Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I would post this to you ladies considering there always is great advice on here from all of you.

I have about 12 bras that are gently used, that I have hung on to for the last two years considering most of them were $40-$48 a piece hoping that I could fit back into them eventually. Would you donate or hang on to them until you fit back into them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeanette

·
Registered
906 Posts
If there is any type of stretchy fabric or elastic, you might as well get rid of them. Stretchy stuff looses its stretch and sags after an age.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I'd hang onto them since they don't take up all that much space and start working on a goal to get them to fit again. Start today!

I purged all of my clothes in smaller sizes and now that I'm losing weight, guess who has to go buy clothes again and is wearing jeans that fall down as I'm walking? That's what I get for listening to all the people that say to toss clothing that doesn't fit blah blah blah.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Sara I quietly put my good 'skinny' clothes up on the top shelf of my closet earlier this year, and in a big leaf garbage bag. Now I am losing weight I am eyeing them again also. I'm glad I didn't give them away. I've been taking in the waist on pants ever since I bought this spring. Not quite sure how to do it with these jeans, but we'll see...

If the elastic is good on the bras, I vote for keeping them stored carefully away.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
If you are currently on a weight loss regime and know you will be getting back into the bras I would definately save them. The cost alone to constantly have to purchase new bras because they do not fit is reason enough. If it is a matter that the cup size fits but the band does not go around you back there are extensions you can purchase for the clasp in the back which might help.

If they are in good shape just save them. Like Sara said, they do not take up a lot of space.

Right now I have a bunch of bras waiting for me. Really glad I did not get rid of them since I still remember the cost to purchase them. And they were on sale but it all adds up.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Also, a note to remember. Some bras can be adjusted to fit properly by the stores. Mine come with a guarantee from the store that they will do just that if I lose weight...for free.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As for the bras, you can keep them, just make sure they were washed and put away dry. The elastic can get saggy, but with proper washing they should be ok.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
If they are in good shape, I'd donate them to thrift. It's a deduction on your taxes, and when you get back down to the size you want, you can reward yourself with some NEW bras. You deserve it!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
If there is any type of stretchy fabric or elastic, you might as well get rid of them. Stretchy stuff looses its stretch and sags after an age.
Yeah that...........PLUS.........

BUT.........can't see any info about your age........and I don't know ANYONE...........weight loss or not..........that has 'gotten older'
and gotten smaller..........so......factor your age in there too.

I would say if you are pushing.......or anywhere near.. 'middle age'
or peri-menopausal...............toss them.......diet or not.

The elastic will rot before your boobs shrink to the size!!
:laugh:............sorry.........just a fact of life.........I have
one friend that has stayed 'pretty much' the same but she was pancakes to start with........(she will never know I said this!!)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Think frugal, and hang onto them.
You don't have to buy extensions, just remove a same-colour back eyelet section, and sew it onto the eyelet section of a bra that fits. Use some of these bras for spare parts, because sometimes all it takes to renew a bra is new straps, or hooks. I have a little box of lingeries which I use to refurbish my lingerie-in-use. And how many times I've gained or lost weight, and was able to find lingerie that fit from that box. Saved a bundle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just to let you know, I'm only 31 and I only need to lose maybe 20lbs :), it's not the band that's the problem it's the cup size right now.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
If they are in good shape, I'd donate them to thrift. It's a deduction on your taxes, and when you get back down to the size you want, you can reward yourself with some NEW bras. You deserve it!

The whole getting something in return for donating thing y'all have down there is foreign to me. Here we just donate - end of story. Good deed done. :)

As for the bra's: their size vs your size. Be realistic with yourself. Your age and weight loss goals - would you really be able to fit back into those bras? How long would it take to get back into those bra's? I know they don't take much space to store but if you're not going to be wearing them within the next 2 years or so - I'd donate and buy again as needed. Its like hanging on to your teenage jeans or pre-pregnancy jeans. Sometimes you're just not meant to be that size ever again. KWIM? And if you do succeed in making it back down to that size - will you be at the same proportions?

Some people use their old clothing to either motivate or disappoint themselves...not sure which type of mentality you are IF you are either of those. I have long since donated my 'skinny' clothes. I only have clothes that fit me currently taking up prime retail space in my closet vs my 'previous life' clothes which are a size I long to be.

OP - you mentioned you had 20lb's to lose to fit back into those bras...when you do lose those lb's - will you be the same shape/size or will the weight come from somewhere else on your body?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow!

There are so many different aspects to think about. I have in the past kept on to say a favorite pair of jeans as my goal to fit in to after my weight loss goal. It has worked in the past, but I have other goals for the weightloss other than to be healthier and to look great in a bikini for February in Mexico. Lately I am still waiting for the right time to work out and even I know that time is now rather than any other. But it's best for me to wait until next week when I return from my travels on Monday. I'm usually the type of person who doesn't want to hang on to stuff unless I really have to, because I like living clutter-free.

Libby- the weight when I lose it usually comes from my chest and mid-section. I guess I have a lot of thinking to do :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts