Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to have issues with my laptop. For a year now I have to snap the letter C back on. Then this weekend the C and the space bar didn't want to work. I restarted the laptop, it worked for a while, quit again, restarted again and is still working - for now.

This what I use my laptop for - surfing the net, watching Amazon Prime, Excel for my budget. I currently have a 17" screen.

With that information - would you buy a laptop or a tablet and please explain why you would make that choice. I have a feeling I will need to replace mine soon or I will not be able to get all my pictures off of it before the keys stop working altogether.

I guess there may be another option - Can a compter shop do anything about the keys not wanting to work?

Any help is appreciated!!

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd suggest a newer laptop. The only laptops that I've had bad keyboard experiences with are old ones. Assuming you're not pounding on the keys or anything, lol. :p Tablets can be really annoying, especially cheap ones, and there's not always a lot of customization options. Also, not all programs that work on laptops work on tablets. Dunno if Excel would work on a tablet. It definitely can't work on mine! (which is a cheap android) Neither does netflix or any online video sites other than youtube. I'm sure newer, more expensive tablets are way better but in my experience laptops are just so much nicer. More options, more storage, not to mention easier to use, no pesky touchscreen and stupid "keyboard" on the screen.
They're about the same cost as far as price goes, if you're getting a good quality tablet (not a $100 one like mine), from $200 to $300. My laptop is a Toshiba, has a 16 inch screen, and was around $250. I've had it for a couple years and it's still running great, hasn't once gone all blue screen of death on me. Best computer I've ever had.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My laptop is an HP and 3 years old. I might be kind of hard on the keyboard....the one button by the touch pad is kind of messed up :whistle:

before the HP I had a Dell but had to replace the battery yearly. My brother works for them and I told him I'd never buy another one. lol

Thank you for the information!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Go for the laptop. I find you can't always go on a normal website with a tablet and you could be restricted to mobile websites.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The new windows tablets should do everything you want it to, as it uses whatever the current windows os is. You can always get one of the cases with an attached keyboard for data entry.

I have an ipad, which definitely won't run Excel. As far as watching Prime or Netflix, it works great. Surfing the net is generally fine, although there are a few sites that don't work well (Lowe's, for example).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would personally recommend that your purchase laptop for two reasons. A laptop is everything that a tablet is and you will get more bang for your buck by purchasing a laptop. You could spend loads of money getting a tablet or spend a fraction of the cost purchaing a laptop that does more than a tablet. Doing spreadsheets on a tablet is not fun . . . plus you get a larger screen with the laptop. All the pros with none of the added costs if you go the laptop root.

--Money Dummyz

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the advice and information! I know/knew nothing about a tablet. I do love my bigger screen and not crazy about giving it up. Now that I've heard other reasons to let a laptop my decision has been made. Now I just need to research which laptop to get.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
379 Posts
I prefer the full-sized computer if you EVER type much or do any digital photo work. It's like an adult computer for all the little details. The little tablet is nice for a reader, email, appointments calendar, maybe sales person notes. If you do buy a tablet, get a major name brand & model as some of the off label companies like Google products are selling something almost not compatible with any of the services without paying extra for Google memberships with lots less functionality than say a Ipad.

If you table is a dell, it is VERY common for keyboard to fail. While you can have keyboard replaced, other components eventually start to fail so better just to get a new one. Some of the laptops are very difficult to work on so will need to pay for extra technician time at geek squad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts