Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to stray from the main topic of the Duggars...lol

My kids would like to have allowances. We've tried in the past and it's been a battle. My eldest some times earns extra money, but hasn't lately because it's a battle all the time.

But they have approached us collectively to be given tasks to earn some spending money. DS is 14 and does need some pocket money, so that he isn't tempted to get into trouble. DD is 11 in a few days and is approaching the same age. I remember being that age and never having money, couldn't grab a slushie with friends from the corner store. I don't want my kids to feel that way, but I don't believe I'm an ATM either. They need to earn it.

So I'm trying to make a list of expectations. Certain things I won't pay them for. They are responsible for their rooms. Period. Their school bags. There are things that need to be done as it is theirs and I don't have time to track everything non stop. But if they don't care for those things, it'll be deducted from what they do earn. So that leaves a list of things that they can do to earn.

What has worked for you and your kids? What little tricks have made it easy to do? I realize there's alot of onus on mom to make sure things are actually done and not just said to be done or rushed through carelessly.

Please, for those of you who DON'T believe in allowances, please refrain from comment, that won't help what we're trying to accomplish. I want this to remain a positive thread. I already know there are downsides, so I dont need more feedback on it.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
You are right kids do need spending money and it is definitely better if they have to earn it in some fashion. I have read articles that say $1.00 for each year they are old per week, but I would suppose that would depend on the area you live in, ect.

Could you set up a chore system where each chore is worth X amount of money and then alternate who gets to do what. You could keep track on a chart and at the end of the week tally it up.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My husbands son is 14 and gets a set amount from HIS mother ( not me as he does not live here) and... he works for his money in cutting grass for people and other yardwork. He says he can't wait until he's 16 and can get a real job.

All kids are different and its more important to be teaching the work ethic and responsibilities than just giving them pocket change... some kids are lazier and some more energentic, some need more lessons than others as to learn responsibility........... as that is the real name of that game ( allowence= teaching responsibility)... some kids would get far more if they are far more responsible and do a good job without you having to hound them.
Giving them money just so they have pocket change? I dont think so.. as they have to earn money.... not be given it for no reason.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
We have a 14 year old DD and a 12 year old DS. Both of the kids have jobs both in the home and away from the home to earn their money. First, they are responsible for their rooms, the care of the pets, all dishes, all trash/recycle, folding/hanging all clean clothes, and ironing their own clothes. They each also must help their dad do the pool maintenance and with the yard work. They get an allowance ($20)every two weeks for doing their regular chores.

DH has gotten a few yards around our city that he and the kids cut/edge/blow/etc every two weeks. Each kid gets paid a portion for each yard cut. DH charges the clients $40 per yard and pays each child $7.50 per yard. DH really does not make any money off the yards since he pays for all gas/oil for the equipment, all of the gas to take them to do each yard and he paid a good amount for the lawn equipment itself. They also scoop poop for a neighbor. Each child gets $5 a week for that.

I really don't have any "tricks" to get them to do their chores. The kids go out every Friday night with their friends. They know before they can go out all chores must be done. If the chores are not done, they don't go. No questions asked. If they have neglected their chores through the week, they don't go out. Getting them to do their chores has not been too difficult since neither one wants to be at home on a Friday night while the other is out with their friends having a good time.

The place they go to every Friday runs them in the $20 range. They have to pay for that out of their own money. I won't pay for it because they did not do their chores and are broke as a result. Just another motivating factor for them to do their chores. I will loan them the money sometimes, depending on the circumstances around them not having enough cash to go.

Another motivation for them is their cell phones. They have to pay the monthly fee for them. So, no work means no money; no money means no phone; no phone means no social life (*gasp* oh can you imagine the horror - LOL).

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Here my kids are 9 and 5. They know that if they help out WITHOUT me telling them or asking them to that I will give them something. Its not a set amount anymore as they have stopped doing alot without me telling. If we are done with dinner and they go run off to play, and I am in there cleaning my myself I wont pay them but I will say tyler come load dishwasher, and alexis clear table. They know things like that they wont get paid for.

Good luck. I will be interested to read this thread, as Im sure as kids get older it will differ from what I am doing now.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
This is something that we've struggled with, and it's a process that we're working on.

My kids don't have that many chores, but they know that if they haven't done them to our satisfaction, without nagging, that they won't be paid.

In fact, we took it away completely for a couple of months not too long ago.

Anyway, they are responsible for doing whatever we ask them to do as far as helping around the house (without any complaining). Each month they rotate the cat chores. One is responsible for feeding and watering, and the other is responsible for the liter box. They are also responsible for setting & clearing the table (they usually do both together).

In the summer time they are responsible for emptying & loading the dishwasher and sweeping, as well as a few other chores (because they don't have homework, and they are home all the time and therefore make more of a mess ;)).

We pay them each $7/week, and $2 must be put into savings. They buy their own treats/toys/whatever with the remaining $5. Oh, and my kids are 10 (will be 11 in 3 mos) and 8.

As I said earlier, it's not a perfect process, but we are working on it. :)

HTH :)

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We have a chore board. I mark off what chores need done that day. They get a (poker) chip a chore. Well, there are a few chores that are more than one chip, like cleaning the bathroom (worth 4, one for the sink/counter, one for the tub, one for the toilet, one for sweeping and mopping the floor). Each chore chip is work $0.20.

We also have white chips for them to give each other for helping each other out. It encourages them to be nice to each other and to help each other out. The white chips are worth $0.05.

They can choose to spend their money or they can save it up. Right now, they all have over $15 saved up.

We homeschool and they get about $20 for completing a semester of math. They breeze through the semester of math in about 2 months and DH thinks that they deserve it since they breeze through them so fast. The $20 is also encouragement to continue to breeze through their books like that.

My boys are 12, 10, and 10.

·
Registered
626 Posts
chore board, that sounds cool.

When I was a kid a friend of mine had a system maybe kinda like that, not sure BUT I CAN TELL YOU THIS...
on the board they used
when one of the kids didn't do their chores or was grounded, the little doggie icon ( all the kids had one with their name on it)
went into the DOGHOUSE on the board.
LOL

it was cute and effective... everyone could see that kid was in the doghouse
and it was right at the front door by the kitchen on the wall... so the visiting kids could see too.

;)
I like the idea of a chore board.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Could you do the bigger yuckier, or less wanted chores be worth more (like cleaning out the outside garbage cans is a big one here) be worth more?

Keeping a good attitude about chores worth something too? That might help them not make it into a battle. Dunno if it would help, just an idea.

Maybe general vaccing worth X ..and full deep, move the furniture, do the floor and upholstery worth x amount more?

MAybe washing the car, in and out?

Then the normal household have to's (Like dishes, take out the trash, feed Spot & Rover etc) worth less but still need to be done or it comes out of their "wage".

just throwing out some ideas. :)

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for some of the ideas.

I like the poker chips. We used to do something similar with coins but it was hard to keep the coin supply ready. Using chips will be a great way!

I agree some jobs will be worth more.

today I sat down and started making some detailed cleaning lists, for them. DD10 went with one in the lower bathroom. It detailed what cleaning the bathroom meant. She went happily and completed it and it looks great!

So I continued. I details what "clean your room" involves. DD8 who is a BATTLE to get ANYTHING done, was eager to please. Grab her list and did a wonderful job.

So I'm working on detailed lists for everything. I'm printing them on 4x6 recipe cards, and saving them so I can reprint if something gets lost.

So far I've gotten sweeping, surprising that a 14 yo needs to told that picking up school bags, toys and garbage off the floor is necessary before sweeping or vacuuming..lol

Bathroom, bedroom, sweeping, games area, family room, livingroom and emptying dishwasher, cleaning vehicle interiors. I'm going to break down all kitchen duties with detailed descriptions. These will be kept in a little photo album so that the kids can refer to them to do the job some what properly without me hovering. The way for this to work is for me to really make sure I "inspect"to be sure there's actual effort put into it, not haphazard.

Next is getting their morning, after school, after supper and bedtime routines printed out.

With 3 able body chore doers, this will help me tremendously. Somethings never get done because I"m often the only one doing things, plus add the mess of a home daycare, things fall behind when we have a bad day(no naps, destructo here...etc). I know there is no reason why they shouldn't be helping out, but the younger 2 of the 3 can fight so hard, when I'm exhausted already, it's not worth it some days. BUt it's time it changes. And I'm ready for it..lol.

It is soooo important that they all learn to do their part, and then some. So I'm up for the job. This will free up some of MY time in awhile to get to things that have been neglected for some time.

WOOHOo!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
That sounds alot like what we do. Our kids have routine things they have to do because they live here and should chip in, but I have a list on the fridge of chores I wouldn't normally ask them to do that they can do for money. The money amount is next to each chore and the amount is based on how long it will take them to do the chore properly. And there is a limit on how much they can earn in a week.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Each child gets $10/week. Ages 14,14,12,12,12. Their chores consist of an entire room and they switch chores every Sunday afternoon. Example:Kitchen- wipe down cabinets, spray(antibacterial) down counters, wipe down stove with cleaner (glasstop), fix tea, help with supper when needed, take out trash, sweep and mop. Den- febreeze couch, dust end tables with polish, clean sliding glass door, straighten Wii game center, straighten pictures on shelf. dust t.v. lightly (flat screen) sweep and mop (hardwood floors), all have bedrooms. Some may think $10 is too much but we feel since they have an entire room that is a good amount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts