Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this morning, as I'm getting ready for work, I turn on the 1980-ish kitchen faucet. This is one of those single lever faucets that turns at the base over a double sink and has an attached sprayer as part of the faucet neck (if that makes sense). Well, this faucet has been...temperamental...lately. Some days, it rotates on its base with no problem. Other days, it sticks as if it has rusted shut, and you have to practically hang off of it to get it to move.

I was in a hurry. I was NOT feeling a lot of patience. The faucet decided to test me, and the faucet lost. I whacked that thing upside its little faucet head, and what can I say...I killed it. Water spraying everywhere from its little faucet jugular. I am sure it would have made a great slasher pic in a world where faucets enjoy thrillers.

In short, I have to get a new faucet. I mentioned to a friend of mine that I am going to try to buy a faucet and install it myself (the sum total of my DIY experience being that: I know how to remove a dip stick from the oil "thingy" in the car, but don't really know how to read it; and I once took an adjustable wrench to my bathroom faucet and managed to yank the rusted filter out and clean it, thus improving the flow of water. I was EXTREMELY proud of the latter accomplishment. However, I have yet to figure out how to stop the cold water tap from leaking in this same sink, so my solution was to turn the water off at the cold water hose. I now have about ten seconds to wash my hands and/or face before risking blisters.)

Oddly, my friend (who knows me very well) apparently didn't hear my statement of independence, because he immediately offered the name and phone number of a handyman who could come fix the sink for me. Insulted, I again stated, "I think I'm going to try it myself." He just shook his head sadly and walked away.

So tomorrow, I am going to follow the instructions in the DIY repair your faucet instructions I found on the internet, and I am going to order a new faucet.

All your well wishes, good vibes, and "Oh, I've been there and just don't do...." suggestions appreciated. :)

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Not that I don't wish you the best of luck...

... but plumbing repair is a tricky place to start your DIY.

Still - ok - you'll need:
- Clear silicon caulk (and a caulking gun) OR Plumbers putty
- Teflon tape
- Channel locks
- A pan or bucket for catching drips
- Possibly new water feed hoses - which if you decide to replace, get the metal wrapped ones

Have the stuff with you and ready to go before you start. Plumbing jobs are a PITA for DIY cause you ALWAYS end up going back to Home Depot about 3 times, it seems.

Good luck!! Take pictures!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'll just say this....if I can do it....anyone can. Greebo listed all the supplies you will need. I would suggest the plumbers putty over the silicone, it's a little less bothersome to have to deal with. Ask the folks at the hardware store to help you find what you need. Most of the new faucets come with detailed instructions on how to install them. Remember you will need some patience, don't beat up the new faucet before it's attached lol. Good luck you can do this!

·
Registered
131 Posts
"The faucet decided to test me, and the faucet lost. I whacked that thing upside its little faucet head, and what can I say...I killed it. Water spraying everywhere from its little faucet jugular. I am sure it would have made a great slasher pic in a world where faucets enjoy thrillers."

:D:D:D:D:D

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Oh, wait, what am I laughing at, I've done that before!!!!!

Good Luck with your project.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice and the support. I know that plumbing is not necessarily the place for beginners (although, hey, it's better than starting with electrical problems), but as I told my friend, if I can't do it, the worst I am out is some time. I can still hire a professional to fix my mistakes. :)

·
4,028 Posts
I don't find plumbing to be as complicated as it first appears. Once I see some diagrams of what I'm working with, I tend to have a much clearer understanding of what I need to do.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I don't find plumbing to be as complicated as it first appears. Once I see some diagrams of what I'm working with, I tend to have a much clearer understanding of what I need to do.
"Greebo! The faucet is leaking! Come fix it!" <-- What she determines she "needs to do". ;)

Just kidding dear!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Greebo! The faucet is leaking! Come fix it!" <-- What she determines she "needs to do". ;)
Just kidding dear!
Well, that doesn't sound too complicated to me. :) I suspect the airfare to have you come fix my faucet might exceed the cost of a plumber, though.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Yeah, I charge extra to travel to the "Left Coast" too. ;)

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
ROFL - wise choice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts