Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here hunt along with their DH's or SO's
Just got my deer license yesterday along with my fiance and DS.
With luck 3 deer in the freezer for the winter.
I'm not into turkey or rabbit hunting unless it comes to feeding my family
no other way.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Not a hunter personally but a strong advocate! I have essential tremors so could NEVER hit a target, but I'd scare the SNOT out of a robber with the way my hands shake if they'd come in, they'd be facing a shot gun that will hit them SOMEWHERE but lordy only knows where!

However, since we don't hunt we have friends who we allow to hunt our land, right now the duck/goose hunters are out there banging away.

We also have friends that deer hunt here, a friend that traps muskrat and one friend of mine just LOVES to hunt groundhogs, she's gotten 39 of them here on our farm this year alone!

Keep me updated, hope you fill the freezer, nothing like a GOOD deer steak and summer sausage, yum!!

kj

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I also am a strong advocate of hunting. I see nothing wrong with it as long as you are eating the meat. I also grew up in Ohio and when the fur trade went south and people were not hunting it seems like you had a huge increase in the tic problem now. My sister has had up to 14 deer at one time on her little 5acres. I also mentioned in another thread, raccoon are quite good eating and the lyons club where I grew up in Danville Ohio,has a raccoon supper it is an annual event. You might want to check it out. It is also a renewable resource .why not eat them as long as you are not over hunting.It is almost impossible not to hit a deer every now and then with your car. My dad used to carry a large knife in his glove compartment just in case.We would have the meat dressed and yeah I love summer sausage.I also love snapping turtle and rabbit.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Does your friend who hunts ground hog eat the meat? I have never heard of anyone eating it before. My husband was joking that a chinese take out could use that as the mystery meat.When we were there we saw quite a few the size of small dogs

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can handle squirrel and rabbit but I'm not into coons and groundhogs.
my brothers ex father-in-law used to cook groundhog and skunk.:thud:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I can handle squirrel and rabbit but I'm not into coons and groundhogs.
my brothers ex father-in-law used to cook groundhog and skunk.:thud:
If you can ask if there is a special cleaning method I might try it.Ground hogs eat a lot of grass, so you would think they would taste OK. My brother used to trap for clothes money, we were poor when my parents were divorced. My mom has hunted rabbit and I have went coon hunting with the dogs. But I wouldn't mind trying rabbit hunting and deer hunting. I have relatives that have bears and stuffed turkeys in their house. I don't really agree with the bear hunting I don't think we have reached the overpopulation stage yet.Even though they say the steaks are good. You should have seen my kids eyes while we were visiting.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not like wild turkey. My FIL to be
cooks one e very Christmas. It is so gamey tasting.
I love deer meat especially venison stew.
Did your kids like it when they were there

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Does fishing count? I can stalk my prey with a corn pole, hook, bobber and a worm. Silent but deadly.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I do not like wild turkey. My FIL to be
cooks one e very Christmas. It is so gamey tasting.
I love deer meat especially venison stew.
Did your kids like it when they were there
My sister is so bad ;we were visiting one time when they were younger and my kids asked what they were eating, they liked it.My sister said Bambi. you should have seen the looks.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I haven't had groundhog yet, but we're planning on roasting a few for the big game feast next year so I'm gathering recipes. When you think about it yes, they're a grass fed animal, not a scavenger and I've been told the young ones are great. A good friend who went through really tough times has prepared more than she can count :)

I've been told to roast a young one with carrots, onions and potatos, just like a roast.

I've also been told muskrat is good to eat, so our trapper is going to bring me a few of them.

The game roast is a HUGE gathering every year, a close friend of ours who duck hunts here owns a hunting store, he grew up on a game preserve and has hunted and fished all his life. This year we had elk, caribou, deer, duck, goose, wild turkey, frogs legs, squirrel, crawfish and oh heck I know I've missed something.

So next year Sharon and I are contributing the muskrat and ground hog dishes :) I may not hunt it but I WILL prepare it and EAT it!

I drive my poor mom NUTS some times, she so wanted me to be a "society lady" giggle :)

And on the overpopulation in Ohio of wildlife, oh trust me, WAY OVERPOPULATED! We have 82 acres and one day I counted 23 deer all at one time. Just the other night I had one almost jump into the side of my truck right in my drive way. And they're so bold we've had them come up and bed down in a short hayfield right in front of us, within 30 yards.

kj

·
Registered
439 Posts
I live in Northeast Ohio and we've had a problem with raccoons having rabies-- so i never figured them for eating. Went hunting for the first time 2 weeks ago and shot a gray squirrel as a contribution for the squirrel stew one of the grandkids wants to make. (Not my grandkid- the grandson of the people who own this property.) I feel a little bad about it, as I don't think the squirrels do anything to hurt anyone, unless it's an acorn on the noggin. We are going to eat it, but it's precious little meat in exchange for one life. Perhaps I'll go for deer next year. There are far too many around here. Almost got a 4-point last week with my truck.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I live in Northeast Ohio and we've had a problem with raccoons having rabies-- so i never figured them for eating. Went hunting for the first time 2 weeks ago and shot a gray squirrel as a contribution for the squirrel stew one of the grandkids wants to make. (Not my grandkid- the grandson of the people who own this property.) I feel a little bad about it, as I don't think the squirrels do anything to hurt anyone, unless it's an acorn on the noggin. We are going to eat it, but it's precious little meat in exchange for one life. Perhaps I'll go for deer next year. There are far too many around here. Almost got a 4-point last week with my truck.
Let me know how you like it, My sister hates squirrels, They got in her house, It was built about 1860 and ripped her insulation out of the attic. She had the hardest time getting rid of them.I always think of the disney chipmunks when I think of her. I laugh at all her wildlife problems. She has a ground hog right now that she is trying to get rid of,It dug into her basement. When she opened the door to go down there, the ground hog was right at the top of the steps. She said she doesn't know who squealed loudest.Out here in CA I just have skunk and raccoon problems and also some possum that are the size of small dogs. We have occasional coyotes.I had a baby skunk come thru a small doggie door I installed for my cats. That was fun. The other thing when we first got married, my husband could not believe that my dad had deer horns on his car. He thought we were totally pulling his leg.

·
Registered
439 Posts
That's hilarious! Some critters may be pesky and some country folk might be 'different', but they're almost all funny! A good friend had a similar run-in with 2 chipmunks on her porch. She opened the door, they saw each other, they screamed/squeaked, and the chippies ran between her legs into the house.

I had my squirrel tail tied to the antenna of my truck.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
On the ground hog in the basement, we had a similiar one but it SCARED THE SNOT OUT OF [email protected] We have an OLD farmhouse with a stone foundation with umm, holes in it. Also a bilco cellar door by the porch (the metal slant low doors) I was walking to the porch (home alone) and the door started rattling!!! LIKE SOMEONE TRYING TO GET OUT!! I went and got my barn dog Cooter, got him hepped up (the old "get it COOTER GET IT") then opened the door, it was a GROUND HOG!!! Cooterdog saved the day, no more ground hog!

And yes, squirrels and chipmunks do a LOT of damage, chewing wires, insulation, FILLING walls with nuts, ugh!

BTW, talked to our muskrat trapper last night, he's going to save me a few of them for the game roast, he calls muskrats "water bunnies" LOL

Yep, life is NEVER dull in the country..

Oh, and squirrel is GOOD EATING!

hmm, I never had antlers/tails on the car/truck, but lots of the guys here had fox tails on the antenna's around here.

kj

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
On the ground hog in the basement, we had a similiar one but it SCARED THE SNOT OUT OF [email protected] We have an OLD farmhouse with a stone foundation with umm, holes in it. Also a bilco cellar door by the porch (the metal slant low doors) I was walking to the porch (home alone) and the door started rattling!!! LIKE SOMEONE TRYING TO GET OUT!! I went and got my barn dog Cooter, got him hepped up (the old "get it COOTER GET IT") then opened the door, it was a GROUND HOG!!! Cooterdog saved the day, no more ground hog!

And yes, squirrels and chipmunks do a LOT of damage, chewing wires, insulation, FILLING walls with nuts, ugh!

BTW, talked to our muskrat trapper last night, he's going to save me a few of them for the game roast, he calls muskrats "water bunnies" LOL

Yep, life is NEVER dull in the country..

Oh, and squirrel is GOOD EATING!

hmm, I never had antlers/tails on the car/truck, but lots of the guys here had fox tails on the antenna's around here.

kj
LOL, The deer horns are these 2 small horns you attach to your car/truck and they were supposed to make a sound that the deer could hear and keep you from hitting so many with your car. Maybe they got sued when it didn't work if not check with your hunting friends maybe they remember them, they could possibly still sell them. It was during the late 70's.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
OHHHH you mean deer chasers!!! We still have those around here, in fact we sell them at work.

I HATE them because they bother ALL animals and if you're hauling horses in an open stock trailer they can drive them NUTS!

LOL, I thought you meant deer antlers on the hood of the car, giggle. (seen funnier things around here though!)

kj

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
OHHHH you mean deer chasers!!! We still have those around here, in fact we sell them at work.

I HATE them because they bother ALL animals and if you're hauling horses in an open stock trailer they can drive them NUTS!

LOL, I thought you meant deer antlers on the hood of the car, giggle. (seen funnier things around here though!)

kj
I have seen cow horns and moose antlers on vehicles. LOL

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Does fishing count? I can stalk my prey with a corn pole, hook, bobber and a worm. Silent but deadly.
I would say fishing counts as you are hunting fish.I have also caught frogs with a fishing pole.:shoot::shoot: I like fishing for bluegill and bass,some pike. I haven't tried trout fishing but it looks like fun. I plan on taking my husband fishing. He has never done it. I wanted to take him ocean fishing, but I think I better start him out at a pond and work our way up. I am trying to get him additional hobbies before his retirement. Plus I have to pay him back. He signed us up for a Kayaking class at Newport beach I think. It was March or April and the guy makes us go out a little ways and flip our kayaks over. The water was so cold, I could not get the rubberband thing off that was holding me in the kayak. Good thing I can hold my breathe a long time. Then you have to row back with the wind freezing you, not my idea of a good time. Why not pick July.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Does your friend who hunts ground hog eat the meat? I have never heard of anyone eating it before. My husband was joking that a chinese take out could use that as the mystery meat.When we were there we saw quite a few the size of small dogs
I remember my father used to hunt ground hog...to me, it tasted alot like pork roast..it was good.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I remember my father used to hunt ground hog...to me, it tasted alot like pork roast..it was good.
Thanks, I am going to have to try it now. If only I could get my sister in the mind to eat the ground hogs, she might never have to buy meat again.:chicken:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts