Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for about a year i have been pining (ha ha) for a new lane cedar chest. i wanted maple exterior and cedar interior. i discovered they are expensive $800 ish.

it has been a fruitless endeavor.

on ebay have to pay for crating and shipping, and to find new, the local furniture stores say they have them and then when you actually go to the store, they "don't carry them anymore". to make it worse i wanted yellow/orange colored maple on the outside, which no one wants anymore. out of style?

frustrated, off i go to my favorite "used furniture" place in old katy, texas. there it was, sitting in a corner. i always find something at that store.

basically a plain maple box, with ogee feet, working lock, in very good used condition. i would say from the 40s or 50s. cedar inside with all the lane markings. working parts inside.

i bought it for $150 and a $25 delivery charge. it's not here yet.

i dun good. :toothy:

Reactions: Early Bird

·
27,948 Posts
Oh my yes you did, how wonderful to finally get what you wanted. It seems like it was sitting there waiting for you to find it. Enjoy!

Reactions: ladykemma2

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Great find!!! I remember when girls graduating from high school often received a Lane Cedar Chest as a graduation gift. They started filling them with household items for when they left home.

Word of caution about storing things in cedar. They REALLY aren't suggested for heirlooms because of the cedar (ironically enough). The acid and oils from cedar damages textiles, papers and photos and shouldn't be stored where there is cedar. Just one of the many helpful preservation tips from a former Genealogical Library Archivists in charge of textiles, papers and photos.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great find!!! I remember when girls graduating from high school often received a Lane Cedar Chest as a graduation gift. They started filling them with household items for when they left home.

Word of caution about storing things in cedar. They REALLY aren't suggested for heirlooms because of the cedar (ironically enough). The acid and oils from cedar damages textiles, papers and photos and shouldn't be stored where there is cedar. Just one of the many helpful preservation tips from a former Genealogical Library Archivists in charge of textiles, papers and photos.
thanks! i plan to store my woollens in there. there was hardly a cedar odor anyway.

·
19,119 Posts
Congratulations!! what a find!!

Brought back memories - don't know when they stopped doing this, but in the sixties, Lane used to give away jewelry size cedar chests to graduating seniors!! I was so excited when I got mine. Now where did I put it? I'll post a picture when I do find it - so cute!!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did some searching online mine, (not here yet) is from 1948

Reactions: mamamia

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congratulations on your finding your cedar chest.
Care to share the name and address of the used furniture place in Katy?
I live in Hockley about a 30-45 minute drive to Katy.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Congrats on your wonderful find! I hope you will enjoy using it for many years to come!!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Brought back memories - don't know when they stopped doing this, but in the sixties, Lane used to give away jewelry size cedar chests to graduating seniors!! I was so excited when I got mine. Now where did I put it? I'll post a picture when I do find it - so cute!!
Yes!! I have one of these too! Let me know if you can't find it to photograph...mine is sitting in my bedroom, and I wouldn't mind taking a pic to share. What I find amazing is that I've had it for 32 years, moved so many times it isn't funny, and it's still in fantastic shape. And yes, so cute!!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Congratulations on your finding your cedar chest.
Care to share the name and address of the used furniture place in Katy?
I live in Hockley about a 30-45 minute drive to Katy.
in old town katy, on second street there are two antique shops, across the street from each other, with reasonable prices. they deal with old people's estates so see a lot of walnut, cherry, and mahogany furniture. nice stuff. a lot of junk too.

yesterday there was a gorgeous walnut chippendale tall secretary for $250 if that gives you any information. i considered it. nice stuff. gorgeous dining sets, china cabinets, bedsteads. a lot of junk too. my sheraton sideboard, chippendale china cabinet and battered tall secretary are all from this shop. no more than 250 for each one, over the years.

edited to add: they price their stuff to move, so move if you want the piece.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Congratulations on such a great find! Enjoy!

·
19,119 Posts
what a great ad!! Love your piece!! Cannot wait for you to get it!!

LB - better take a picture of yours!! Mine is 46 years old!! Does that make it almost an antiQue?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
That is something so nice to have LadyK! It looks like something you can turn it into a family heirloom. Any daughters? If you can, that ad would be great to own along with the chest. Kinda tells a story to go along with it, kwim?

Enjoy your newfound treasure. It's beautiful!!

Theresa :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Oh what a great find. You waited for exactly what you wanted and got a good price to boot.

Enjoy your Lane cedar chest

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Congratulations!! what a find!!

They did this when I graduated to and I wasn't even born in the sixties. Still have my lane cedar jewelry box and I know right were it is.

I received my real Lane chest for my 16th birthday. Started filling my hope chest right then for when I moved out. We are eating off the dishes my mom collected one at a time as they were grocery store rewards from here local grocery store. You know spend X amount of dollars you an buy a plate of 59 cents. This is what she did to add "silverware" to my hope chest also. Other things add were generally given to me for birthday or Christmas presents.

·
19,119 Posts
Imagine - your post has me wondering if the girls of today even know what a hope chest is and if they still have them!! Life changes, as do hopes!!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Imagine - your post has me wondering if the girls of today even know what a hope chest is and if they still have them!! Life changes, as do hopes!!
My 9 year old girl knows what they are.

Hopes change but everyone needs dishes. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts