Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~According to US census data, the average household has 3.18 people in it. That could be interpreted alot of ways so you can make your own guesses as to what a "large" family is(my guess is 5 or more members). I came from a large family; I was 4th in a family of 5 children. My parents are still together, so growing up there were 7 of us. We're currently an average sized family of 4. Anyone else come from or currently parenting a large family?~

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Our family is 5 kids and 2 parents. Definitly above average.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I come from a family with 5 kids. I was the 4th. I only have one child though.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I am the oldest of six. I have four myself. I'm often surprised that people consider my family "large"....it doesn't seem very large to me.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
We have 3 children. I was the only child, so our family seems large to me. My grandmother had 8 children. Now that a LARGE family. :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Youngest of 7
I have only 1

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I'm the oldest of 4, so growing up there were 6 of us all together.

In my family now I have 3 little girls, but we're not done yet. ;)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
My tupperware lady is one of 20 children, born to the same two parents, all lived in the same house.

I have three kids and I concider that a large family...especially when we're trying to get everyone loaded in the van. it seems like i have six kids then.

DH is the oldest of 4 and i am the oldest of 2.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My grandparents raised me as their own -- they have 5 children and I make 6. I don't have any children yet, but only plan on having 1 or 2. We'll see. ;)

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Well between DH and I we have 7 kids and then the 2 of us, we're bigger than the Brady Bunch but not as rich, shoot not even close, we broke! lol

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
At our house there are 2 parents(been married nearly 23 years) and 10 children....and yes, they are all ours:) Dh is the 2nd of 7....I am the only(I really hated not having someone to fight w/as a kid)one.
After #5, the social pressure really got to me about having a large family...you know, the ugly looks, the rude comments...& I caved & had my tubes tied (BIG mistake). Then almost 3 yrs later, I had it reversed & went on to have 6 more babies (the first baby after the reversal was miscarried).I still have a few good childbearing years left & I am hoping to have a few more before that dept. shuts down:)lol
The stares, etc. that we get when we are out don't bother me anymore...& I find it odd that I no longer hear anymore rude comments..instead I have people come up to me with positive things to say. I have definitely learned a hard lesson: When you try to please others, the only person that you are hurting is yourself.
So if you have a large family....please ignore all of the negativity.......you are so richly blessed:)

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am the only girl in a family of 6 children. My grandparents had 11 children.
I personally have 2 children. I had always wanted a very large family(maybe 8-10) but my DS wound up being very disabled and medically it's dangerous for me to have more children. I am still very disappointed about that. Having healthy kids (and many of them) seem to come so easy to some people. I might look into adoption in the future when I get married again and am hopefully financally better off.
I do think there is a stigma attached to large families these days.
I read an article by a rabbi( that one that's always on Oprah) and he has many kids(like 9 I think) and was talking about how people are much more accepting of dogs than children and it's so true.
I think children are an absolute blessing and I don't see why people would ever by choice have 1 or 2.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
mama of 2 rug rats, I wholeheartedly agree w/you that people love to stereotype. I had discussed adopting w/dh...whenever we cannot have anymore children of our own,I would love to adopt siblings..3-4 of them under age 6 ,that are endangered of being split up. But adoption has been kind of an unspeakable avenue w/him after what we went through when we were going to adopt our 15 yr old nephew about 3 yrs ago. In this case,I was happy that we did not decide to go through w/ the proceedings. With younger children, it would be easier, I think.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Dh and I have 3 kids, and for the only child of two only children, this family is humongous for me!
My brother and sister in-law are pregnant with their #7.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm the youngest of 4, so my family always jokes that I have to have at least 4 kids myself or else I'll always wonder who the fourth would've been. It's very odd to me to think that if my parents would've stopped at 3, I wouldn't be here....

I want to have at least 4 myself. I've seen many families of 2 kids where the siblings don't get along and it's non-stop fighting and 3 kids where 2 always gang up on the other one. Four seems like a good round number to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have 4 children. Dh and I were each the oldest of 4, but each lost an infant sibling, so really more like the oldest of 3. We live in an area where 3-5 children is very typical, so I'm always surprised when we go other places and the comments start about "all those kids".

·
Registered
663 Posts
Family size

I'm number 5 in a family of 10 kids. One bathroom! LOL! Now I'm a single parent of one. I agree that there are stereotypes about "large" families, but I get c-r-a-p for "only having one". I stopped at one because I knew I could not afford - mentally, physically, emotionally - any more! And our home has two bathrooms! Thank God!!:tp:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I was the oldest of 4 growing up and DH was an only child. When we married, I had 3 children and he had 2 so we became a blended family of 5 children.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I have 4 wonderful kiddos, and would have more, but the last birth was very traumatic on dh and he went to get clipped....grrrr.

I'm the youngest of 3, my mom one of 17 and my dad one of 10. Dh was one 2, and his parents were one of 3 respectively.

I get the comments all the time. And have learned to respond positively to all of them. I'd rather have my hands full than empty. My home is a small community, I never need to worry about 'socialization'. Every family is different, what's right for my family, isn't necessarily right for yours.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts