Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd forgotten how much fun little kids' programs are. We went to our grandson's Christmas program tonight at school, and it was so much fun!!! He's a first grader, and the stage was filled with squirmy little bodies in the process of losing teeth. They are learning to use rhythm instruments in music class, so we were serenaded with bells, sticks, sand block, tambourines, etc. Our grandson was spectacular (of course) on the tambourine. And he knew all the words and all the actions (such a smart little feller!). And the fact that he picked his nose all the way through the concert only shows how well he can multi-task. Oh, and you noticed how he tried to walk on his heels when his class exited the stage? Not easy with those cowboy boots, no sirree! Just shows his creative movement..... But as far as his running into that wall.... well..... guess he just wasn't watching where he was going. Should have had his eye on the teacher instead of trying to wave at us. Overall, a very good evening!

Got any stories about your kid's programs?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another observation from last night: a little mentally challenged girl was in the program, but had lots of problems getting to where she was supposed to stand, trouble with the actions, etc. But the teacher had selected two students to stand on either side of her, and gently help the girl with each part. They got no recognition, just did a wonderful act of service with grace and dignity. What a great lesson to learn at such a young age!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Our kids' school concert was absolutely spectacular. I don't just mean cute because they're kids - it was actually good. Funny, great performances, good story, by far the best concert we have ever seen (and my oldest is 18, so I've seen a lot of them). Their music teacher must be really wonderful to be able to inspire all those kids to perform so well and with so much enthusiasm.

Unfortunately, my son was too sick to go :(. He actually threw up at lunchtime but pretended to be okay afterwards because he knew his grandparents were all coming to the afternoon dress rehearsal and he didn't want to get sent home. But, by the evening he was just too fevered to make it. So, our parents got to see him perform but we didn't (and, according to Grampy, he was the most talented one in the class ;)).

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aw..... Monkey.... So sorry that he got sick and that you missed the program. And of course, he's the most talented in the class! That always goes without saying!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
My kids are the kids church musical this afternoon. I am looking forward to see them and all the other kids preform. This is our first christmas having kids in the house and I am looking forward to it.
They are both excited and nervous.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Julia's concert is always phenomenal. There are hundreds of kids in her school, and what the chorus teacher is able to get 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders to do consistently astounds me. They are singing harmonies and parts and it's awesome! The band and orchestra are awesome, as well. It's just long...an hour and a half.

Patrick's concert was great, for the first time in 5 years of going to concerts at his school. They've always been disorganized and long and ridiculous, and there are less than 100 kids there. This time, though, they have a new music teacher, and the Kindergarteners, 1st and 2nd graders all sang 3 songs and the whole thing was over in 36 minutes.

Matty's is always a hoot. He's in Pre-K, and so it's the nursery schoolers and Pre-K'ers. There's always a nose picker (usually one of mine) and this time Matty had an interesting rendition of Little Drummer Boy that he seemed to do all by himself. Dh and I couldn't help ourselves from laughing hysterically.

So, yes, kids concerts...always a hoot!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Little Miss had the Christmas program with songs and verses at church. She leaned in and pointed at the words in the sheet music for the younger child's. She was helping them keep their place. Ever the mother she is. After words, she ask if I saw her ( it was obvious how could I miss LOL) she let me know what she was doing and why. Guess she wanted me to know she was taking care of the younger ones. ;)

Little Miss also had her first orchestra performance children who have only started playing 4 months playing Christmas song. It was cute not lovely but cute. The non orchestra children told the orchestra children that they made tons of mistakes. The music teacher/orchestra teacher jumped to their defense. She was very proud of the progress the orchestra students had made in 4 months. :)

Buddy's program was with the middle and high school choirs,and orchestra with high school bands combined. It was the 75th year the school had but on a Christmas/Seasonal Celebration so they hired an professional company to film it. We will be able to buy CDs and DVDs in January. I'm so excited.
Oh and it was wonderful as usual

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
We had Wesley's preschool program yesterday. I was very irritated that it didn't get started until 20 minutes past the expected time. I realize things happen, but this is a continued problem with his teachers this year and when I'm down to a very limited amount of time that I can be gone, it's upsetting that I am left with the choice to either walk out halfway through my son's program or just not return to work when I should and risk the chance of getting in trouble. Oy. I opted for the potential trouble idea.

It was a great program though. They broke the kids up into three groups. First, our group went on a scavenger hunt involving the nativity scene. It was really cute and I had to laugh when Wesley got to answer a clue and filled us all in on those shepards.

After that, we went and had cookies, listened to stories and just hung out for a bit. Then we went and did arts and crafts. Wesley made me a beautiful bracelet out of beads. Hubby told me a story about how he used to eat the beads from his daycare so he could take them home because he thought they were rubies.

Then we got to listen to the kids sing. It was so cute. They were singing Jingle Bells nice and quietly, then they would shout HEY! I jumped a few times.

Wesley was so happy that his daddy was able to come. We weren't sure if he would be able to since he had been subpoena-ed (sp?) to testify about a case, but we lucked out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Awww, Allonna didn't do a Christmas program this year and I miss it. I remember when she was in Preschool and lower elementary grades, how cute the little ones were. My 4 yo starts K next Fall so I'm sure I have many more programs in my future!

Glad you enjoyed your grandson's performance. It sounds adorable!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Our kids always have a Christmas Eve program in church..they tell the Christmas story and sing songs...it always so cute and I just love hear the young voices sing praises to our new born King...
After the service as we leave the church each child receives a bag of goodies to take home with them...
My Christmas Eve has been this way for as long as I can remember and my Mom said that they did it this way when she was little...I just love traditions like this....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.