Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my son goes to a public school. we tried the homeschooling route, but he and i are so much alike that all we did was argue instead. me being a substitue at his school helps tho, because now i know enough about the way the teachers handle their class that i can reccomend whos class i want my son in.

the thing is, during the summer, my son needs the constant schedule and structure that school provides. i would like to give him a 'homeschooling summer mini course' (he's been out of school for 3 days and he's already working my last nerve!) he will be entering kindergarten next year so i would like to get a head start on some of the things they will be learning, like writing on lined paper, counting to 100 and spelling.

i've been talking to a friend of mine and she wants the boys to get together during the summer for 'field trips' so that will be good for him too. but like i said earlier, my son and i fight, ALOT, when we work on school work together. any thoughts, sites, books, ANYTHING you can reccomend to help me help him over the summer?

·
Registered
15,626 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
My oldest daughter and I used to fight a lot too when we tried to do 'school' with all the workbooks and pages too. In fact, it has actually taken us awhile, I believe to find our equilibrium because I tried to push these on her too much. I, personally, found that using more games and fun activities we did the better we got along. And trust me, my daughter is in training to be a lawyer she argues so much. The more fun we had, the more willing she was to do a worksheet here or there. At 7 we are finally getting to the point that she is developmentally ready to focus and spend more than 5 minutes on a piece of paper.

Games we played: Hi-Ho-Cheerio, match the letters (made this using index cards - uppercase on one card and lowercase on the other), Memory, Puzzles, I Spy, jump counting to practice skip counting (1, 2 - jump, 3, 4 - jump, etc.)
Used paints and fingerpaints to practice writing and letters (most children don't have really developed fine-motor skills and if they can practice making them larger and then transition to smaller and smaller print). We counted objects when riding in the car.

Kumon has some really good workbooks that even my workbook adverse child did do on occassion. She also enjoyed mazes, to help with pencil control and focus.

Enchanted Learning is a great website. You have to pay a $20 membership fee to get full benefits - but has been well worth it!! Has tons of printables for all ages and abilities. You can make your own 'workbooks' that focus on what might interest your child.

You can still set up structure without it revolving around worksheets and such. Rotate manipulatives, but them in groups and have him work from group A in the morning (he could choose - building blocks, a puzzle, matching or whatever is in that group) then in the afternoon he could spend time with something from Group B. The next day he has to choose something else from each group.

It was hard for me to adjust away from the workbook = learning idea. But, my daughter taught me that even though she might be able to do them, she wasn't ready to really do them. And her way of telling me that was to be difficult.

Have a good summer and have lots of fun.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i found a WHOLE bunch of worksheets (he actually loves doing worksheets) on the net, and i picked up a couple of cheep work books at walmart. we've only been doing it for 2 days now, but he hasn't given me fits about it once yet. he's actually paying attention and can spell everything we've worked on. (granted its only 2 words, but im still excited!)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
how about reading to him as much as possible? I think that always builds relationships between parents and kids. and fosters great conversations, which could alleviate some of the arguing? Good luck!

Jennifer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts