Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a new kindle fire for Christmas this year, and I've noticed a few members posting kindle information. I think it would be great if we could put all kindle freebies in one place.

Anyone interested???

· Registered
8,366 Posts
Hubby received a kindle fire for his birthday for my mom on Friday

Currently enjoying the free month amazon prime that came with it. Watching movies and tv shows on the tv too as we can do that.

Downloaded a free angry birds app.

Love having another web surf board in the house.

Each child looked through the free books and found one or two to read. Hubby found a sample of a book he hadn't read from one of his favorite authors.

· Registered
221 Posts
seems like dealspl.us has a list of kindle freebies about everyday. they usually have a little description with them so you can decide if you are interested without going to the amazon site. I have found a lot of cookbooks and some short fiction books.

Also, use the kindle lending library with your one month free amazon prime. Our library also has a digital lending service where you can borrow ebooks, check and see if yours does!

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I downloaded my first free amazon book...about the kindle..and finding free ebooks for 2012. ~I think it was a great thing...and one of the links in it point to Kindlenationdailey...or something to that effect.

Can we post links here?

Anyhow...I found a bunch of freebies at amazon under top 100 free ebooks. I've also found some really cool older cookbooks.
I'm am LOVING this kindle.~!

· Registered
9,802 Posts
The site I use to pick off freebies is eReaderIQ.com | The Easier, Faster, Smarter Way to Kindle!

Hovering the mouse over the cover image will bring up the book description. You can also limit the list in several ways. There is also a search feature there that allows you to set price parameters and topics if you're looking for cheap ones. Another feature I've used is to list a book I'm interested in - the site notifies you if the price drops.

A note to new Kindlers - if you see a free book that looks interesting get it then. Some of these seem to be perpetuallly free, others will be offered for free only for a short time, or even a day. If you later decide against them, you can permanently delete them from your archive via Manage My Kindle on Amazon. I wiped out a bunch over the weekend.

· Registered
124 Posts
Thanks so much dcompton for the link, I've just loaded 6 books onto my kindle. I LOVE that ereaderIQ site, it is so much easier than wading through all of amazon to find the best FREE books!

· Registered
2,415 Posts

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Absolutely starsapphire...I should have titled this ereader kith~!!

Thanks for sharing everyone.

I had bought a walmart card I could preload...that I tied to my amazon account.~well I got the permanent one in the mail the other day, and called last night to register it~and they told me they were transferring $4 over. I should have had $20 on that card....so obviously I bought something I wasn't aware of.~
I'm assuming if I get on amazon..I can look and see what I was charged for???

DARN IT!!! BUT..this is exactly why I used that walmart card instead of tying it to my regular bank account!
DARN IT~!!

· Registered
8,366 Posts
I have a question

in the free book section on the kindle some are listed as Free with nothing after them and some are listed as free with a prime symbol.

Is there a difference?

Also it says you can borrow 1 book a month with prime are these in the free books list or where are they?

· Registered
8,366 Posts
Absolutely starsapphire...I should have titled this ereader kith~!!

Thanks for sharing everyone.

I had bought a walmart card I could preload...that I tied to my amazon account.~well I got the permanent one in the mail the other day, and called last night to register it~and they told me they were transferring $4 over. I should have had $20 on that card....so obviously I bought something I wasn't aware of.~
I'm assuming if I get on amazon..I can look and see what I was charged for???

DARN IT!!! BUT..this is exactly why I used that walmart card instead of tying it to my regular bank account!
DARN IT~!!
We have been getting purchase order e-mails every time someone orders/downloads something. (not the instant movies in the prime section but the apps and books) So far all of our have said $0.00

So I bet you could check your e-mails and see what you purchased.

Reactions: CrazyCat

· Registered
8,366 Posts
I have a question

in the free book section on the kindle some are listed as Free with nothing after them and some are listed as free with a prime symbol.

Is there a difference?

Also it says you can borrow 1 book a month with prime are these in the free books list or where are they?
I think I figure out the answer

Some in the free section are borrow for free and you can get one of those a month with a prime membership. Some in the buy section are borrow for free with prime membership, like The Hunger Games book.

some are buy for free and you can get as many of those as you want

It appears the words are important.

· Registered
9,802 Posts
That's right, imagine. The borrowing feature is rather new. I've starting using it, having borrowed a couple I was interested in, but not interested enough to buy.

I could also have gotten free samples, but I tend not to do that, because I have such a backlog that most books I get I'm not planning on reading right then, and I wouldn't want to read the start until I ready to read (or reject) the whole thing. Also, if it a cheap or special sale book, by the time I get around to the sample the price may be bumped up past what I'm willing to pay. So they don't work too well for me. Occasionally I'll make use of them.

· Registered
8,366 Posts
That's right, imagine. The borrowing feature is rather new. I've starting using it, having borrowed a couple I was interested in, but not interested enough to buy.

I could also have gotten free samples, but I tend not to do that, because I have such a backlog that most books I get I'm not planning on reading right then, and I wouldn't want to read the start until I ready to read (or reject) the whole thing. Also, if it a cheap or special sale book, by the time I get around to the sample the price may be bumped up past what I'm willing to pay. So they don't work too well for me. Occasionally I'll make use of them.
There is a limit on how many you can borrow, right?

· Registered
9,802 Posts
It's one per calendar month. I renewed my Prime membership the last few days of December after having let it lapse for three or four months, and got one immediately. I'm curious to see if I can get another next December before it expires, or if it really counts to 12.

· Registered
8,366 Posts
It's one per calendar month. I renewed my Prime membership the last few days of December after having let it lapse for three or four months, and got one immediately. I'm curious to see if I can get another next December before it expires, or if it really counts to 12.
Does the borrow free button go away after you have borrowed one that month?

What happens if you click the borrow button but have already borrowed one that month? Does it just say no or does it charge you?

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks imagine..you are right. I haven't checked my home email in a couple days~I bet it's on there. I'm going to check it tonight when I get home. ~:)

Donna....so my question.....is the prime membership worth it? I think the price is $79??
If so..when I reload my card I need to put more on it if I'm considering the prime membership.

· Registered
9,802 Posts
I love Prime, but wouldn't do it just for the Kindle freebies. It might be worth it if I read a lot of expensive books and enough of them were available that way, but I really don't.

I am finding it harder and harder to get out and shop with my arthritis and my nesting syndrome that makes me just want to stay home when I'm not at work, so I generally order quite a bit from Amazon. Since I work evenings and UPS always delivers around 6:00 at the apartments, while I am at work, I can time an order to arrive on a day off, since it's a definite two day delivery. Also, it's nice to be able to order just some small thing and have it fall under the free shipping umbrella. I had only let it lapse because I wasn't really ordering much in the late fall. The one thing I knew I would order was enough that it qualified for free shipping anyway.

I allow myself the indulgence because I feel like I really get my money's worth from it, but not everyone would. The new freebies are just a nice bonus for me.

· Registered
126 Posts
out of control

I had signed up for the Free Kindle Book emails from eReaderIQ.com | The Easier, Faster, Smarter Way to Kindle! and have mostly loaded free books since I got my kindle in sept 2011 before my trip overseas.

I also borrow from my local library for free for 3 weeks at a time but they have a limit of 6 books checked out from the digital library at a time.

It's totally crazy but I read even faster on my kindle then I do regular books and I read them pretty fast also.

Well, I got totally out of control with loading free books and when I realized that I had over 700 I realized that something had to give. I would have just left them alone but the kindle manager on amazon has to reload all the titles every time you do anything to any one book and it was totally getting on my nerves. I had initally just moved books into a completed collection but have since started deleting them after I read about 10 or so. Plus I haven't loaded any new free books since then. I figure go threw what I already have first.

out of control - luckily they were all free
I've read about 100 books since september - my husband even noticed I was reading faster on the kindle

ps I don't watch tv much and work full time - just love reading

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.