Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done scarves and dishcloths. I'd like to move onto something else, but I'm not sure what I should attempt.

I was thinking maybe an easy hat? Can anyone recommend a pattern for a knitting newbie?

I'm going to search for some online, but I'm curious to hear what you did as your first projects too.

TIA :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
A khaki scarf. I was 7, my aunts were knitting socks and hats and scarves for GI's during WW2. My great-aunt had taught me how to knit, and I was determined to join the grownup (teenage) aunts in their project. I remember finishing the scarf, but don't remember what it looked like or even if it was sent. I was very proud of myself, but never knitted again until my daughter needed doll clothes.

Reactions: Michelle

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I re-started knitting: SOCKS.

There are good online tutorials.
I can't wait to try socks. Are there sock patterns that don't use DPN's? I'm afraid of those :laugh:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
My very first project was a knitted baby sweater. Oh my what a dumb thing to start with. When I finished that I went to an afghan which wasn't much easier, however I did get it done.

This time around, I went with mitts.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Michelle, Silver's Sock Tutorial has tutorials for knitting socks with two circulars or one circular (as well as dpns).

I did a lot of swatches, then a few garter stitch scarves, then I did about a year of dishcloths (on that same Yahoo group w/ Andi) and learned a lot of different stitch patterns that way. I got to try my hand at lace, cables, following a pattern, etc.

After dishcloths, I moved on to socks :toothy:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I started with scarves, then moved onto hats. I just kept adding new skills and stitches to my repertoire.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I began with a simple garter stitch scarf. It was quick and easy, and gave me enough experience to get my stitches even. I did two more before trying anything else, and then began the scarf I JUST finished - the reverse stockinette scarf for my brother (pics in my gallery). Since beginning that scarf, I've done a hat (which turned out too small - haven't attempted another hat yet), another scarf with simply knit/purls, and I've begun some lacy stuff...I'm in way over my head :) :loop:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts