Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to this site. I was wondering if anyone might have some info about how to find out about renting a small parcel of land to start a produce garden?

I have a small gardening business to grow enough produce (tomatoes, peppers, onions, cabbage etc) to sell at our local market.
I'm currently using land from my brother but I'd like to expand and cannot afford to buy a large amount to start with.

I live in Lasalle county Illinois. Any information would be grateful.

Thanks,
Carol

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Hello Carol and welcome to Frugal Village.

I would try to talk to a local farmer and see if you could rent a small piece of his farm. Maybe just an edge of a large field that he works up.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
First of all, you might want to have looked at your zoning ordinance, to make sure that you aren't asking someone to do something they shouldn't. The latest one I found is from 2008, it's here:
http://www.lasallecounty.org/envsvcs/zning/LaSalle County Zoning Ordinance 5-8-08-Revision 3.pdf

The other thing I found was that the farm service agcy has a woman's outreach program, they may be able to help you perhaps? Data about that is here;
Women

Finally, it occurred to me that a communitry garden might fill your needs...or do you need more land than that? In any case, here's a link about IL community garden program

Community Garden

I hope something in here helps and I'm not just telling you stuff you already know!

Judi

·
Registered
933 Posts
Check the adds in your local paper looking for land for lease. Put an add in your local paper looking for land to lease. Give an approximate acreage and what you want to lease the land for. Not everyone wants to lease for crops. We don't. Most people lease by the year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.