospital administator. My aunt has suffered with kidney stones for years. She had some crushed last week. She is doing ok. They put her to sleep to do it because it can be a painful experience. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first thing I would do is report the nasty nurse to the hospital administator. My aunt has suffered with kidney stones for years. She had some crushed last week. She is doing ok. They put her to sleep to do it because it can be a painful experience. Good luck.
Yes they will be putting me out too.

After all this is done and I am back to normal you can be sure I am going to be writing a letter!!

I was not a difficult patient at all. Barely made any demands on the nurses just when I need my pain meds. I would just press the call button and ask. I didn't have them running around having them get me stuff. She just should not be in the business of helping people at their worst times.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've had them and passed them and they are awful. Worse than giving birth for sure. That is terrible the way they treated you. The pain of stones are horrible. I would definately complain to the hospital administrators and tell them every thing you wrote here. No one should be treated like that.

I was with my mil when she had stones crushed. My mom has had it done too. You'll get a lot of reliefe once its done.

Thoughts and prayers everything goes well and you don't have to worry about his anymore.

Reactions: jas

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Jas, I'm sorry. That is horrible...you shouldn't have to ask nurses to do their job....hugs..... you are ever so much nicer than I...I would have lost my temper.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I have to tell my recent adventure in the hospital with kidney stones.

The story started last Tuesday evening. After eating dinner I was hit with this terrible pain and the sensation to go from both ends (I know TMI) It hit so hard and fast it scared me. I was thinking it was the stomach flu or something I ate was bad. My dh didn't feel good the night before.

I went from Tues thru Sat in pain and just feeling bad. Finally on Sat my bff (dh was working) took me to an Urgent care office. The Dr there thought I might have diverticulitus and needed to have a CT done because if it was infected I would need surgery.

The hospital is just across the street so off we went. I could not sit, stand or lay down with any relief. It didn't talk that long to get into the actual ER and get a bed.

Here is where the fun starts!!!! I was placed in a room right in front of the nurses station and doctors. They completely ignored me for over an hour. No one even can in to say they were busy anything. The curtain was open so I could see what was going on out there. People just chatting away. They literally would not even look my way. Finally I was thinking I was going to have to go out in the parking lot and call an ambulance and take me to a different hospital.

I know they take people in the worse shape first, but geez I was losing control the pain was so bad. My bff finally went out to see how long it might be and they just huffed "she's next". Finally when someone came they gave me morphine twice while waiting to get the scan done. The morphine didn't even cut the pain for very long.

Mind you I had already been in pain for 5 days. I ended up having kidney stones. Once they admitted me into the hospital there were a few nice nurses and one really nice doctor. They changed the pain meds from morphine to dilaudid and I could only get it every 4 hours. Sometimes I could find a position and I could be pain free for longer than that. One night close to a shift change I had asked for my meds and by the time the new nurse came I was resting with little pain so I told her that at the moment I didn't need it. Well she got so huffy and says "well if you don't want it I will just throw it out! She said it so mean. Then she was all in arms because my IV line was beeping and she was like are you supposed to still be on these fluids blah, blah,. Well she is the nurse she should know not me. I burst into tears. My dh came shortly afterwards. Oh, I just told her to give me the meds. T

The male nurse during the day was very nice when he put the meds through the IV line. he did it slowly so it would not just shock my system all at once. It is still a wierd feeling, but easier if given slowly. Well nurse wratchet just pushed the stuff in fast as can be. I could not barely breath, I was sweating. Needless to say I did not ask for anything the whole night.

From Sat to Mon they forgot to call the urologist to come see me. Finally Mon night one came in. Tuesday after the procedure to put a stent or shunt in to open my Kidney area the pressure in my bladder was terrible. This same nurse was on duty that night. Yippy. After sitting on the pot for 7 hours. (I felt like I had to go constantly.) I buzzed for the nurse. I was on the verge of losing it. She comes in and after I told her I could barely take anymore. She says "well what do you want me to do about it? She is the da m nurse!!! I told her intellectually I understood WHY I was in pain, it was just that emotionally after 7 days I was at the end of my rope. I needed something. She looked at me like I had three heads. Finally all I could think of was the pain meds. So that is what I asked for.

I will never go back to that hospital again. I know every one says bad things and good things about all hospitals, but this was over the line. Every Step of the way I felt passed over. Sure there were a few very nice people, but they did not make up for the bad that happened.

What have others experienced?

Has anyone had kidney stones before? Mine is 7mm and there is no way I will pass it on my own. I go monday to have it taken care of.

thanks for letting me rant.
That is soooooo awful what you had to go through. I definately agree you need to report that nurse. There is no excuse for her. I had a kidney transplant and I got ignored the most when I was in ICU. Isn't that sad. When I got to the transplant floor they were wonderful.

AND Please, please do not wait to go to the hospital for such a looong time when you are in pain. We wouldn't want it to cost you your life.

Pam:hug2:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I say write everything down while it's fresh in your mind and you can remember every detail. Don't send it, just keep a log so when you go to write your official letter you'll have your stuff in a row. I am sorry this happened to you and there is no excuse for it! Also, LOTS of watermelon will help with kidney stones for future reference. Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You really need to report her, and you dont remember her name let the nursing supervisor know what shift it was on. I had to report a cna a few weeks go when i was in the hospital , she had perfume on so strong, it made me so sick, i told the nurse she let the cna know not to come back in my room, the next day she was back with the same smell, ya know someone could have asthma and that could have set them off. So last day the head suprvisor came in and reported to her.

I heard stone can be very painful and make you very sick, this all will be over soon.. I will be praying for you.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My hubby just had a 4 cm kidney stone about two weeks ago and he was in so much pain, he went to the er.
I would also write that letter. There is no sense in her acting like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Make a report, use their names, be specific, CC to as high up as you can go, CC it to the nursing board, if it is a religious hospital, CC it to whatever religious board governs them. Also, CC it to the newspaper, TV stations, and radio talk show. I had a similar situation with my now deceased grandfather. You will have to be the squeaky wheel but when you send the letter, make sure that all have the other places that you send them. It will get attention. You could really, really prevent someone else from being treated this horrible way.

I hope you feel better soon.
Lisa

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your encouragement! That is a great idea to write it down now while it is fresh.

I do remember her first name, there was a white board they would put who was the nurse and who was the aide each day and each shift.

The reason it took so long for me to go was on Monday night my husband ate something that didn't agree with him and he felt really bad just through the night. So when this hit me the next night I thought that was what it was. The pain at first was in the front left side, it never dawned on me it was my kidney. Once in the ER my pain then concentrated to the back. It was back labor all over again!!!

People please do whatever you can to prevent or get rid of them it is just the most painful thing to go through.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had 13 stones at one time. They said that it was because I drank so much milk and they were calcified. I had some crushed and passed a few but there is one they couldn't get and it comes back now and again when it moves. I ended up with an ambulance ride to the hospital. They forgot to lock the guerney so when they went around the turn so did I. Got to the hospital and got Demerol until the urinologist came. I spent one night in the hopital whith a stint. The thing came loose and moved so I had no control. I buzzed the nurse and buzzed and buzzed all night. Nobody came. When the dr. came in the next morning he asked why I hadn't called the nurse. I could see her sitting at the desk and there wasn't a soul around.He wasn't happy when I told him I did. Needless to say the hospital got an earful and I haven't seen her since. To make matters worse I went to school with her.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm a nurse and I can honestly say that some of us work very hard to make sure our patients are comfortable. But, like with every job, there are some people who don't work as hard. My hospital does follow up phone calls after discharge regarding patient satisfaction and we're held accountable. The nurse may have just been having a bad night, but she needs to be held accountable for her behavior. Just one person with a bad attitude makes us all look bad!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts