Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I'm a dummy I suppose. I can make quilts, crotchet, sew and I play one of the hardest instruments on the face of the earth to play and that is the harp. BUT I cannot take two sticks and some yarn and make a square muchless something that resembles a scarf or sweater. And I would love to learn how to knit. Any suggestions ???
Barb

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Try www.knittinghelp.com

Excellent site w/video clips to teach you. I know lots of people who love it. Do you have any yarn shops nearby that offer lessons? I know that Michael's craft stores have lessons too.

The best teacher for me, though, was my mother. I love knittinghelp.com, but I'm the type of person who needs to be shown what to do, and I need to learn by doing. After I learned how to cast on from her, everything else sort of fell into place.

Good luck :knit:

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I'd like to make a scarf too but I have seen some pretty scarf patterns that were crocheted and I know a little more about crocheting than knitting. Knitting scares me with two needles and I'm told by a seasoned lady who both knits and crochets that it's easier to correct mistakes in crochet. It's easy to drop a stitch in knitting.

·
Registered
345 Posts
:laugh: I saw the title of this thread and thought it was about me:laugh:

I haven't even tried yet and I am already a little intimidated. My mom is giving me her knitting stuff on Saturday (yarn, needles, books, etc--she doesn't have time to knit) so that I can give it a shot and see if I like it before I spend any money on it. If I do, I have a $25 WalMart gift card I can spend on knitting stuff!:cheergrl:

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Ditto to the videos at knittinghelp.com
That and practice practice practice!!! It's the only way to get comfortable with working with two sticks and a string all at once.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you thank you. I watched the video and am now inspired to try.
Barb

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with crocheting. All I could ever do was the chain. Then finally my younger sister taught me. So I would say to find a good teacher. I haven't looked at the classes online but I know that the books don't help me until I know a little bit about what I am doing when it came to knitting and crocheting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know it's not frugal, but paying for lessons at a local yarnstore would be my recommendation. Or Michael's or Joann's if that's all ya got. I crocheted for years and just could not get the hang of knitting on my own. Finally I took a class and everything fell into place. I've only been knitting for two years and next month I'll be teaching a class at the yarn store!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
A lot of privately owned yarn stores will offer help with learning to knit for free. We had a store around here for a while that encouraged you to bring in anyone who wanted to learn and they will help them learn to knit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You might also want to looking into local groups of knitters. I meet with a group I found through meetup.com and every time we meet we're asking and answering questions for each other. If there's one in your area, there's sure to be someone willing to show you the basics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts