Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating the purchase of a Kitchen Aid Mixer. Here is the story:
I did not feel like doing any baking for well over a year. DH offered to get me the Kitchen Aide as a gift but I felt it would be a waste given my lack of interest. My life has changed lately and I find an unexpected urge to bake, try new recipes, etc again.

do those of you who own the mixer find them useful and worth the purchase price? do you think they are too heavy to store in a cupboard and take out when you want to use them? I have limited counter space and hate it to look cluttered so would probably store in the pantry.

I sort of, kind of want one but am not 100% sold.
Thoughts?

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
27,948 Posts
I love mine & cried when I received it. Mine stays on the counter and it looks pretty there so I work around it, lol. They are heavy and moving it may be a problem for some.
We use ours mostly for kneading bread pizza & cookie doughs, whisking mashed potatoes & cream. The attachments we have also let us by cheese in large packages & shred our own. Slice veggies with slicer. It's a nice all around multi tasker and glad I have mine. Wish I had it when my kids were little to help me keep the cookie jar full. Oh well, I may be a Grandma some day. ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
do those of you who own the mixer find them useful and worth the purchase price?
Yes. Even just for beating cake mix batter, it's so much easier on my shoulders to let the KA do it. I used to use a hand mixer and was finding it more and more difficult after about age 40. Plus, the standing mixer just makes less mess.

do you think they are too heavy to store in a cupboard and take out when you want to use them?
Yes, MUCH too heavy to lift and carry on a regular basis, for me anyway. I got one to match my kitchen decor (cardinal red) and it looks great on the counter. Everyone I know who has one keeps it on the counter, FWIW. :)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I am so greatful to have mine. It sits on the counter too. I only have about 8 sq feet of counter space too, so i work around it. It is heavy. I could pull it in and out of the pantry, but I'm afraid the weight on and off of my whimpy shelves would prematurely wear of the flimsy wood. My wire shelves would surely buckle. I use mine almost daily so it would be on the counter top anyhow most of the time. Today I am making a biscuit dough with it to make breakfast for the kiddos.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I had the 4.5 quart Artisian and just last year bought the 6 quart Professional. I liked them both. They were far FAR better than any of the hand held or stand mixers I had before.

If you are going to get one I would suggest the Professional series. They are more expensive but have much larger motors and have to work no where near as hard as the artisian on thick batters.

I purchased my Professional at the Kitchen Collection as a Refurbished Model on a clearance sale for less than $300.00. I can honestly say it was worth every penny. I consider it one of the best kitchen purchases I have ever made.

If you get one, I wouldn't bother with the pour sheld unless it just comes with it. Make sure to get the Whisk, Paddle and doug hook.

Would also suggest getting a neutral color so that it matches your kitchen if you decide to remodel in the future.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I keep mine on the counter. It's too heavy to lift. I think it's almost 30lbs. I also have the 6qt pro model. I wanted the lift rather than the tilt model. Plus I have a big family to bake/cook for.

I use it for baking and of course the mashed potatoes.

Darlene- do you have a grater attachment? I may have to look into that!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
LOVE MINE!!! You can buy a paddle attachment now that has a built in spatula - best attachment EVER.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I love, love, love my kitchen aid. I love whipping up cookies, cake batters, kneading breads and more with it. I cook everything from scratch and it would be a chore without it. Did I say I love my kitchen aid....lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
Love my kitchen aid.... I also have the pro series and it is much more powerfull..... I also leave mine out on the counter I made a nice cover for it to keep dust off.... I got mine for a steal of a deal 3 or 4 blackfridays ago at bon ton for $175.00.... best money ever spent...

·
Registered
147 Posts
my dad got me mine for christmas a few years ago as a surprise. I definitely use it more that anything else in my kitchen. I LOVE it.
And am thinking about getting my sister one this year...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kitchenaid

There are four items I will not live without in my kitchen:

Kitchenaid stand mixer
Kitchenaid food processor
Excalibur dehydrator
All American canner.

Buy it, you will NOT regret it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I grew up watching my Grandmother use a KitchenAid mixer and was amazed at all the goodies she always made -

I LOVE mine - I purchased it a couple of years ago - and it has made life so much easier when it comes to baking goodies...I see why my Grandmother used hers for everything.

If you can afford it - get it - it is the greatest thing ever!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I'm jealous of you kitchenaide mixerowners, I still have a hand mixer but it's a powerful one!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I debated and debated just like you are now mamaw! My husband bought me one last year before Christmas, I left it sitting in the sealed box in my kitchen. After three days, I felt so guilty about the purchase price, I returned it. This year, we found it on sale, even better than last year, I bought it and have absolutely no regrets this time around!

·
27,948 Posts
I keep mine on the counter. It's too heavy to lift. I think it's almost 30lbs. I also have the 6qt pro model. I wanted the lift rather than the tilt model. Plus I have a big family to bake/cook for.

I use it for baking and of course the mashed potatoes.

Darlene- do you have a grater attachment? I may have to look into that!
Yes, these are all the attachments I have. Wish they had them all in one like this years ago.
Amazon.com: KitchenAid FPPA Mixer Attachment Pack for Stand Mixers: Kitchen & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41f%[email protected]@[email protected]@41f%2BuidOMhL

Also wanted to add that I love the tilt head and don't thnk I'd like the lift type mixer.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I love my too! I have the pro model in black and it sits out on my counter and looks soooo nice. I am so glad I got it, makes baking and making bread a breeze.

I don't have any extra attachments other than the three paddles it came with. I would like to get some in the future. I was looking into the wheat grinder, but have since bought a Wonder Mill for that. A slicer/grater would be nice too.

I don't think you will regret the purchase.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Darlene, now I know the next thing for my kitchen will be those attachments!! thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Am I the only person whose stand mixer broke? Mine makes an awful noise and thumping when it's running. Would have been great if it had happened during the warrantee period as they will just pick it up and fix or replace it. Out of warrantee you have to take it to a repair shop.

It is very difficult to find shops that repair small appliances now because most small appliances are thrown out when they break. There was nothing near our old place (the one shop recommended by KitchenAid had already gone under). Just found one near our new place - operated out of their home, they said drop it off they'll get to it sometime :shrug2:

Love it when it's working, even broken it can still do the light work.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.