Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever changed out thier kitchen faucet? Is it difficult?

I do indeed have a hubby that generally does the DIY around the house, but he loathes plumbing and I am sick of waiting to have my kitchen faucet fixed. Only been waiting about 5+ years now! :grrr:

How hard is it? Can I do it myself?

As much as I let my hubby think I am helpless :laugh: I can do lots around the house. I had a very good teacher, my dad.

Truth be known, I am better at most DIY projects than my hubby is, but I would never tell him. :D

·
27,948 Posts
I'm betting you can do it Dee! Jack isn't Mr. Plumber either but I've seen him put in a couple faucets & sinks too.
The directions come right with it & I'd ask the people where you buy it if you need plumbers tape or anything extra. As long as you know where your water shut off is, I think you'll be good to go. :cheergrl:

Truth be told I fake helplessness often too. :shhh: If something goes wrong with whatever he's fixed, not my fault, I didn't do it. :toothy:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It's not difficult at all. DH has changed ours twice and learned how to do it online.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My hubby was a carpenter who hates plumbing. When we remodeled the house I installed 6 faucets and 6 sinks. I've since replaced one of my kitchen faucets. And hubby knows I can be handy.

Installing a new faucet is easy-schmeasy. The instructions are on the box. You can soooo do this!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I KNEW I could do it! I have always said, if I can READ it, I can DO it! :D

Yep when dad and Jack finished the kitchen years ago, they put a shut off right under the sink.

One more question, do I need to know how many holes etc.. is in my sink?

Right now I have this faucet http://www.moen.com/products/87570CSD NEVER will I buy Moen again. :angry:

I am going to go for a basic faucet this time, is American Standard still a good brand?

TIA

Now how to get Jack out of the house for a few hours so I can raid his tools and get it done. :shhh:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yes, you need to know if you have 3 or 4 holes in your sink. But, if you have a 4th for a sprayer and don't want to get another one with that... then you can get a blank to put in the hole and close it up. If you buy a faucet with a sprayer and you don't have the hole for it, then you have to either drill one (a bit more complicated) or return for the proper faucet.

As for brands, just checked and mine are all peerless or delta.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Yep, like they said, not hard at all.

DH had to drill an extra hole for our reverse osmisis water filter thing. It wasn't hard.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks gals, I'm going shopping next week! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
IMO, faucets are the same as cars, some lines are good from a paricular company and others are bad.
I have a Moen in our kitchen and it is flawless.
I have Delta in both bathrooms, one is great, the other one has chrome coming off, it looks off-kilter so I'm not happy with it at all.
Good luck with your purchase, that you can install!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I know you can do it! I've never installed one personally but DH does it all the time and he's done in no time + the instructions are in the box. Don't you need that plumbers putty stuff though?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
My DH and FIL installed our newest one in the kitchen. I think it took them roughly fifteen minutes. We got a Peerless faucet with sprayer and there's instructions on the inside on how to do it. I know they used some sort of putty stuff on the part that sits on the sink itself and hooked up the hoses to the hot and cold water pretty easily. I wish I had watched closer. :lol:

It all depends on your kitchen sink setup. I think you can do most by yourself. It's way easier to install than, say, a toilet or plumbing for a sink.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Replacing a faucet is relatively easy, in terms of what has to be done.

It's the longest 15-30 minutes of your life, however, when you're folded up inside a kitchen cabinet. I hate plumbing...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Cool, I KNEW I could do it! I have always said, if I can READ it, I can DO it! :D

Yep when dad and Jack finished the kitchen years ago, they put a shut off right under the sink.

One more question, do I need to know how many holes etc.. is in my sink?

Right now I have this faucet http://www.moen.com/products/87570CSD NEVER will I buy Moen again. :angry:

I am going to go for a basic faucet this time, is American Standard still a good brand?

TIA

Now how to get Jack out of the house for a few hours so I can raid his tools and get it done. :shhh:
When we redid our kitchen, our contractor told us not to buy a faucet with the pullout sprayer because they don't last. I really wnated one, too, but I love the one we finally decided on.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
The one that we replaced had been in there for 25 years. I'm going to keep track of this one and hope it lasts. It's a Peerless and I have pics of it in my photo album on here. The only thing you have to worry about with a faucet that comes with a sprayer is not to pull the line against the metal housing that the top sits on. It'll cause a break in the line after a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts