Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a small county, one that only has two grocery stores: CB and Sav a lot. For the past 7 years I have been shopping at the Sav a lot, with maybe 1 small trip to Kroger per month. Well, this year I have started a price book and OH MY GOSH - Kroger is cheaper than SAL!!! I'm talking the price of cheese, butter, milk, yogurt, spagetti, spagetti sauce, ice cream, chicken breasts, and hamburger to just name a few things off the top of my head. And those aren't coupon or sale items either! Some things that are cheaper at SAL are cereal, canned veggies (by 4 cents) and dried beans. I feel like I've discovered some big cover up or something!

I never would have thought that the big chain store Kroger was cheaper than a store called SAL. If you're a die hard SAL person, maybe you should check out your local Kroger! I've saved so much money the past two months, and I've been getting a better variety of food!:clap:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Thats great. We don't have a Kroger
and SAL is 40 miles away.
Keep on saving

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree with sondray. Our Kroger is much more expensive, especially on ALL dairy. I only go to Kroger for the 10/$10 or some extra great advertised special. Last one was ground beef for .99 lb. (months ago)
10/10 I usually get are frozen veggies or peanut butter. Kroger used to have cheese 8 oz. logs for 10/10!!!!!! It's been a year since that sale !!!!!!!! I'm sure we'll never see that price again.

I still like Sav-A-Lot and Aldi for most purchasing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think it really depends on what area you live in as well. I mean I live in Ohio, and there is a Kroger on every block in Columbus, it seems, and the prices can vary from store to store, unless it's an advertised sale. For instance, I stopped at one store for my mom to pick up a gallon of milk for her, and paid $3.62 for it. A few days later, when I did our weekly grocery shopping, the same gallon of milk was $3.47 at the store I usually go to. However, I go to Aldi first, and then hit Kroger for what I couldn't get at Aldi.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I should add this to the title of my post . . .where I live in KY.

I got my receipts out and here are some of the price differences

K milk 2.79 SAL milk 3.79
K block cheese 2 pounds 3.99 SAL 4.99
K shredded cheese 1.99 SAL shredded cheese 3.29
K spagetti .67 SAL .99
K frozen chicken breasts 5lbs 4.99 SAL 3 pounds 6.79
K hamburger 3 lbs. 4.19 SAL 6.99
K ice cream 1.59 SAL 2.99

I'm going to have to check out Aldi's next week to do some price comparisons. I REFUSE to pay a higher price for food if I know I can buy it cheaper somewhere else. I think I'm becoming a (whispering now) tightwad!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm in KY too and I agree about the prices. We have Kroger, SAL, Walfart, Aldi's and EW James. EW James is outrageous, it used to be Winn Dixie. I wish They'd change it back. Our Aldi's isn't much, I can seriously find better deals at Kroger. Then again, I coupon heavily and our Kroger doubles unlimited coupons up to .50 and I can make out like a bandit on lots of stuff. Back over the course of Sept, I ended up with $1200 in groceries/HBA for $217. But I have noticed Kroger's everyday prices are way better than SAL here anyways, most of the time with name brand. Milk is regularly $2.50 a gallon, whereas SAL has it for like $3 something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts