Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i'm pretty proud of myself at the moment! see we have a hand-me-down couch that we got from a gf of mine about 5 years ago. Ikea jobbie with the washable covers - which over time loss their shape and luster and truthfully just look like holy he!!. plus we have a couple of dogs and they love playing tackle the couch - just about every day my front room has been rearranged for me.

for awhile i've been artfully draping a striped sheet over the couch and that works, sorta. it's anything but elegant for sure. every day it's find the couch, straighten the cushions, redrape the sheet, tuck tuck tuck. with the 2 year old 95# american bulldog NOW is just not the time to get a NEW couch.

so i checked Ikea online and it said they have a sale going on. so i called my local outlet and the covers in the color i want are ON SALE! reg $149, on sale for $49!!!! 50 bucks and the hand me down/free couch gets a new lease on life!!!!

WOO HOO. go me. go frugality. :fdance:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
thats great !! is the old cover dye-able ??

i actually dyed a couch once using rit die and a spray bottle on a white coach and made it dark green .

couch was a 700+ couch back in 1989- paid 100$ for it at an outlet because it had a big greas stain across back ( went against wall so i didnt care - it was made really well)
had that couch for about 18 years - 10 years into it it got kind of dingy looking with 5 kids etc so i dyed it green - redyed it after about years - finally treated myself to a new set when we redid living room ( paint rug etc ) and that went to a newly single mom from freecycle so it may be living on .

Reactions: Tess B

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's pretty tattered and torn in spots! when we got it we found out it had also doubled as a cat scratching post, etc. but that is a great idea going forward! wow you could dye a LOT of things huh? oh boy, now you've done it....

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Congrads on your renewed sofa. My couch is over 18 years old. It has worn spots and broken springs. It doesn't look too bad but it smells and no longer can function as a couch. It's time for something new. Soon. I think 18 years is a good lifetime for a sofa that was used and abused. I deserve a new one. Then I will sit in the livingroom and enjoy it again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we made the trek to Ikea yesterday...was a bit taken aback at how BOLD the print was compared to how it looked on line....circled around to see if there were any other cover colors on sale...yeah the PINK one (pink??? really?) - meanwhile the place is starting to fill up and it was time to fish or cut bait. so we said, what the heck, for this price, we can adjust!

it's quite a wrestling match getting those new covers ON....think elephants and panty hose. i was damp sweaty mess by the time i was done but it was nothing short of miraculous how GREAT my "new" couch looks! all the cushions line up again and stay IN place. every morning first thing i'd do is straighten and fluff everything out again, and re-drape the stupid sheet and it still looked all disheveled and in disarray.

this morning, i didn't have to DO that! i hadn't really realized what an irritant that had become....feel like i saved a sliver of sanity!!!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I want PICS!!!

:toothy:

Preferbly, before & after ;)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
ok so i'm pretty proud of myself at the moment! see we have a hand-me-down couch that we got from a gf of mine about 5 years ago. Ikea jobbie with the washable covers - which over time loss their shape and luster and truthfully just look like holy he!!. plus we have a couple of dogs and they love playing tackle the couch - just about every day my front room has been rearranged for me.

for awhile i've been artfully draping a striped sheet over the couch and that works, sorta. it's anything but elegant for sure. every day it's find the couch, straighten the cushions, redrape the sheet, tuck tuck tuck. with the 2 year old 95# american bulldog NOW is just not the time to get a NEW couch.

so i checked Ikea online and it said they have a sale going on. so i called my local outlet and the covers in the color i want are ON SALE! reg $149, on sale for $49!!!! 50 bucks and the hand me down/free couch gets a new lease on life!!!!

WOO HOO. go me. go frugality. :fdance:
Fantastic! When the new covers get there, you might (depending on the size of the couch) throw an old comforter over it. It's better protection from the dogs than a sheet, doesn't have to be tucked in and can be removed in a flash for company.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Wow great price! Way to go!! :clap:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Strange Argument :)

My DH and I had a strange argument when we first got married.
Now, I don't mean to be sexist, but isn't it usually the woman who's demanding new furniture?

I had a couch that I dearly loved (bought it all by myself when single, great sleeper sofa, loved the pattern, etc. etc.). Paid around $600 on sale for it. Well, he hated it hated it. I insisted we keep it, since we had so many other expenses, but he lobbied long and hard for a new one. Took me forever to cave in. (We could afford another one -- I just liked mine; didn't want to spend the money; hate waste.)

When we finally got a new one (years later) I had to concede the quality of mine was sorely lacking -- I had been "taken" by the salesman. DH is one to buy infrequently, but to spend a bit more and to buy quality that lasts a long time. Too -- I freely admit it -- he has a much better eye for style than I do.

~M

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.