Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on that one vintage site and saw a larding needle mentioned. I have never heard of one and had to know what it was. lol

A very useful tool when wanting to add some flavor to a piece of meat. Use the sharp end to create holes in the meat. Then secure a piece of bacon or strip of lard onto the sharp end and then wrap around the needle. Hold the larding needle with the mouth open and wrap the end of the bacon around the teeth and then close the mouth thus securing the other end of lard or bacon. Then insert the larding needle into the piece of meat and when almost to the end, open the mouth and pull back out leaving the lard inside the meat.
source: happycookers.com

I learned something new today. :toothy:

·
27,948 Posts
ooh that looks painfull! Don't work with lard much myself.:toothy:
That looks like it would be good for pulling string through a narrow opening too.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Looks interesting, I think!? Glad I did not have to ever use one of those things. I just know that I would hurt myself.:toothy:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Okay I learnt something new today as well. I had seen one of those a number of years ago and wondered what it was. Don't think I'll be using one in the near future though - I'm with Darlene, don't work with much lard myself either!!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I think that is a great little gadget. It would be great for adding flavor to cheaper cuts of meat, even better than a bacon wrapped filet I bet :D . I have to agree, I don't use lard ever but I would use it with bacon. Thanks for showing it to us Sara.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Thanks Sara, I just asked what that was in your Kitchen of 1886 post! :D

I love learning something new everyday! But I don't think I will be using this gadget either. My grandma used lard a lot in baking but I don't know about cooking.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I learned something new as well...... this is from a day when fat wasn't a concern.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts