Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up knitting and have already gone way past what I thought I was capable of. I love it!! And I am excited to give homemade gifts this Christmas.

Any other knitters out there?

:knit:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
There's loads of us here :D Come check out the Needle Arts section of FV

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi kmonokwe...I am a knitter! The majority of the knitting I do is scarves and dishcloths...I'm making some scarves for Christmas presents. But I am slowly learning how to make shaped items (I did do a head kerchief not too long ago). I took a sock knitting class a couple of months ago, but I'm still struggling along with where I left off...gotta get back to the yarn shop and ask for help! Either that or find a good online tutorial...

I got married on 10/17/2008 too!!! :yippee: :congrats:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I bought those looms, there round, and not the knifty knitter brand. I want to learn to make a bunch of stuff. My mom was with me when I bought them. She asked me what I wanted to make, I said dishcloths. She said it would be a lot cheaper to buy them. That it would cost a fortune to make. Is this true? Or is she just being her normally Scroogey self? She's a very negative person. Just wondering. Gail

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Knitting is the very first craft I learnt when I was newly married, over 40 years ago. I love knitting, however haven't done a whole lot over the past couple years. One of my challenges is to learn to knit socks and mitts. When I do knit, I find it really relaxing.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Newbie knitter here. I just made 2 scarves and 3 dishcloths over the last month...that's a big accomplishment for me :laugh:

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Nanagail, you cannot buy a dishcloth of the same quality as a knitted dishcloth. Seriously. When you add in the hours of entertainment you get from actually knitting it, the cost of the materials evens out. It really is cheap entertainment.

Unless you start visiting Etsy and buying the handpainted yarns :whistle:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nanagail, you cannot buy a dishcloth of the same quality as a knitted dishcloth. Seriously. When you add in the hours of entertainment you get from actually knitting it, the cost of the materials evens out. It really is cheap entertainment.

Unless you start visiting Etsy and buying the handpainted yarns :whistle:
Agreed! I buy a skein of cotton yarn on sale for two or three bucks, and I can usually get a few dishcloths out of it. Plus it's fun, plus they're prettier and more colorful than storebought... :tay:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi kmonokwe...I am a knitter! The majority of the knitting I do is scarves and dishcloths...I'm making some scarves for Christmas presents. But I am slowly learning how to make shaped items (I did do a head kerchief not too long ago). I took a sock knitting class a couple of months ago, but I'm still struggling along with where I left off...gotta get back to the yarn shop and ask for help! Either that or find a good online tutorial...

I got married on 10/17/2008 too!!! :yippee: :congrats:
Hello! Congratulations on your marriage! I hope you and your DH are enjoying married life. :)

It is exciting to see some action in this thread! I have never made dish cloths...I'm even having trouble imagining what a knitted dish cloth would be like! if anyone has pattern links or information, I am interested!

·
Registered
479 Posts
You can use any stitch pattern to make a dishcloth, textured patterns are great. Just figure out your gauge, cast on an appropriate number of stitches for the number of inches wide, and knit/purl away.

If you don't have any idea on what kind of stitch patter to use, just google free knitted dishcloth pattern and you will get dozens (probably hundreds) of hits.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
373 Posts
I knit all the time. I make socks, mittens, hats, scarves, baby clothes and clothes for myself.
Dishcloths are a mystery to me. What do you do with them? Are they for cleaning the kitchen or washing the dishes or both?

·
Registered
22 Posts
kittykatstrong, I LOVE Knitting Pattern Central! I can't believe how many different variations/patterns there are!

kmonokwe, I tried posting the link for the pattern I usually use, but apparently I can't post a link until after I've made 15 posts here! :scratch: So, I use size 7 needles with cotton worsted weight yarn, cast on 46 stitches, Rows 1 and 2: Knit across all stitches.
Rows 3 and 4: K 2, *K 1, P 1, repeat from * across to last 2 stitches, K 2, until it's the size you want

Also, is anyone here on Ravelry? I'm lovelydelusion over there, in case anyone wants to add me... :sun:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I knit all the time. I make socks, mittens, hats, scarves, baby clothes and clothes for myself.
Dishcloths are a mystery to me. What do you do with them? Are they for cleaning the kitchen or washing the dishes or both?
I don't use them to wash dishes, but I use them to wipe down the countertops and dining room table...

Reactions: iida

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I use mine mainly for wiping down tables/surfaces, but MIL uses hers to wash dishes. She swears by the textured ones, they scrub the dishes really well.

I also have some we use as washcloths in the bath/shower.

As a side note, I still have several that I made (crocheted) over 10 yrs ago that are still going strong. Whereas the ones I bought from the store less than 3yrs ago are in tatters ;)

Reactions: iida

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am definitely going to try these dishcloths after Christmas! As it is, I am way behind on my Christmas knitting challenge!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm a wannabe knitter. I have some books and have yarn and needles and have "attempted" and fooled around with it, but have gotten no where :(

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm a wannabe knitter. I have some books and have yarn and needles and have "attempted" and fooled around with it, but have gotten no where :(
I am that way with crocheting. I've got several crochet needles and a few patterns I would LOVE to do, but I haven't gotten around to actually learning it. Too caught up in failing my december knitting challenge...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I want to learn to knit SOOO bad, but I really have no idea where to start. I'm generally pretty crafty, so i'm sure i could pick it up, but i'm clueless how to begin!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts