Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm certain I'm not the only one here learning (a) foreign language(s). Who else would like to have a group where you can post your language learning plans and post updates on your progress? We could break this down to monthly goals (e.g. learning 10 irregular verbs, being able to read Katakana, revising three pages of vocabulary, reading a book in that language, whatever).

Anybody else interested?

If you're interested:

What language(s)?
What level are you at at the moment?
What do you want to achieve this month?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm in. I've got 7 weeks in which to learn basic Bambara (also known as Bamanankan), an African language. I've got a French instruction book to help me, and a native African husband who can help me the first 5 weeks.

He'll leave for Africa on 15 Feb, I'll follow on 27 Feb and we'll return together on 13 March. I'm meeting the in-laws, most of whom speak (basic) French, but his Mum speaks Bambara only.

My plan: read through the book at least once before we leave, have an hour of Bambara-only every day at our house, and make as many exercises as I can manage between work, baby and husband.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds fascinating. I've never learned any African languages. Any clicks or trills? Those frighten me quite a bit :D
You could ask your husband to record some Bambara sentences, a short & simple story or important phrases for you, so that you can work on your pronunciation and listening comprehension while he's away.
You could also browse the Bambara wikipedia: http://bm.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyɛ_fɔlɔ
I love that aspect of wikipedia. Whether you want to study Latin or the Ripuarian dialect of German, there'll be a wikipedia version for it :D

OK, here are my goals for January:

Japanese
beginner
- get really good at hiragana reading AND writing
- vocabulary, vocabulary, vocabulary (have a lot catching up to do)
(need to work on... well, basically everything)

French
intermediate (?)
- read some Jules Verne at least every week (need to work on my reading comprehension)

Dutch
intermediate (?)
- listen to an audio book at least once a week (need to work on my listening comprehension)

German Sign Language
beginner
- vocabulary revision (don't want to loose the little I have learned so far)

I'll post a summary of languages and goals in a couple of days. Hope there are more language learners out there!

·
Registered
844 Posts
No clicks or frills; Bambara has the same sounds as Dutch and French, that's why I have good hopes of mastering it. I always learnt languages easily, but it's been some time ago that I had to learn one.

Thanks for the Wikipedia suggestion! I hadn't thought about that.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
What language(s)? Spanish
What level are you at at the moment? depends how you look at it. my writing and my verbal are on the opposite sides of the spectrum.
What do you want to achieve this month? re-open my spanish for dummies book

i've taken spanish in 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, and 11th grade and still cant speak the language. its now or never. especially since i plan on taking two semesters of french at the college.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great :)

I did some Spanish as a teenager, but I never got further than "Deseo una tassa de the con leche y azucar por favor" (back then I probably got the spelling right) :D
What are you better at? Writing or speaking? I'm a reading and writing person, and am usually horrible in actual communication. Heck, my English isn't THAT poor, but I still struggle with a simple phone call!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe I found a good strategy to get more Japanese study time into my life.
I donate plasma twice a week, once from my right arm, once from my left arm. If I donate from the left arm, I can pretty much do what I like, usually I correct students' homework. But if I donate from the right arm, I'm reduced to reading, I just can't write with the left hand. So, yesterday, I took my Japanese language material with me, and I achieved quite a bit in revision within one hour. My concentration went down after the first half an hour, but the results were nice, anyway. I might continue doing that on every Friday.

What I've used before is to carry vocabulary cards with me whereever I go, so that if I have to wait somewhere, I can start learning. But I just don't have to wait often enough, and I enjoy having a minute or two to just follow my own thoughts, so that this strategy didn't get me anywhere.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Siebrie and thesightofoneself
Any progress so far?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm in:

I'm trying to learn German by immersion. I have some nice ladies at work helping me learn different phrases and words that I can use at work and when out and about.

I guess my main goal is to learn enough German to feel comfortable to do some travelling. I don't like always asking "Sprechen zie Englisch?" all the time LOL

·
Registered
844 Posts
I know how to count to ten! Next subject: greetings according to the times of the day.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@jennybethg: If you need help with your German and no colleague is around, you may also ask me. I have a secret love affair with grammar. Aber das bleibt unter uns :p

@Siebrie: Great! Ten less words to learn :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'll jump in this! I have known sign language for some 10+ years but have never been proficient in it. I would like to learn enough ASL to feel comfortable to start interpreting classes.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
@phoeny-moonstar: Sounds like fun!

I'm learning a local sign language. For me, the difference in modality is really tough. I'm SO not a visual learner! But the structure of sign languages in general fascinate me, so I HAVE to slave on learning :D I just don't see much progress yet. I think it will get better as soon as I can actually USE the language for communication, watching videos, etc.

·
Registered
663 Posts
@Siebrie: Great! Ten less words to learn :D[/QUOTE said:
What a great attitude!

I know basic Spanish (had to take classes for work and thru out high school) but I'm going to re-visit this on wikipedia.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yesterday I could tell my husband (phonologically): 'ee moosoh nyooman nana'

(your handsome wife has come home)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Progress everywhere! Great!

Yesterday, I browsed through my hiragana-coloring book. When I got it, I may have recognized a quarter of the hiragana signs. By now, I can read those words fairly easily. And my vocabulary has grown, too. Yeah!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been to the library yesterday, and discovered that they had a load of French language audio books. Huray! I also got a set of "Learn French without book" audio tapes. They are for people who learned French and forgot lots, so instead of teaching everything as if it were new to you, they just revise stuff. Perfect for me :D I also got myself a new Dutch novel. They have a terribly small selection there. It's difficult to find something I'd like.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well, I haven't been able to practice as much as I've liked but I have gotten some in. In my group of friends a couple of them are wanting to refresh their own ASL so, we are going to rent books from the library and do it all together. :D

·
Registered
844 Posts
I can greet everyone now, and reply when I am greeted.

Next subject: personal pronouns and some nouns

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've revised my first few kanji (eek!), and started with the audio French class. I was afraid I would have to start at the very beginning, but I remember more from schooldays than I thought.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts