Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read numerous sets of instructions and watched a youtube video (it went too fast), but I still can't figure it out. I always end up cheating by just increasing on the knit row.... okay, so I'm no perfectionist, but I AM frustratrated.

What's the secret? How on earth can you purl in the front and back of a purl stitch? The blasted yarn gets in the way!

Help! I am waayyy challenged on this!

~Mary

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
You are not alone I don't get it either. I bought a kids knitting book to try it from there, but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I also got teach yourself visually knitting thinking that might help too. I am a visual learner. I can't help you any other way. I'm not sure how easy it is to understand from wording it, but debbiecat has taught herself and seems to be doing rather well at it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear I'm not alone! I'm a seasoned knitter, and have taught myself a lot, but this one I just can't get!

Debbie-cat, YankeeMom, have you mastered the technique??? Anyone??

~Mary

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
It's tricky, but yes, you can increase on a purl row. There are a couple ways to do it that I've used. One is to purl into the front & the back of the stitch (tricky, but definitely doable). The other is to do a M1 (make one) by picking up a strand of yarn from the previous row, putting it on the left needle, then purling it through the back loop. It's important to do it through the back loop because otherwise you will have a "hole" where you picked up the strand of yarn.

Try this video from KnittingHelp.com
http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/flash/video_player/play/107/1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts